Doctor Who

Victory of the Daleks

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Apr 17, 2010 on BBC America

• disappointed..

im a huge Dr who fan, but this was just the worst episode i've ever seen....amy is useless and so is Matt smiths performance.... dr who use used to have alot of heart and soul. but now its has some how become about visual effects..why? i jst dont know.. hope it gets better , i really do...
  • Victory of the Daleks

Victory of the Daleks was a perfectly awesome and very entertaining episode of Doctor Who. I really enjoyed watching because the story was intriguing and it was interesting to see Winston Churchill along with some Daleks who escaped The Time War. I liked how The Doctor knew all to well something else was going on and it was fun watching him try to prove it. The New Daleks were awesome and powerful. I liked that they each had a different color armor. The ending was great and the mysterious crack continues to appear adding some suspense and mystery. I liked how every thing played out and look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • I didn't see even one eyebrow raised at Amy's micro-skirt!

Recent seasons have addressed and somehow fixed the assistants outfits to fit the time they're in, but in this episode, I didn't see even one eyebrow raised at Amy's micro-skirt!

As far as the rest of the show, I took many breaks while watching it, which I don't if I find a show very interesting. The scene with the Dr and Amy going back and forth repeatedly about how long he'd take to return so he could deactivate the Dalek robot that thought he was human, well it got old after the second or third back-and-forth, yet they still went on.

The previews for the show that follows has statues, so that's promising, since the other "statues" show was my favorite. I really want to continue to love this show!
  • the daleks win.

another great episode from doctor who, not without it's flaws but still a fine episode. I guess the main flaw with this episode was that it was a bit rushed, the daleks plan was revealed too early in the episode, i'd have preffered it if they used a bit more time to build up the suspence, it would have probably done better as a 2 parter or at least an extended episode. however this was still a great dalek episode and I like the fact that they won since it will make them easier to bring back later. also some unanswered questions, like why amy didn't rememeber the daleks invading before, probably something to do with the cracks appearing in time.
  • Winston Churchill has called the Doctor to Earth during the blitz, where he and Amy find the British to have an unexpected 'ally'... the Daleks! Could easily have been a classic, but still one of the much better modern 'Who' stories...

I was really looking forward to this episode. The Daleks in a World War II setting sounding very appealing and had a lot of potential. Sadly, due to an unfocused mid-section, 'Victory of the Daleks' does not wind up as the 100% classic that it might have been, but I still found it to be a very good episode, and one of my favourite episodes of modern 'Doctor Who'.

It is written by one of the show's best writers, Mark Gatiss, who often comes up trumps with his stories, and certainly does a good job with this one. Over the years, the Daleks have sometimes been compared to Nazis, so this is an interesting spin – appearing in WWII, yet on the British side!

I loved the first 15 minutes or so – just what are the Daleks doing in WWII London? Surely they can't be as peaceful as they appear? It was wonderful. Sadly, the midsection of the story becomes too cluttered. The reverse of one of my (few) gripes about the previous two episodes, 'The Eleventh Hour' and 'The Beast Within', which were very stretched in the middle, 'Victory...' actually suffers for having a little TOO much going on.
    The World War II setting is wonderful, but in mid-section, with the Doctor on the Dalek's ship, the WWII element at times seems almost coincidental, and not used to its full potential.

Amy has some good moments in this episode, but this is defiantly the Doctor's story, and once again Matt Smith does very well. As much as I liked Tennant, I am enjoying (and warming to) Matt Smith's incarnation eminently more.

Then there is the new Dalek design. I had heard, from reading about this new series on-line, that the Daleks were having a redesign, but had avoided it until it appeared on-screen. And as much as I am willing to give new things a try (hey, we all did with Matt Smith and Karen Gillan just a couple of weeks ago!), I'm afraid I don't really like the new Dalek design. I like the various colours they are in (a nod back to various vintage appearances), but they just look so clunky (and with obvious room for operators inside!), a step back in that department I'm afraid, IMO.

This story raced by. I really enjoyed it, but as I mention above, my main gripe is that there is too much thrown in, at the expense of the WWII setting. Personally I can't help but feel that this one would have worked better as a two-parter, to allow more breathing space, but alas, it wasn't to be.

All-in-all, this IS an excellent episode, but sadly it falls short of being the classic it might well have been. Still one of my favourite modern 'Who' stories though, and I give it a decent 9 out of 10.
  • The Daleks are back and the show lets us down a bit by falling very short of the mark!

Our third instalment of the new series of Doctor Who was set up quite nicely and indeed looked promising. It started off quite well to, with the Doctor being called to London by Winston Churchill, and arriving (a month late) to find Daleks scooting around fighting for Britain in World War II.

That said, I felt that they did not explore the ideas in this episode as well as they should of done. The ideas were great, The Daleks masquerading as inventions to help win the war but were actually serving a secret plan to recover from the events of the Stolen Earth/Journeys End story. The reveal of brand new shiny (multicoloured) Daleks. Amy not even remembering the Daleks and when there were planets in the sky, even though that would have been impossible to miss (unless your Donna Noble of course).

All of those ideas were good and could have worked well, but they did screw up a bit this time, which is not good for a Dalek episode or a WWII episode. The Doctor just seemed to shout at the Daleks for a bit after the demonstration of them blowing up Nazi fighters, proceed to go aboard the Dalek ship leaving Amy behind, get cornered into a difficult position and then leave.

Amy didn't seem to do anything in this episode either, she had a few funny moments but that was it, the writers have yet to do something that interesting with her, which is a shame because she has loads of potential.

The way the actor portrayed Winston Churchill, I was half expecting him to start going "OH YES!" any minute.

