Doctor Who

The Power of Three

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Sep 22, 2012 on BBC America

• Home Invasion

After two episodes I personally didn't think were entirely up to speed (for me anyway), this episode gives the season a little gas again. What I like about this episode is for once actually seeing the Doctor having his feet on the ground for once, but also getting a glimpse of contemporary reality with Amy and Rory.

I like how all three at first have a little trouble coping with contemporary reality, Amy and Rory see how their time away from earth has affect their living sittuation, from little things like unwashed clothing and even spoiled food, to even the big things like their careers and time with friends. The Doctor stays for a few days with the case of the cubes which of course is the Maguffin of the episode, it was funny seeing how restleless he was not having anything to dowhich of course gave both Rory and Amy unintentional grief, he should think of buying a video game concole. A funny moment was seeing what activites the Doctor did to help himself think and pass time as we see him paint the entire fence, do chores in the yard and house, and juggle a soccer ball all within one hour which is impressive by human standards.

But we see that as Amy and Rory have spent a little less time with adventures with the Doctor their lives do get better. Amy as we see helps one of her friends out by attending a wedding as a bridesmaid, so she's starting to become a little more soically active again. And Rory has a slight promotion in his career, so he's close to not being a scrub anymore.

One moment I thought was really funny was one medical case Rory had where a wheelchair bound kid accident has his foot stuck in a toilet. That moment looked like something out of the TV show "Childrens Hospital" from the case's absurd nature but really showed that Rory's career is anything but dull, as if he could have a show of his own.

Even the Doctor as he hears about this change in their lives, gives contemporary reality one more chance and realizes standing still isn't that bad. Liked two little moments when we see Amy, Rory, and the Doctor eat fishsticks and custard together, yuck I can never do that. As well as seeing the Doctor playing "Mario Tenis" it's just funny seeing how imersed in the game he became. So as we see Amy and Rory's lives really aren't so boring or bad at all. But we see the moment when the Doctor takes Amy and Rory on a few adventures together, just seeing those clips made me wonder what those adventures were.

And of course I liked some of that mystery with the cubes, it had it's suspense as we saw each cube did something different. But also it's humor as the Doctor was in a bad sittuation where a cube has given his two hearts a cardac arrest, we see Amy save the Doc with a portable defibulator it makes sense since her husband is in the medical field so she learned a thing or two from him.

This episode had certain lesions like that things constantly changes whether your moving or standing still, you can have a balance of both adventure and contemporary reality in your life, but most importantly is simply togetherness. One of the reasons I really love the tri dynamic with Amy, Rory, and the Doctor is that it's a family dynamic and that's something the Doctor has never really had. I liked that one moment when he has a talk with Amy about his behaviour but also why he doesn't want to be out of their lives, it was touching because it's true being the Doctor can be lonely and sadly he's never really had any roots.

The only bad thing about the episode is I thought the payoff on the nature of the cubes was kinda lame when we find out what they really are for, as well as it's resolution. But as I said before I was into this episode for Amy, Rory, and the Doctor so this is something I can get past.

Overall a soild episode and of course the next one will be the final journey for Amy and Rory, hopefully they'll make it out alive but after what the doctor said about his companions fates I'm not entirely sure.