A Doctor Who (1963) Community
BBC (ended 1989)
It is with great sadness that I have to report the death of Doctor Who legend Trevor Baxter. A renowned actor and playwrite, having toured with the Royal Shakespeare Company, it is the role of Professor George Lightfoot that most Who fans know him for.

Professor Lightfoot first appeared as a pathologist in the Fourth Doctor classic story The Talons of Weng Chiang, and along with Christopher Benjamin, playing theatre impresario Henry Gordon Jago, they became remembered as a quite loveable pair of characters from that era.

If it hadn't been for Big Finish, that is where it would have ended, but in 2009 the pair of them reunited for a one-off Companion Chronicles story, that proved so popular that the pair gained their own spin-off series which ran to 12 series and a few specials along the way. Effectively becoming consultants of the bizarre for the police, and even Her Majesty Queen Victoria from time to time.

Along the way they had adventures with the Sixth Doctor, the Tenth Doctor, Leela, the Master and even Strax, creating a very memorable set of adventures.

I've only got as far as season 8, but enjoyed every single minute of them. It's now so sad to think that when I reach season 12, that will be the end.

If you want to give Jago and Lightfoot a try, you can see the full range here.
6 Comments
Comments (6)
Submit
Jul 21, 2017
Will this end the Big Finish stories or will they go on without him or replace him?
Flag
Jul 21, 2017
I can't imagine Christopher Benjamin would want to go on without him, perhaps one big send off episode.

Latest news is we've just lost Deborah Watling, who played Victoria. Just heard it a few minutes ago.
Flag
Jul 21, 2017
Sorry to hear about Ms. Watling. Each time we lose someone from our pass we think more and more on our limited time. It make you more and more thankful for the DVD extras and Big Finish. It also make us more hopeful that they will find more of the lost stories.
Flag
Jul 25, 2017
Here's a preview of the Telesnap reconstruction for Wheel In Space, looks like a decent effort. Hopefully a DVD release will follow eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SugDtrkJ8uM
Flag
Jul 21, 2017
Keep watching events at Comic-con, I'm expecting an annoucement about The Wheel In Space reconstruction being released on BritBox.

From what I've been able to gather so far they've done reconstructions of the missing episodes and used some sequences and CGI from Loose Canon. Britbox is a streaming service set up by BBC and ITV, for the North American market, so it looks like Loose Canon recons might be in line for some legitimake reworking and release. Be interested to hear what the official line is.
Flag
Jul 22, 2017
Thanks. I know cost has a lot to do with it and the fact that there is a limited demand for the old B/W shows but all of these streaming networks sure make it hard to keep up. It seem very network, computer site and production company has at least one.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members