Despite this, there are some good enjoyable moments in this episode. The new Daleks look great, I am going to miss the old ones, but still. I am sure there must be a reason for them all being different colours, but it did seem a little weird. We have always had different Daleks with different paint jobs, but not at the same time before, unless you count Dalek Sec or the Supreme Dalek. However, they did look very cool, and may, at some point, be viewed as more threatening, although not yet as this episode lacked the most important element of a Dalek episode, and that was "FEAR".

Continuing with the good things, the Doctor's reactions in this episode were priceless, some good acting on the part of Matt Smith.

The Space battle with the Spitfires was great as well. Excellent work with CGI, and very impressive looking and exciting.

Overall, this episode wasn't bad, but left much to be desired and wasn't as good as a Dalek episode should be. The jury is still out on the new Daleks and hopefully Amy will get to do something great soon that will bring her up to the standards of previous companions like Rose, Sarah-Jane, Martha and Donna.

Saying that, I know it looks like I think the episodes have gone downhill from week to week, but so far the new series has failed to really impress me, but looking at the preview of next week's episode, we all might be in for a treat, or at least, I hope we are!
  • The Ironsides Written by Mark Gatiss Directed by Andrew Gunn

The Doctor: "You are everything I despise. The worst thing in all creation. I've defeated you time and time again, I've defeated you. I've sent you back into the void. I've saved the whole of reality from you. I am the Doctor and you are the Daleks."

It's amazing that back in August 2009 when this episode was being filmed that a raw version of the above piece generated a pointless amount of uproar. Some fans were annoyingly convinced that Matt Smith was going to be a terrible Doctor but that's already been proved wrong by now, hasn't it?

So, the Daleks, eh? Am I supposed to be shocked that Steven Moffat would bring them into the fifth series? No, but I am grateful that a) he did it in an early episode of the season b) that it was one episode and not a two parter and c) that he didn't write the episode himself. If this is the only appearance of the Daleks this season, will we have to wait until Season 6 before he pens an episode with the longest running foe of the Doctor?

Fortunately though, Mark Gatiss is more than flipping skilled to tackle the Daleks and a World War 2 backdrop almost seems a little atypical for him as well. After all, both "The Unquiet Dead" and "The Idiot's Lantern" were period settings and it made sense to throw the Daleks into Churchill's era during the war.

Churchill believed that the rather scatty Bracewell had created the Ironsides (what the Daleks go by here) to win the war and he wasn't having any of the Doctor's guff about their true purpose. After all, everyone except the Doctor was blissfully ignorant of the Daleks in this episode.

When I said everyone that also included Amy. A fair amount of stuff happened in this story but Amy's ignorance of the Daleks was the thing that stood out the most in this one. How the hell could she not know about them? Was she living underwater during their worldwide attack in Season 4 or what? The best part about that however was the Doctor taking notice and confronting the issue head on towards the episode's closing moments.

Because of her ignorance, Amy was willing to give the Daleks a break. She believed herself that Bracewell invented the wretched things and even cheekily asked one what their true motives were because she was still sceptical of the Doctor's claims of them being aliens. I think this was a time when scepticism didn't do Amy any favours.

But the interesting thing about this episode was that the wait didn't last long. The Daleks could've (and might've if this had been a two episode story) kept the pretence of niceness going a while longer but all the Doctor had to do was flip out and attack one for the Dalek to let it's mask slip.

But even then, things got more and more interesting. It wasn't Churchill that the Daleks were interested in; it was getting one up on the Doctor. The khaki looking Daleks needed him to identify them so a progenitor could help them make a batch of new pure Daleks and there in itself lay something that's been much discussed in the build up to this episode.

Revamping the Daleks was always going to be a risky thing. Too many changes and it might not look like a Dalek and far too little and people would be wondering what they were supposed to be looking at. With this episode, all we got were five Daleks in different colours, a chunkier look and a living eye on the eyestalk, which close up did look quite creepy and effective.

Other than that, this new bunch of Daleks were oddly familiar. They happily destroyed the old Daleks that ushered in their birth and made countless rants about wanting to exterminate the Doctor. In some ways, there's a lot in this episode that doesn't really reinvent the wheel as such. Even their motives are still within character.

They knew as soon as they placed the Earth in danger; the Doctor would everything in his power to stop them. Except this time around, it was what they wanted. By distraction, the Doctor ended up letting the new Daleks slip out of his fingers and there was a very huge tone of regret when Amy tried to reassure him as well.

The Doctor's scenes with the Daleks on their ship were well written enough. I did love the joke with the Jammie Dodger as a potential bomb and the Supreme Dalek talking about the Doctor's compassion being a weakness. The actual victory in this episode seemed to be an intellectual one with the promise of reprisals further down the line.

The Doctor was still able to stop them from destroying Earth with Bracewell, which led to one of the stronger moments of the episode. I liked the idea of Bracewell as a robot and I certainly had pity for him when he painfully realised his true identity. More importantly, the moments where both the Doctor and Amy in their own way diffused him was satisfying.

The Doctor started getting Bracewell to talk about his memories but it was Amy's discussion of love that triggered his humanity and made him sentient. I'm not sure if it was wise for the Doctor and Amy just to leave him there but maybe if they're lucky, Bracewell won't be used by the Daleks from afar.

And as for Churchill, well it's good casting from Ian McNeice and it was refreshing to have a historical in the episode who already had a past relationship with the Doctor but trying to pilfer the TARDIS key? Bad, Churchill, just bad. I did love Amy having her wits about her and stopping Churchill from keeping her and the Doctor bound to one time.

However there was also another issue raised in this episode – is Amy Pond in love with the Doctor? There is a part of me that doesn't blame her if she is but at the same time, I don't want a Rose/Mickey situation with Amy/Rory and I'm not sure if the Doctor himself is keen on having another companion fancy him, even if it is someone as sexy as Amy. Also there's the more pressing issue of her not remembering an important historical event to address as well.

Also in "Victory Of The Daleks"

The Daleks in this episode had a small Union Flag underneath their eyestalk at the start of this one. Nice little touch there.

