Doctor Who

The Power of Three

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Sep 22, 2012 on BBC America

• a bored doctor is not boring.

Positives: Dr., Amy & Rory trying to live 'normal' lives. The doctor trying to entertain himself. Rory's dad is pretty funny. A new Leffbridge-Stewart character introduced.

Negatives: Rory & Amy had plenty of time to rescue the other humans on the spaceship before it blew up - and yet they just left them there & watched the doctor wave his screwdriver around.

Using the "sonic screwdriver" to um, reverse worldwide heart attacks The "sonic screwdriver" should never be used as the solutions to episodes, that's just lazy!

They called it the power of 3 yet they kept featuring Rory's dad which would kind of make it 4.
  • The pun it hurts.

I actually really liked this one. The plot holes aside (people don't just get back up again after their hearts stop for minutes and minutes), the humor of this episode really sold it to me. Seeing the Doctor's frustration at an alien thing which doesn't do anything but sit there really made me laugh. And his excitement when it began flying and shooting him really reminded me of how much the Doctor is a sucker for dangerous situations.

Dad Pond was lovely. The Ponds were awesome. And they brought in UNIT! Yay!
  • Still Getting Back on Track

I love Doctor Who and I realize that I have a tough love mentality when it comes to viewing episodes. It's tough love, you understand. Many episodes in this series are not only 'good DW stories', but great drama in general. I've been having some issues with this current series, as it has not taken off the way I would have wanted it to.

The series opened with 'Asylum of the Daleks', a fairly middling episode which was saved by a great ending twist. We then took some planet sized steps back with the mostly embarrassing 'Dinosaurs on a Spaceship'. This episode certainly featured a low point of the entire series since it started up again in 2005: riding a triceratops like a camel. Seriously. Not Matt Smith's worst episode (that would go to 'Curse of the Black Spot') but it was getting there. Then came 'A Town Called Mercy', which was mostly solid despite Smith's Doctor making some questionable character choices based on his past. (Not sure about how he initially handled finding out about Jex by leaving him out to die without hesitation. Smith's Doctor never really seemed like this ever, but eh.) Still, a fairly solid episode, but nothing too fantastic yet.

So, here we are with 'The Power of Three'. The episode continues the move in the right direction for the series but it fails to really get a spark going. The idea of the boxes landing from the sky was done quite well, and their malicious intentions were kept in well shrouded mystery. I'm still waiting for Rory and Amy to exit the show once and for all, so observing them having their 'choose' conversation was quite intriguing. Where this episode fails (like some other DW episodes) is the ending. This episode takes place over the course of 9 months, but The Doctor is able to fix the situation in roughly a minute. It doesn't KILL the episode, but it takes a whole lot of the impact away. Before you even know it, the alien spaceship is a fireball and The Doctor is saying his goodbyes to Unit once more. Perhaps there was more to the episode, but it had to be cut?

Still, 'The Power of Three' is a step in the right direction. I still want a GREAT episode out of this first half of series 7 though. The Weeping Angels return (once again) next episode, and their past presences brought some of the great Doctor Who stories to our televisions (Blink, Time of Angels & Flesh and Stone). I'm excited for the next episode, but I just hope Doctor Who can get its edge back before the half-series finale.
  • "the year of the slow invasion"

Now that's the Doctor Who I like ! There were great character interaction : the Doctor's heart-to-heart talk with Amy and his explanation for his behaviour was touching and heartfelt ( great acting from Matt Smith here ), his chemistry with Kate Stewart was interesting ... and his dialogue with Brian about the Companions' fate ( another great scene for Smith ) made me very, very worried for next week's episode. Anyway, there was plenty of mystery, plenty of humour, and that's the way it should be. The only thing I could complain about is that the resolution of the crisis was quite weak, but after such an episode, it can be easily forgiven.