Doctor Who (1963)

Doctor Who

Aired Saturday 5:15 PM May 27, 1996 on BBC

7.8
  • Should have been The Doctor's finest hour and a half, unfortunately it fell a fair way short.

6.6
    After a slightly implausible start of the Master being put on trial on Skaro (Dalek justice?), and some dodgy Dalek voices, Doctor Who lept into a whole new league with grand opening credits and a marvelous orchestral adaptation of the theme tune.

Then you get to see a fantastic new Tardis control room, a subdued 7th Doctor, no longer looking like an extra in the Pantomime, yet still retaining the major characteristics of that incarnation. At this point you had a tingling feeling that Doctor Who had become something bigger and better, and was back to stay. Unfortunately it was not to be.

It carried on at a respectable level for a little while longer with a very physical Tardis materialization, and the shooting of the 7th Doctor. Then 22 minutes in, Sylvester McCoy almost manages to gurn enough to make the transformation to Paul McGann without the need for any special effects. The regeneration sequence was very well done, possibly the most believable of all the regeneration sequences, subtle and smooth. Sadly this was probably the high point of the entire film.

Paul McGann's representation of The Doctor was very good, believable and charismatic. He captured the essence of The Doctor and was starting to show his own take on the travelling Time Lord.

Alas the same could not be said for Eric Roberts, his over the top Master took what was an attempt to polish the Doctor Who franchise firmly back into the realms of pantomime.

And what of the plot? The whole thing fell apart in the last act making no sense, breaking with all known continuity. The Eye of Harmony in the TARDIS? Needing a human eye to open it? The Doctor being half human? In fact the ridiculousness of this last bombshell is acknowledged and parodied in the final episode of the 9th Doctor's term with the Emperor Dalek echoing "Those words are blasphemy, do not blaspheme" when the Daleks are accused of similar parentage.

It is such a shame that after such an impressive start and such high production values that the ending made no sense to the general public and alienated the long term fans. It was clear by the end of the film that it would not spawn a new series, in fact it is surprising that it did not bury The Doctor for good.

On the plus side it did give us a new Doctor. Paul McGann went on to develop his role further in the Big Finish audio dramas and made for a very credible number 8. It is just a shame we only got to hear it, as his audio Doctor is just wonderful.
  • the doctor takes the masters remains back to gallifrey but is shot and regenirates on earth. the master is in a humans body taking the tardis and its heart.

it was realy good.
    i liked the start and middle and end.
    it featured probualy the 5th best doctor yet [2011]
    a great movie but not the first movie.
    i thought the big movie would hav the dalecs or the cybermen or the warryor robot.
    none the less it was unbelevevible.
    i remember watching rememberance of the dalecks [ alou on dvd as i am 9] [10 in november] i thought the movie would be better but it would be hard as rememberance of the dalecs was an unbalevably good episode[s]
    i still loved the movie it was a rare thing i can't beleve iv got it on tape.
  • Last Lives Written by Matthew Jacobs Directed by Geoffrey Sax

Grace: "I only have one life, can you remember that?"
    The Doctor: "I'll try".

A couple of years before the 2005 series had seen The Doctor ride the ratings and public affection high once again, there had been a few attempts to bring the show. One was the awful gimmick "Dimensions In Time" as well as "Curse Of Fatal Death" and "Scream Of The Shalka" (the former by Steven Moffat and the latter by Paul Cornell). However the only official canon was in fact the 1996 Movie and I can tell you, I actually quite enjoy it.

Seven years is arguably a long time for a show to be gone and perhaps a shorter time to try and bring it back but this movie does make a decent attempt of doing so. We might not know what happened to poor Ace or how The Master escaped Cheetah world but the opening with the latter getting wiped out by the Daleks is a good starting point.

A part of me is massively surprised that for the first 20 minutes, it's the Seventh Doctor we're dealing with. You'd think the movie would want to start with the Eighth and gradually explain or at least throw some hints about the regeneration process. It's an audacious move on the writer's part and perhaps a tad better for a newcomer who gets to delight in seeing an actual regeneration (which we got denied of in "Rose").

The Seventh Doctor is set to take The Master's remains back to Gallifrey upon his enemy's final request but he's smart enough to lock the box that contains the remains of his best enemy. Of course, The Master has always been a conniving so and so and it's not rocket science that he decides to use this as an opportunity to escape and part of that plan has the TARDIS crash landing on earth.

