A Doctor Who (1963) Community
BBC (ended 1989)
Well it's unusual to have new news exclusively for the original run of Doctor Who, but today is an unusual day.

It's been a rumour bubbling under for the last few weeks, but on the 5th of November 2016, exactly 50 years to the minute of its original Broadcast, a fully animated version of Power of the Daleks will be available to buy from the BBC store.

The rumour first started a few weeks ago with a leak of what looked like a show reel of animation from Power of the Daleks. If the BBC wanted to keep this announcement under wraps they made the wrong next move by quickly getting this clip taken down repeatedly, wherever it appeared. But they made the mistake of ONLY taking down this animated clip, any other Power of the Daleks posts, such as recons, remained untouched. So those watching carefully soon realised the animation was the real deal.

Of course what with the Fiftieth Anniversary of the first regeneration coming up, it's not a surprise something might be happening, and of course the leak and take-down may well also have been part of the BBC's hype strategy, but the most important thing is the result.

The scenes that gave Doctor Who its longevity, with a new actor taking over the lead and making the role their own, will at long last be seen by new generations - Oh my giddy aunt!

Availability -
5th November - Digital download from BBC store
12th November - BBC America to air the episodes
14th November - Digital download from other vendors and regions
21st November - DVD release for UK region 2 (available for pre-order now)
No release dates for other regions yet.

See the BBC's press release here -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37285820
6 Comments
Comments (6)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Jun 12, 2017
this was well done when i watched it on BBC America whenever the hell that was.
Flag
Nov 23, 2016
Any word yet about the U.S. release?
Flag
Nov 23, 2016
You should in theory already be able to get a digital download from places like iTunes, and of course the US has had a broadcast and cinema release (we didn't get that in the UK).

The color version will be available on the BBC store from 31st of December, then the Region 1 version of both should be available exclusively from Barnes and Noble from the 24th of January.

The UK gets the Blu-ray of both versions from the 6th of September.
Flag
Nov 25, 2016
Thanks. Hope all is well with you and your.
Flag
Feb 02, 2017
In Wal Mart in the U.S. as of yesterday.
Flag
Apr 12, 2017
Just finished it this pass weekend. I had watched 1-6 a few weeks ago but due illness, family, church and work I never finished it, So I watched it yesterday as I did paperwork. It is hard for me to just set and watch something.

Overall I enjoyed it. Not a big fan of the style of animation. I wish they had done it in the animation test footage style but I guess cost had something to do with that. The extras were good. Well worth the price.
I hope that the sales was enough that we will get the rest of the lost stories.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members