Churchill (re TARDIS key): "Must I take it by force?"
    The Doctor: "I'd like to see you try."

This Doctor gets a costume variation as well as he wore a blue shirt, bowtie and braces with his usual ensemble.

The Doctor: "What are you doing here?"
    Dalek: "I am your soldier."

The Doctor: "Amy, tell me you remember the Daleks."
    Amy: "No, sorry."
    The Doctor: "That's not possible."

We got another crack in time appearance as the Doctor and Amy took off at the end of this episode. These have to be connected to Amy, don't they?

The Doctor: "What does hate look like Amy?"
    Amy: "Hate?"
    The Doctor: "It looks like a Dalek and I'm going to prove it."

Amy (re the Doctor): "What does he expect us to do now?"
    Churchill: "KBO of course."
    Amy: "What?"
    Churchill: "Keep buggering on."

I know there's a Sixth Doctor story that involves Churchill but the Confidential for this episode did suggest that the Doctor and Churchill met more than once. And why didn't Amy question the new face comments as well?

Dalek (to the Doctor): "Extinction is not an option. We shall return to our own time and begin again."

The Doctor (re dead Daleks): "Blimey, what do you do to the ones who mess up?"
    Supreme Dalek: "You are the Doctor. You must be exterminated."
    The Doctor: "Don't mess with me, sweetheart."

Appropriate that the word "sweetheart" is used considering that River Song is back in next week's episode. This one didn't end on a link to it though.

Supreme Dalek: "The Doctor has failed. His compassion is his greatest weakness. Daleks have no such weakness."

The Doctor: "You are Professor Edwin Bracewell and you my friend are a human being."

The new Daleks in this episode were Supreme, Strategist, Scientist, Drone and Eternal. They were also coloured in blue, red, orange, white and yellow.

Amy (to Bracewell): "Hey, Paisley, ever fancied someone you know you shouldn't?"
    Bracewelll: "What?"
    Amy: "Hurts doesn't it but kind of a good hurt?"

The Doctor (to Amy): "I had a choice. They knew I'd choose the Earth. The Daleks have won. They've beaten me. They've won."

It shouldn't be any much longer before Amy actually tells the Doctor about her wedding day, should it? And Oblivion Continuum was certainly a cool name for Bracewell the bomb.

"Victory Of The Daleks" is certainly different in some ways to many of the new series Dalek stories but oddly familiar in others too. You've got the sense of epicness, the pure unbridled loathing that both the Daleks and the Doctor have for each other but in a strange way, this is the only Dalek episode with the least body count of the bunch. After much deliberation, I think Mark Gatiss struck gold with this one.
  • Amy and the Doctor travel back to London during the WW2 German Blitz at the request of Winston Churchill. The British seem to have engineered a new and powerful weapon, the Ironside, while the Doctor finds himself at odds with an old enemy.

Overall a good episode, filled with genuine moments and light entertainment.

SPOILERS

A pleasant surprise was the re-invention of the Daleks and the re-appearance of the rift, once again obscured by the Tradis itself. I feel this lends towards story arcs based in alternate realities which could lead to a lot of fun for the series.

Traditionally speaking DW has had many incarnations from Action to Comedy and since the 2005 relaunch it has been fun, fast and furious at times. I'm not sure where they're heading with this Doctor yet as it doesn't seem to lean in any one direction.

I adore matt smith as the Doctor, he is perfect for the role, and we see in Victory for the Daleks that Matt handles the material flawlessly. He is sexy, sweet, angry, serious - he is the Doctor.

I felt the episode itself started strong and then prematurely cooled, leaving an extended fourth act that was almost defunct. Meant, i feel, to allow the viewer to see how well the Doc and Amy are gelling, it was slow and as predictable as the New Daleks destroying the Old ones, immediately.

There are many flaws in the writing of DW episodes - they're sloppy with their science, they dont do their homework and they seem to keep recycling stories.

It occured to me that this ep was very Tom Baker in its style - and surprisingly that felt good - i remembered that DW has never been good at the science, and that it has always been about wits. At any rate, great science fiction it is not, great entertainment, it is.
  • Hopefully just a revenge of the cybermen: one mediocre big monster episode in an otherwise perfect season.

