Doctor Who

The Shakespeare Code

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Apr 07, 2007 on BBC America

• "What fools these mortals be."

Puck said that to the audience, in "A Midsummer Night's Dream." And, evidently, that's how the Carrionites saw us. As fools who would help them re-emerge into this universe, and reconquer it. But, the Doctor is nobody's fool! A fact he proved once again, with the immeasurable help of Martha Jones. I must confess, I was initially stymied when he kept muttering about "fourteen" sounding so familiar. At first, i thought it was just the fact that it represents both one more than thirteen (an unlucky number) and the doubling of seven (the polar opposite). Then, I thought: "What if these witches represent scarred survivors of Logopolis?" That is; the mathematical race introduced during the last days of the 4th Doctor era. But, the writers fooled me! They have introduced another race from "the dark days of the early universe." The spider-like Racnoss being the first. Makes me wonder how many war-like races existed following the Big Bang. And, just what percentage of those were personally fought and vanquished by the Time Lords? Probably a lot more than two (i.e., the Racnoss and the Giant Vampires)! In any event, I enjoyed the quaint and creepy mystery of this episode. Immensely and shamelessly. It was like an Elizabethan version of a "Scooby Doo" cartoon! Only, without the talking Great Dane.