A Doctor Who (1963) Community
BBC (ended 1989)
We have the lost TV episodes on audio. Some of these have been completed or done through animation by the BBC. Big Finish has recorded 3 of the stage plays in audio. Unless you were one of those who saw these plays when they ran live these stories has only been points of discussion.
The Ultimate Adventure is one of these. What make this adventure stand out is that it is also a musical. It is a good, not great, story. It seem to move too fast. On the B side the extras are some of the best. If you enjoy the background stories and history this is a good one. I have always like Terrance Dicks who writes The Ultimate Adventure and always does a great job any time he is part of the extras.
Comments (4)
Submit
Jul 11, 2019
I WAS one of the people that saw The Ultimate Adventure at the Theatre Royal in Nottingham. I still have my programme signed by old Sixie himself.

The pace on stage was perfect, things have to move along quickly on stage, but that same pace doesn't necessarily translate well to another format.

The live TARDIS materialization on stage was a joy to behold, using a stage gauze with a brick alcove painted on it, and then a pulsing changing of the light balance from in front of the gauze to light up the previously invisible TARDIS behind - simple but effective.

The highlight though had to be a dalek operator slightly losing his footing and starting to roll inexorably downstage towards the footlights
Flag
Jul 11, 2019
It is odd that it is the mistakes, misspoken lines, falls and acts of nature that we remember and talk about most often. It is true we don’t remember days but events. Some go out hoping for a mistake, fall etc.
Last summer my sons and I went to the R.A. camp together for the third time. It rain hard and cold for all but the second half of the last day. The camp did not miss a beat. We did everything as if it was a sunny day. On the way home as we talked about having to deal with the rain and cold I told them as bad as they think it was that in the future this will be the camp week that you talk the most about. A year later they have found out that I was telling the truth.
Slapstick comedy has always been a favorite. But to be honest it is better with the slapstick is not intentional.
Flag
Jul 12, 2019
It's one of the things that makes live theatre special. The fact that you can go to a performance and know that if you went another day you would not get the same product.

One thing I have discovered, that I've never really considered before getting so directly involved in the acting profession, is that if you go to see a new play on opening night, and then again on its last night, you will probably see two very different plays. The cast and crew adapt the show as it runs, strengthening the things that work, and removing bits that don't, something that you can't really do without real audiences to give you direct feedback in their response.
Flag
Jul 13, 2019
I wish theatres did well in my area. The few local ones that I have been able to catch I have really enjoyed.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members