Well, since this is only episode three we don't exactly know its a perfect season yet, but still, lets wait and see. I was really surprised to hear that a one part third episode of the season would be dalek based given that I'd heard Moffat's talk of distaste at the daleks being dragged out every season and what they really need is time off. But then again I'm sure that everyone who's ever watched a dalek episode of who has dreamed of writing their own. So it is kind of good that they've got his one out of the way with, then hopefully he can get back to writing phenomenal new stories like last week's beast below.
    Now, however, we have the quite ridiculous victory of the daleks. If it had been a hell of a lot longer then it could have been brilliant. The problem is it feels like an RTD nostaligia trip (yeah, last year, that's nostalgia). That being its too fast paced for its own good. RTD suffered from a writing based disease that I suffer from too and it stops anyone from writing anything decent at all. That being that you steam through the build up to get to the bit that you're really excited about and going "oh yeah, this is gonna be brilliant this bit is". RTD suffered from it all the time and I was hoping Moffat wouldn't, I didn't think he did at all. Empty child, girl in the fireplace, blink, library, all perfectly paced for such short episodes. The problem is the 42 minute format, you cant deal with such a massive story in such a short space of time so everythings rushed and it takes a ******* genius to know how to do it. For the most part moffat does know how to do it, beast below did that really, really well for something so short. But this really didn't, the first example of a silly episode from moffat.
    The first twelve minute would be absolute gold if there was more of it. Its so rushed, it would be better if part one was that with the whole cabinet war rooms and daleks are seemingly subserviant, then that they're hiding behind the moon is the cliffhanger leading into next episode, that would make for a much better episode. Moffat seems to be just parodying RTD's style in this episode, ridiculing the flaws in his writing style, at least I hope that's what this episode is. If it is, which I think it is, its a writer's in-joke, which may go over people's heads and think its another limp attempt from RTD. Though I'm not saying RTD was bad all the time, stuff like waters of mars was brilliant, though that still had a problem with pacing.
    The story was really silly, it always was gonna be silly. But it could have worked with more emphasis on the daleks in the cabinet war rooms it could've been better. The dalek spaceship stuff was kinda stupid. I mean they always come back by having a spaceship fall through time and they're the last ones left, which is why I'm glad they just left rather than were destroyed so they can just come back later without that explanation. RTD always used to have those bull**** quirks, stuff like killing off all of them, that's it, then they're back in nine months, and of course the ending a series with "what?" I mean really, end of doomsday, he's just been cut off from saying goodbye and I love you to rose, both crying, its heartbreaking, then just instantly, so no build up has to happen in the next episode it goes WHAT? which is why he should have had the series confiscated from him.
    The restorted daleks though: really not liking the new design. I know the whole them exterminating the old ones is an RTD ****-take, out with the old in with the new. But the design is just awful, they really going for the multi-colour thing? When they come out its like a blue one, a yellow one, a red time, its like dalek teletubby time, they gonna start eating custard and going "time for dalek bye bye"?
    I still enjoyed the episode obviously, cos its doctor who, and I always enjoy doctor who. Its just with such a beatifully crafted episode last week, it just feels a little, well, weak.
  • Just chill, it's just TV. this was great and entertaining. Stop whining about "OH Russell Davies we miss you", his time is over for now! The only reason why anyone shouldn't like this episode is if they aren't TRUE fans of the entire Doctor Who mythos.

This episode is practically the basic essence of Doctor Who: the Doctor and his enemies. I agree it is silly that the Daleks always return in spite of their constant total annihilation, but at least at the end of this episode, it leaves open future stories.
    This story reveals or rather re-shows connections the Doctor has with significant historical figures. It is also brilliant that the Daleks are used (albeit only seen briefly) destroying Nazis, who are the base inspiration of Terry Nation's original idea of how the Daleks act/behave.
    A few people have complained that the resurrected pure Daleks are different colours, however one must remember (or Google) that these are supposed to be "ancient" Daleks and in the most original Doctor Who storylines the Daleks did have various colour schemes for their casings.
    The Eleventh Doctor shows that he is well-prepared to face one of his oldest and dangerous enemies, as well as not being such a pacifist anymore, therefore displaying that his 906 years have been affecting his patience and mercy.
    A great and entertaining episode that will generally appeal a lot to the fans, although others maybe not as much. Nevertheless, the exciting and action-packed story delivers exactly what the title promised "Victory of the Daleks."
  • Good idea, poor execution.

While the idea of Daleks in the Blitz, seems like a good idea, it's not well executed. Compare the visuals and story to the Empty Child/The Doctor Dances and this episode falls short. There's very little depth to the story or characters. The whole story is basically an excuse to re-boot the Daleks.

As for the new Uber-Daleks - well the design and colours will split opinion. I for one like the classic colours, but I could have done without the boy-racer yellow one.

Somewhat like the last episode, this one wallows in classic British imagery and the "Spitfires in Space" feels like indulgent wish fulfillment. I'm mixed on Mark Gatiss's scripts - the Unquiet Dead was great, the Idiot's Lantern was good but flawed and the Lazarus Experiment was fun, but standard DW fare. This one seems to be the worst so far. The stolen Iwo-Jima imagery was pretty cheap too - but that might be more of a director issue, than a script issue.
  • The Doctor returns to WW2 London, this time instead of chasing a dangerous mauve item, he discovers something waiting for him far more dangerous than a Chula Nanogene plague. Can the Doctor survive the Victory of the Daleks?

When the Doctor is given a demonstraition of the new secret weapons against the Nazi's, he is horrified to see that some Daleks had survived his the Meta-crisis Tenth Doctor's genecide in the Medusa Cascade.
    Since he's now short tempered and arrogant, the Doctor's ego gets the best of him when trying to expose the 'Ironsides' invented by Edwin Bracewell the Daleks pose as when he's had enough of the lie and angerily attacksone with a heavy wrench. "You are everything I despise. the worsty thing in all of creation. I've defeated you time and time again. I've defeated you. I've sent you back into the void. i've saved the whole of reality from you. I am the Doctor and YOU are the DALEKS!" This backfires on the Doctor since the Daleks revert to their true nature thanks to the Doctor giving a testimony they are indeed Daleks. This allows a Progenitor device in a surviving Dalek craft to produce 5 new Daleks out of pure Dalek DNA. The Daleks needed his testimony is since they were made of Davros' DNA, a Kaled from planet Skaro, it registers them as impure. This is because the first Daleks Davros made came from the DNA of deceased Thals, who were the second sentiant species on Skaro.
    The new Proginitor Daleks are tall as Amy and are now in five colored ranks, White- Supreme, Blue- Strategist, Orange- Scientist, Yellow- Eternal, and Red- Drone. Right after their birth, the new Daleks disintigrate their predecessors with more powerful gunstalks instead of extermination, which the Davros DNA Daleks welcomed. Unlike the Russel Davies era Daleks, the Steven Moffet era Daleks are less easy to fool since they didn't buy the Doctor's bluff of a Jamie Dodger being a Tardis self-destruct device. Okay, here's the paradox: every year when techonlogy gets better for Special FX, the Daleks are upgraded in appearance, but what if they have an episode in which the Doctor goes back to a place Daleks are from the original Doctor Who? They can't use the past two current Daleks, because it wouldn't make sense because of how crappy the Daleks looked then. OH!
    The Doctor mentioning a Tardis self-destruct device is probably a hint for the end of this season, with the Silince blowing up the Tardis. Thus this cracked every era in time/space.
    A concern is Amy is from one year after the Medusa Cascade War, which is later revealed to have been altered from history by the Cracks, leaving only after-effects like Mickey back on Earth, married to Martha, the victims of the Reality Bomb testing still gone, and Donna not traveling with the Doctor.
  • I am disappointed, see description inside. I hate Mark Gatiss...

