Doctor Who

The Name of the Doctor

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM May 18, 2013 on BBC America

• who to keep the doctor going

do the same thing as the master did with the magic thing da

if you re on they should do the same and the 12 is Peter Capaldi

if you think thet should type yes doctor

• don't like the constant change

I didn't start watching the show until 2005 when Billie Piper and the 9th doctor started it's a cool show but I can't deal with the constant change on the show I love Billie Piper they replaced her I really like Amy Pond they replaced her with the 50th celebration going on I understand that change was the premise of the show but I can't deal with losing favorite characters so I am out but the rest of you enjoy
  • The name of the doctor

I thought it was a good episode. I wish we could have heard the name of the doctor, and I didn't like the great intelligence very much but I did like the introduction of the other doctor. I think it was a very suspenseful ending and i cant wait till November to figure out who the new doctor was.
  • Just bad !

No surprise ! That is the worse ending ever !! Please Russel T Davis, come back !!
  • In the name of viewing pleasure!

Rarely does a series finale deliver. I'm not just talking about Who, but in general, across the board, in all of TV land. And this did. And then did some more. You know you watched something special when it slips to the fore of your conscious days later, triggering a plexy of excitement and anticipation for the next episode. One so far off in November.

My favorite part was the reveal of where the opening scene of the episode was taking place. This was closely followed by any tidbit that expanded on the mythology of Doctor Who and his universe. And that includes the twist ending. Got to love a story that in its last part giving an ending that results in you reinterpreting everything that came before. Classic Moffat.

Incidentally that's also the definition of a joke. I hope come November we don't find out this is one deux ex machina themed one. But I got a feeling it won't be.
  • Well, now here goes Mr. Smith!

So, John Hurt will be the 12th Doctor this coming November. The golden anniversary of the original series' premier. Not bad timing! Even so, that brings us one step closer to the much-dreaded final regeneration. Where we, the fans, will finally have our long-awaited answer to that much-asked question: will the 13th Doctor become the sinister Valyard?

As to this episode? It answered some less-pressing (yet still highly intriguing) questions. Two of them, to be exact. How was Clara present in all those different time periods, simultaneously? And, does the Great Intelligence really deserve his name?

I will answer the second one, myself: definitely not!

Because, he hadn't been so myopically obsessed with revenge, he would have realized that what can be undone can be redone. What can be erased and rewritten can be erased, again, and written as before. As to the first question?

I never saw that coming. I mean, of all the possible explanations for Clara's counterparts through time, chronospatial splintering never once occurred to me! In fact, the last time such a plot device was used was during the 4th Doctor era. When Count Scarlioni turned out to be a one-eyed alien who unintentionally gave rise to life on Earth!

Proof, once again, that the writers for this show are still doing the original series justice, more often than not.
  • epic end for a disappointing season

Well, we all suspected Moffat would not really coin a name for the Doctor ( unless he wanted hordes of fans to hunt him with pitchforks ) . Sure, having River say it without us hearing it is a bit of a cheat, but the implications of the last scenes are quite interesting. The Doctor now has a plausible psychological reason to keep his name secret, since he associates it with something shameful he did ( or will do, since time-travel is such a tricky thing ) while wearing John Hurt's face, and "the Doctor" is who he wants to be.

I still don't like Clara and find her too bland to fill the Ponds' shoes yet, but her trip through the Doctor's timeline was well done - actually, it's too bad we didn't witness more than little snippets of Simeon attacking the Doctor and Clara saving him ( I know some of the actors are dead, but you could have a full scene with either Eleven of Ten ! ). I hope she'll evolve a bit in the future, at least she's got something unique now, being the only full-time Companion to know the Doctor's name : I wonder how it will affect her ...

Oh, and Vastra, Jenny and Strax ! They're always a delight, even in mediocre episodes !

Of course, River steals the show, as she always does, and that was oddly satisfying to have her timeline finally move past the Library episodes. I know some ( many ? ) people don't like River, and it's true she's been overexposed during season 6, but it's hard denying Kingston's got great chemistry with Matt Smith, even if they only interact for one scene.

The sight of a mammoth-sized TARDIS was creepily beautiful, wasn't it ?

The only really disappointing thing I can think of is the villains. These "Whisper men" have only ill-defined motives and abilities right now : the next Weeping angels, or Silence, they aren't.
  • And Remember...

Very uneven season ended on the best episode of the season. I find it weird that the series provides the best finale in a long time in a season that hasn't been as good as the few previous ones. The acting of Matt Smith and Jenna Coleman was some of the finest acting (but I don't really know a thing or two about acting so that isn't saying much... I just found their performances more believeable than most I've I've seen in TV for a while.

So yeah... I loved this episode. One of the best season finales I've seen. If you don't agree with me... It doesn't bother me.
  • Playing with timelines.

Just because you can, does't mean you should.
  • wow. that was amazing

I am speechless. the opening, the ending, the impossible girl, trenzalore, the whispermen, the music. everything in this episode was masterfully made.

this was one of the most serious Matt smith episodes and the doctor feels very sad in this episode. its some really great acting and its even better than his acting in the angels take Manhattan.

then there was the revelation of Clara

and the ending. it was all so well done and is easily the best series finale. in fact this is my favorite episode since blink. overall this is a masterful episode
  • It Hurts

After a number of lame ducks of episodes, this was truly one to wait for. I've liked Clara since the Asylum (which impressed me because Coleman was not someone I felt could fill the considerable Pond shoes) and this episode was really bloody brilliant in explaining why she was impossible. It was almost too simple when the Intelligence revealed his plan, but it worked and it was beautifully executed. As for those last three minutes... my money's on one or nine, because there are two time periods we haven't really explored: pre-"The Doctor" and the Time War. Bring it on. Also, hoooooo boy, that kiss! First one the squirmy Doctor has initiated!
  • Disappointing

Disappointing end to a very disappointing season.

I'm looking forward to the day where the writers are more interested in providing a good story then they are of showing everyone just how clever they are.
  • Wow I did see this coming.

Well Moffat give us the best season finale in years with a mind blowing ending all I can say is I can't wait tell the fall. So many questions and I hope a lot of answers.

It was nice to see River again I am not really a fan but it was nice to see her after the events of the library and to go inside the Doctor tomb was kind of sad knowing that he will die someday just something you really never think about. All we come to know is when the Doctor dies he just regenerate to another Doctor.

Also Moffat did what I love and somehow got almost all the Doctors into one story that was wonderful. I will be watching this over and over again to catch what I missed.

Loved this episode!!! Wish I could time travel to November to see what comes next.