Now The Doctor loves Earth quite a lot so he probably wasn't expecting to have the TARDIS protect some kid named Chang Lee nor for the moment he opened the door did he expect to be shot multiple times by the same gang in pursuit of Chang Lee. Well the writers needed to speed up the regeneration and there's some fun here in seeing The Doctor mortally wounded as The Master in a snake like formation slithers away to find a new body. With The Doctor and The Master both on the verge of change, it's the shaping of their companions that propels things along as well. On The Master's side you've got a naïve boy in Chang Lee, who while not above gun violence, seems to be more manipulated by The Master's lies of The Doctor being evil rather than anything. It's also an unusual joy to see The Master with a companion even if Chang Lee is kind of annoying.

The Doctor on the other hand nearly has his regeneration process wrecked by medics when they put a probe inside him to see why his heart is racing so far. The hospital banter, in particular with discussion of Grace's on-off relationship with Bryan comes across as being somewhat inane and the moment where both The Doctor and The Master (who swipes the body of ambulance driver Bruce and then kills Bruce's wife) won't win point for subtlety.

As Doctors go, Paul McGann is great. He's on the right side of being both vulnerable and manic with excitement as memories of past events come flooding back. I also appreciate that The Doctor and Grace's team up is pretty quick to. Yes following her into the parking and sounding like someone loose from a psych ward may not have the resonance of other Doctor/Companion moments but it more or less does the trick in its own way.

Grace is also a pretty good strength to this movie also. She may not be up there with either Sarah Jane, Martha or Ace but she's instantly likeable and pretty efficient even if it does take her a while to actually believe The Doctor's entire story. As for the multiple kisses these two exchange – I really couldn't care less. It just didn't bother me a lot.

The Master on the other hand is let down a bit by Eric Roberts. He's not the worst actor in the world but compared to the likes of Roger Delgado or John Simm, you almost get the feeling that he's phoning in his performance. He started off great with the moment in which he killed Bruce's wife but when he actually captures The Doctor and uses a possessed Grace and Chang Lee to steal The Doctor's remaining lives, the camp factor does kick into overdrive.

Perhaps The Master is pissed off for all those times The Doctor has bested his plans and I get that wanting to stay alive is important but there's something not quite as satisfying with this general plot. The Eye Of Harmony is the cause of the problems with the TARDIS and the goal for The Master to survive but it feels as if it should've been more of a battle for The Doctor to defeat him. Even The Master winding up trapped in the Eye Of Harmony and Grace and Chang Lee being resurrected feels a bit too easy.

Still this movie was always going to have to be a bit self-contained in case it bombed and the ending with Chang Lee getting some of The Doctor's stuff and Grace and The Doctor saying their goodbyes is satisfying enough. We've had stronger departures but I ended up liking Grace a hell of a lot more than I expected to. Daphne Ashbrook's consistent performance ensured. It's only sad that this is the only televised adventure with her and The Eighth Doctor. I wouldn't have minded seeing some more.

Also in "Doctor Who: The Movie"

Annoying that we not only didn't get to actually see the Daleks kill The Master but the voices didn't even sound Dalek like.

The Doctor: "Here it comes"
    Chang Lee: "Hold on there, old man. Chang Lee will help you".

The Frankenstein moment between The Doctor and The Master was the not subtle thing I meant earlier on. Pete was watching the movie during the regenerations.

Wife: "What would you like me to call you then?"
    The Master: "Master will do fine".

Grace: "Somehow I don't think the Second Coming happens"
    Pete: "What you think he's gonna go to a better hospital?"

Both The Master and The Doctor mentioned they've snogged Marie Curie. Well it wouldn't be the first time either of them have invaded the other's turf. Both of them also kissed Grace for different reasons.

Grace: "No sorry, the dead stay dead. You can't turn back time"
    The Doctor: "Yes you can".

The Doctor: "I am The Doctor"
    Grace: "Good, now do that again".

The Doctor showed both Grace and Chang Lee the future as well as Gallifrey. This is also one of the few times in which he's mentioned his father.

The Doctor: "That's very witty Grace. At least Freud would've taken me seriously"
    Grace: "He'd have hung up his pipe if he had met you".

Props go to the makeup team for the gorgeous icy blue makeup and black eyes when Grace was possessed. Daphne Ashbrook looked rather hot during those scenes.

Chang Lee: "You're a funny guy"
    The Master: "I'm glad one of us is amused".

The Doctor: "But time to change"
    The Master: "I always dress for the occasion".

Standout music: Puccini's "Madam Butterfly", despite being massively distracting.

Grace: "I'm gonna miss you"
    The Doctor: "How can you miss me? I'm the guy with two hearts. I'm easy to find".

There was a dedication to Jon Pertwee at the end of this movie but it doesn't seem to be on the DVD.

For something that was supposedly so bad, I actually found "The Movie" really enjoyable. Yes it was kind of Americanised and Eric Roberts made for a bad Master but everything else was pretty fun, even the mansion like TARDIS upon repeated viewing. Still anything is better than "Dimension In Time", right?