3.5
    It really hurts me saying that since doctor who is my absolute favorite show of them all, but this episode has been an absolutely one big pile of kitsch.

Hurray... We got us the daleks again, and guess what? Now they have scarier eye lids, they are bigger, and, apparently, are fans of the Power Rangers (or maybe just gay There have been some great daleks stories in the past, and this is definitely not one of them. As a matter of fact, every single daleks episode on the revived series, except from the excellent first one (notably named just "Dalek"), were just a great show of CGI with a poor plot.

This was just another excuse for not writing a proper script! Havn't we covered "the return of the bloody daleks" in pretty much every single Dalek episode so far? At least now it seems they're back for good, hurray to the new gay daleks. It's bloody morphin time (had to say that again). That was the only funny bit in this episode, and it was meant to be a serious moment...

Where's our clever doctor we used to know and love? David wouldn't have allowed his TARDIS key to get stolen by no less than Churchill. Don't get me wrong, Matt is an excellent actor and he does wonders as the Doctor, but the guy must have a story to sell in order to sell it well.

This just reminds me of another known TV show that's just got brand new design, brand new people in charge, promising us viewers great things however scoring lower rating than ever. I'm talking about TNA, and this is the main reason I quit watching wrestling. Repetitive garbage in rewinds again and again and again.

Clarification - Doctor Who is still an amazing show AND STILL (overcoming urge to say "World Heavyweight Champion") my favorite of them all. I don't intend on missing any single episode (as I have never have), but that's not to can't criticize.

(Five minute break from writing)

And I have just realized something. Moffat is not to blame, it's mister Mark Gatiss! Sorry Steven, sorry Matt! I have made an honest mistake!

Because, every single episode created by the lovely mister Gatiss has turned to be an utter disaster in my view (see also "The unquite dead" and "The idiot's lantern"). Which is exactly what it is meant to be - a "filler" episode before Steven comes with a double feature on angels that would make all my doubts go away. And if he can also lay the basis to another "Dalek CGI" episode - why not? Throw it in, because that's what this episode is meant to be!

In conclusion - this is Doctor Who at its worst, no wit, no fun, too predictable. However every season has its black sheep, and since we have some bombastic writers coming aboard next I think we can forgive them for it. Here's a list of the upcoming writers: * Toby Whithouse ("School Reunion", which come to think of it didn't the headmaster of the school acted a bit like a vampire too? I WONDER... Cute episode nonetheless).
    * Simon Nye (havn't heard of him, however his episode should close some paradoxes regarding Amy).
    * Chris Chibnall with a double feature ("42", awesome episode).
    * Richard Curtis (who has written episodes of Mister Bean! Should be funny as hell).
    * Gareth Roberts (of "Waters of Mars" fame, one of the best episodes of the revived series in my view).
    - and of course my all time favorite writer of them all - * Steven Moffat, which just so happens to run this whole shebang. One side note - I do hope Amy won't leave in the end of this season... I really like her, and it would also break the tradition of cast changes every single season.

Go Go Dalek Rangers!
  • Delivers on the title while continuing to clear out the Doctor Who attic.

*Warning: Spoilers Ahead*

Responding to a call for help from Winston Churchill, the Doctor and Amy arrive in 1941, right in the middle of the London Blitz. After greeting his old friend, Churchill proceeds to show the Doctor a brand new weapon that he hopes will help Britain win the war. To the Doctor's horror, it turns out that Churchill's "secret weapon" is none other than his old enemies, the Daleks!

"Victory of the Daleks" is the third episode of the new season of Doctor Who and deals with yet another return by the Doctor's greatest nemeses, the Daleks. It's a fairly solid episode with tense action, strong dialogue by all the major characters, with some fairly silly bits thrown in. It does, however, have some glaring weakness, not the least of which that it comes off as yet another attempt by newly minted Executive Producer Steven Moffat to "clean out the closet" of what the Russell Davies regime left behind.

"Victory" is another in a long line of historically related Doctor Who stories and the third in the new series that is set during World War II, the first two being the two part "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances." Like the earlier episodes, "Victory" occurs during the height of the London Blitz, in the year 1941, though exactly when during that campaign isn't entirely clear. There is some dialogue that suggest that Britain is fighting the war alone, which suggests that the events in the episode preclude the German invasion of Russia in late June of that year, and certainly long before the attack on Pearl Harbor. The fact that none of the human characters, major or minor, seem to require coats when they go outside eliminates the idea that it is winter, though this only narrows the timeframe down to between mid April to mid June. Establishing the exact timeframes is probably not important in the overall plot of the story, though it does make things a little easier for a historically minded viewer like myself. As we've known from the Season 5 trailers and the episode's titles, the Daleks have returned, having yet again escaped the Doctor's attempt to destroy them at the end of the last season. This time, they're posing as Churchill's "ironsides," weapons supposedly designed by an inventor named Edwin Bracewell to fight the Nazi war machine. Predictably, the whole thing turns out to be an elaborate façade designed to lure the Doctor to this time. It turns out they need his voice to activate a machine that carries "pure" Dalek genetic material, which won't activate otherwise because it doesn't recognize the latest survivors as true Daleks. The Dalek's plan is surprisingly simple, cunning, and ultimately effective, though I have to agree with other reviewers that it comes to fruition a little early in the episode. Dragging out their "I AM YOUR SOLDIER" ruse a little while longer might have been better. One has to also question how the Daleks chose Churchill to lure the Doctor in; some reviewers have mentioned that setting them in Nazi Germany would have been a better choice based on both societies philosophy of ethnic cleansing (and the Dalek's real world origins). Personally, the use of Britain instead of Germany makes more sense. The Daleks have been shown to think logically, despite their propensity to basically scream when they talk, and given their experience with the Doctor, I think they would have known he would have never come to the aid of a man like Hitler especially since their plan hinged on the Doctor's presence. It's also possible that the Daleks knew the Doctor was friends with Churchill, either from an unseen adventure (obviously from later in Churchill's personal timeline) or from simply studying whatever records they have on the Doctor. Combined with Britain's rather desperate situation during the London Blitz, this would have been too good of a set up for the Daleks to have passed up.

"Victory" sets a new record for having the most Daleks on the screen not produced by CGI animation: we get no less than *eight* Daleks on screen at one time. We also get what is quite literally the most colorful assortment of Daleks in the history of the new series: along with the basic golden brown Dalek we've come know, we also get two khaki-gray Daleks posing as Bracewell's ironsides, and the five new "super" Daleks in colors of white, blue, orange, yellow, and red. I have to admit to being a little lukewarm to the new look for the Daleks. I do like the fact that they are taller and more tank like than the old Daleks, though they don't come off quite as streamline as even the original Daleks from the beginnings of Doctor Who. I do like the design of the vent on the back of their "skirt," and as for the colors, I think the choice of red, blue, and white fit their design, while orange and yellow make the other two seem a little odd. Overall, though, the colors make them look like they just walked out of a Skittles bag – and their size suggests they ate some of the other candies in the bag. I do like the idea that they have an organic-looking eye in their stalk instead of just a little "headlight," although it still glows (it's obvious that Moffat and the design team aren't deviating extensively from the basic Dalek design). The biggest problem I have with their introduction is that it is executed in a manner that leaves me with the impression that the episode was written, as I mentioned, as a message to the audience that Moffat is sweeping out the Davies-era designs, right down the scene where the "superior" Daleks vaporize their "inferior" predecessors. I have to say that the episode doesn't cast the Doctor in a very bright light. He reacts with agitation and hostility towards the Daleks almost from the moment he discovers their presence in 1940s London. While it's not unexpected that he does so given the two antagonists' history, the Doctor reacts with such hostility and so irrationally that he practically hands the Daleks what they need. Given his experience with them, I would have expected the Doctor to act a little more cautiously around them, especially since he knows they're up to something. I have to wonder if this is some new quick of his new personality, though it's not entirely unprecedented in the series. The Daleks have proven to be one of the few races in the new series that are capable of working the Doctor into a frenzy with little or no provocation. The Dalek trio that initially show up in the episode seem to be aware of this and use it effectively for their purposes. They're not the only ones who manage to press the right buttons on the Doctor – the new Daleks also manage to exploit his fondness for Earth, and though they don't destroy the Earth as intended, they do manage to buy themselves time to get away. In this way, the episode lives up to its title: the Daleks win the day. I have to give kudos to the writers for trying to make the Doctor a little more fallible than he has been portrayed recently, and Matt Smith does a fabulous job portraying him. However, between this and the previous episode, this incarnation of the Doctor's batting 1 out of three 3 right now. The writers are definitely putting more focus on Amy Pond than they have for previous companions in this series. It's clear they having her do more than maybe Rose, Martha, and Donna did in their runs with the Doctor. She is instrumental in her dealings with Bracewell, first convincing him to aid them against the Daleks and then preventing him from exploding. Karen Gillian has done a wonderful job filling out the role, though I'm not sure it wasn't a little too soon for her character to save the day yet again, especially coming after "The Beast Below." It'll be interesting to see how the fact that Amy has no knowledge of the Daleks (especially since after the events in "The Stolen Earth/Journey's End) plays out. It does beg a couple questions: one, if she doesn't know about the Daleks, does that mean she doesn't know about the Cybermen as well (which she will encounter in this series)? Secondly, is her situation unique or is the problem more widespread than has been indicated so far? "The Eleventh Hour" suggests alien encounters are still common knowledge, indicating the events of at least "The Christmas Invasion" are still known to the common populace, so it'll be interesting to see how the writers handle this little twist.

I'll admit right here and now to be rather prejudicial to Bob Hoskin's portrayal of Winston Churchill in the TV movie "When Lions Roared," but Ian McNeice will probably come in a close second after this. McNeice does a fabulous job as the famous Prime Minister and it probably helps that he's played the part before outside Doctor Who. Both he and the writers do a fabulous job with the character, even inserting a historical quote about "speaking favorably about the Devil if Hitler invaded hell" when talking to the Doctor about the Daleks. It punctuates Churchill's practicality perfectly and shows that writer Mark Gatiss clearly did his homework on this character. It was also a stroke of genius to make Churchill a long time friend of the Doctor's instead of just another historical figure the main cast bumps into. I love his line to Amy Pond about "KBO – Keep Buggering On."

The revelation that Edwin Bracewell is an android is hardly surprising, even if you haven't been paying attention to the spoilers, nor is the revelation that he's a roaming bomb – the Daleks have proven nothing if not practical. I'm a little perplexed as to how the new Daleks found out that Bracewell is a bomb, though. It's possible their predecessors implanted that knowledge into the new Daleks, and there is significant amount of time between when the space-capable Spitfire destroys their transmission dish to when they appear on the TARDIS screen to have discovered that fact for themselves. That aside, Paterson does a fabulous job portraying the character, from his depression after his discovery, to the horror that he is a bomb, and finally to the embarrassed affection he shows for the memory of his beloved Dora Bella. I thought it was good of Gatiss to give Bracewell a happy ending after all the grief he put the character through.

As I mentioned before, there are some rather silly bits that don't detract from the overall episode, but are still rather ridiculous. The first is the "Spitfires in Space" angle that maybe necessary plot wise, but raises a whole load of questions, not the least of which is how a prop-driven plane can even fly in space. Then again, Doctor Who has always been more in the vein of science fantasy than hard-core science fiction, so this is rather excusable. Then again, I was rolling my eyes at the scene towards the end when the British soldiers raised the flag ala the famous "Raising the Flag at Iwo Jima" photograph. While the scene is a classic image of World War Two, it is also a unique piece of Americana. I'm not offended by its use, but it's ironic that some of the British I talk to on IM accuse we Americans of stealing.

"Victory of the Daleks" is an excellent entry into the series, though not without its problems. Solid 8.5.
  • This is the slow pace episode. Not quite up to standard for a standalone episode, but it plants seeds for the future episodes.

I don't need to tell you again how boring this episode is, and what a waste for Winston Churchill and WWII. But if you look carefully, look in a different way, or like the doctor said "look exactly where you don't want to look at"..... you might find some interesting. This episode introduce new Daleks ......with the colour of power rangers :) The new Daleks seems to be smarter then ever, instead of screaming "exterminate" again and again, they seems to know how to use their brian, they know how to scan his "self-destruction remote" and they also found out Doctor's weakness (the fond of mankind) straight away. Although, they literally did nothing at all apart from turning on all the lights in london in this episode. , i would love to see what these Daleks can do in future.

Does anyone ever wonder why the new Doctor always "miss" the time when using the Tardis? He receive the phone call from winston churchill and only came a month later, promised young amy 5 mins but turns out to be many years, left the adult Amy and only came back after 2 years. Seems like it has something to do with Amy and the crack that was in her room.

Also the girl who looks sad in the begining and also cry at the end, some people think that is simply the director forgot to tell her story, but since Steven Mofatt is such a wonderful story writer in playing with time, i tend to think that this episode is only a small segment of a greater picture, there got to be a back story to tell, and the girl got to be return in future episodes. I would accept this episode as a transitional episode, showing us new Daleks, also taking a break from the dark and creepy episodes...before we meet the sweeping angels again.... but Steve, you got to give us something better next time.
  • I don't know who was more annoying, the Doctor or the Deleks

Sometimes I feel like the Doctor defeats his enemies more by annoying the crap out of them then anything else. Really! I thought McKay of Stargate Atlantis was annoying… hadn't quite met up with this Doctor yet.

So anyway, the Doctor and his sexy gal pal travel back to WW 2 where they find the UK using Daleks to fight the Germans. Turns out, a few of them managed to escape back in time during their last encounter with the Doctor and now want to re-design themselves. Of course the Doctor goes ballistic (what's new?). With none stop blabbering and spewing meaningless crap he manages to save the entire Earth, again.

This as many of you said was a silly and pointless episode. I will just take it a step further and say it was just plain stupid.
  • A disappointing episode - on the lower end of Dr. Who writing.

As the episode was set-up, it should have been a true cracker; Churchill, Daleks... But it was a balloon that the writing could not support. Throughout the entire episode you had the feeling of wrong pacing - like the reply was half a step too late. Maybe that's just the cast getting comfortable but I'm not so sure... The Daleks are becoming a VERY overused commodity; I also thing Dalek reboot for the new ages is needed - the plunger is just too ridiculous to be true. The conundrums, although interesting (stand off on the Dalek ship, deactivating the "android bomb") were handled very childishly (note: NOT child-like, just ... sort of cheaply). The best thing about it was three things left hanging: the Dalek-made android (who could really be useful in further episodes), the "why don't you remember" thing with Amy (who is THE BEST supporting girl for Who so far, bar none - very natural!) and (possibly) the girl in the bunker crying - since it was accented two times without any good follow-up (of course, it might have just been bad writing).
    Anyhow, a part of me wished the Doctor would choose ridding the universe of Daleks in stead of saving the Earth, thereby brooding the rest of the season (as Smith is nowhere near as comfortable in the happy-go-lucky scenes as Tenant was), sending the show in the next, brave direction but alas...
    So, final grade: underwhelming.
  • Russell Davies, we need you!

This was, perhaps, the worst episode of Doctor Who since its return in 2005 and certainly the most disappointing. With the Daleks AND Winston Churchill, no one could be blamed for expecting a ripping yarn of the highest order. Instead, this cake didn't rise--it just lay there, flat and mushy. The Doctor, for his part, seemed completely ineffectual and superfluous in this episode. While a modicum of that was needed in the previous episode--to establish Amy as a more than worthy companion--the Eleventh Doctor has yet to prove himself worthy to be Amy's companion. For years, now, The Doctor has faced impossible choices, always managing, in the end, to suss out an unexpected solution, threading the needle between those bad options and saving the day. This Doctor, it seems, can't suss his way out of a paper bag; his motto appears to be "I dunno, really. I give up." Sure, he's more bemused and amusing than Tennant and Eccleston (if that's what they wanted), but how much longer can he let Amy save the day with his biggest contribution being holding the Daleks momentarily at bay with a cookie?

While played well, Churchill was poorly written. He comes off as a second rate politician with a few cheap slogans. I would have expected an historical character of Churchill's stature would at least show the strength and have the resonance of the fictional Harriet Jones, if not Liz 10. Indeed, all of the characters in this episode are written flat, without depth or dimension. Even the Daleks seem to have phoned it in. They wreck little carnage, except upon each other, and seem neither menacing nor merciless. The new Daleks--all decked out in new car colors--seem every bit as befuddled as the new Doctor. If the writers want to see how much tension and depth can be wrenched from a Dalek episode, they should have watched Season 1, Episode 6...over and over again.

The entire script for this episode was flat. It felt forced and, the biggest sin of all for a Doctor Who episode, completely lacking in imagination. But for Karen Gillan's remarkable Amy Pond, there was nothing in this episode to hold one's attention for very long. In an episode featuring Daleks and Winston Churchill, that's a crime. No blame to Matt Smith, here; this one is all on the writers.

It's early in the season and this could be seen as a transitional episode. Certain longer arcs are being established. Amy doesn't remember the Daleks and she should. The crack in the wall reappears. There are certainly places to go from here. But the writers need to make sure the Doctor regains his mojo, rather than waiting every week for Amy to save the universe, and they need to bring something new and imaginative to the table. I'm not encouraged that next week's villains are the Weeping Angels; "Blink" was one of the most original and imaginative episodes in the history of the franchise and I have a hard time seeing anyone but Russell Davies matching it, let alone surpassing it. Better these writers should chart some new ground with new adversaries than try to milk the old ones if they can't shine a light on new depths and facets, as Davies did so successfully.
  • Is it the worst of the first three episodes of the season? Yes. Is it still amazing? Yes.

With the best doctor and companion yet, the plotline almost doesn't matter anymore. And the Dalek redesign was a little lame, though I do like the new voices for them. Overall, though, there just wasn't a really strong tension like there has been in the past episodes. The entire planet was about to explode and yet nobody really seemed to be all that concerned.

Also, what's the deal with the Doctor pretty much always making things worse this season? He led to the Dalek resurrection, then couldn't help the doc achieve humanity? I mean, I love Amy Pond as much as the next guy, but that doesn't mean I want her to be the savior of humanity in every episode after the pilot.

Finally, ending every episode with a crack in the universe isn't interesting unless we know more about them. Amy not remembering the Daleks, though, is something that needs to get delved into sooner rather than later, though I suspect it won't come up until the last two episodes.
  • Enjoyable to watch but overall its a silly episode.

I found this episode enjoyable to watch with some good but also bad moments which I will simply list. I know I'll get thumbs down but it still won't alter my opinion of this episode as just fair by Dr Who standards.

What I enjoyed
    Great sets
    The return of the daleks.
    Quality acting from the cast all round
    Some genuine scripted quality Who moments.
    What I thought was weak...
    Airplanes in space it all starts to get silly(space is a vacuum)
    When Terry Nation invented the Daleks he based them on the Nazi's so why are they working for the fight with Britain. A better angle would have been if somehow they were with the Nazi's from the start.
    Somehow, I can't see Winstone Churchil giving up so easily with access to superior technology if there is a chance to end the war.
  • Weirdly paced, uneven episode.

I've been getting some negative feedback on my recent 8+ reviews of the previous episodes, and I don't expect anything different here, but the truth must prevail, right? So here we go.

Doctor Who seems firmly stuck in regeneration gear three episodes into the season, and I honestly can't tell why. This episode, for instance, seems to be entirely dedicated to the merely mechanical need to redesign the Daleks for the new Doctor, with very little motivation on the side. The old Daleks pop up, create the new Daleks (I am calling them the M&Ms Daleks from now on, by the way) and politely step aside.

Not that the M&Ms do anything worthwhile, either. They simply step back and decide to... well, escape. Literally run for it while nudging each other and commenting on what a close call that was and how lucky they are to still be alive. I fully expect them to beg for their miserable lives the next time they are on-screen.

And yeah, that was the main issue, the whole thing was oddly paced around this truncated non-confrontation between the Doctor and the Daleks. It never went anywhere from there, and a significant lack of content became apparent. Let me put it this way: the Daleks left two thirds into the episode. I counted. Two thirds in and the Doctor and Amy were essentially monster-free for the next fifteen minutes. It was really weird, the equivalent of telling you who the killer is in CSI before the last commercial break.

Also, a few issues from the last two episodes carried over. The Doctor is still all talk and no action. His big attempt at activity this time was to try to talk the Daleks into not doing whatever they were trying to do and talk a bomb-man-robot into not exploding. And again, Amy had more to do and had more fun doing it, as she cleverly reused the Dalek's technology against them. Overall, the episode again felt static and motionless, and so did the Doctor.

The series needs to kick into high gear, fast. They need to start having some multi-episode threads and throw something physical for the Doctor to do every now and then. Maybe deliver on the whole "cracks in the universe" ongoing thread rather than showing a new crack at the end of each episode. More sets would also help, too. Perhaps it's time to get back to Earth and have some on location shoots?

Overall, a disappointment. I'm cutting them some slack on account of their need to reboot but their credit is rapidly running out. Say what you want about RTD's crew, but they knew how to make Doctor Who feel like a rollicking action adventure story every week, even if it only was by making people run up and down for a while every five minutes. We need some of that back.
  • Amy's first Journy into the Past, A not so friendly return, A human bomb, A forgetful memory and a sinster crack...

Throughout this episode i felt underwhelmed, from the patchy excuse of how the Daleks survived their last "total destruction" (it's becoming an annoying re-occuring plot hole) to the severe lack of action. So far in this series there has been a slight lack of "running" which gave the episode pace.
    I never felt any real peril from the daleks as they only threatened one city and it's not like the German planes could actually manage to destroy the whole city. Then the whole "Human/Robot Bomb Hybrid" was very odd, the reason behind him not exploding was more flimsy than doctor who sets of old...

I also missed some Amy/Doctor scenes, of which there were not many =/. I guess this was to free up time for our special guest start Winston Churchill, who was great fun. But for me nothing amazing.
    The Daleks always bring out the Doctor's dark side and show that it's not just all fun and games for his companions when with him. Although i did love the jammy dogder set piece. The Doctor faced yet another agonising choice and this time there was no Amy to save him. And the escape of the Daleks coupled with Amy's bad memory and a new crack are all shaping the series story arch.

The new look dalaks were fun! Multi-coloured, very retro! Although it's very hard to make Daleks look bad. Haha.
    Overall when compared to the previous two episodes this was a slight let down but still fun saturday night television with the Daleks. I hope the series goes back up from this slight dip.