Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

50th Anniversary

50th Anniversary

  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [1]Jul 6, 2012
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,190

    Any hopes, dreams or no big deal.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pferreira86

    pferreira86

    [2]Jul 8, 2012
    • member since: 03/17/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,438

    I think the 50th anniversary should take the whole of Doctor Who history into account, utilizing characters since the early 60s.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [3]Jul 8, 2012
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,190

    pferreira86 wrote:


    I think the 50th anniversary should take the whole of Doctor Who history into account, utilizing characters since the early 60s.


    Recast those who have passed? I would not like to see it. I think it was a mistake in the 5 Doctors. If they can work in clips I would be okay with that but no recasting.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dcpgaus

    dcpgaus

    [4]Jul 10, 2012
    • member since: 04/26/06
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 273
    This is a hard one. On one hand you would like to include some older doctors and characters into a big story (no recasting) - but when they did the '5 Doctors', it really didn't live up to expectations. And unfortunately when you see one of the older characters looking 'old', it changes your opinion about bringing them back (this sounds shallow but its true!). I always wanted to know what happened to Susan. If we saw Susan grown up, it would make sense. And since she is a Timelady, you could always explain a recast as a regeneration. And don't get me started on the nonsense that all Timelords have been wiped out, because with the new series, they constantly jump all over the continuity of the series! Maybe have some cameos about what the older companions are doing now in the series such as Steven, Zoe, Jo, Nyssa, Peri. But I can imagine that the fans of the new series don't know much about these characters...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [5]Jul 12, 2012
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,190

    dcpgaus wrote:
    This is a hard one. On one hand you would like to include some older doctors and characters into a big story (no recasting) - but when they did the '5 Doctors', it really didn't live up to expectations. And unfortunately when you see one of the older characters looking 'old', it changes your opinion about bringing them back (this sounds shallow but its true!). I always wanted to know what happened to Susan. If we saw Susan grown up, it would make sense. And since she is a Timelady, you could always explain a recast as a regeneration. And don't get me started on the nonsense that all Timelords have been wiped out, because with the new series, they constantly jump all over the continuity of the series! Maybe have some cameos about what the older companions are doing now in the series such as Steven, Zoe, Jo, Nyssa, Peri. But I can imagine that the fans of the new series don't know much about these characters...


    I always felt a folow up story with the companions would be great. You just can't have the time Doctor and it does nothing to you good or bad. They could even be one and two paters rather than trying a whole season on one or two. I wish we could get the Reel to Reel companion stories even if some feel that they were not that great. I for one think I could over look the ageing of the actors. There has been so many that have past and this may be our last chance to see many of them.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [6]Jul 20, 2012
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,190

    I just hope they find some way to remember some of those who have passed. If not in the story maybe as a DVD extra. William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Ian Marter, John Nathan-Turner, Elisabeth Sladen, Anthony Ainley, Nicholas Courtney, Roger Delgada, Jacqueline Hill and Douglas Adams are a few that need to be remembered some way.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wildhoney66

    wildhoney66

    [7]Jul 20, 2012
    • member since: 05/17/08
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 843

    if they did something like the 5 doctors, i'm sure they could find footage for it, colorize some maybe. & i forget who the last 5 were at the top of my head. mind you i'm a bit tired so that's why i don't have any at the top of my head of who they were. though Christopher E. won't be doing this. cause he's a dumbass who only wanted to do 1 season! but i'm with everyone i dunno how they'd do something like this.



    i'd LOVE to see Ian well of course an Older Ian. & of course an older Susan where we are with her grandkids. & it'd be funny if she called the young Matt Smith Grandfather. when he's clearly young enough to be her son. or grandson. i'm not sure on how old she is now. yet he's clearly older than her in the show. that'd make for some good comedy. cause let's face it a LOT of these older actors won't be around forever. weather it's from the 70's or 80's. D.W. and even going so far as the Doctor Who from the 60's especially the original cast.



    i don't mean no special like they did but maybe a movie like they did with the 20th anniversary. or a 2 part episode?


    it's be great that they'd bring everyone that they CAN back. just to give a nod to the original show. & let us know what the said original cast members are up to. like Zoe & Jamie who are MY favorite companions. yes i know they got the memory erased but timelines you see. since they are now older. there's nothing wrong with putting these people to certain things since they maybe can't move like they used to. like forgive me i'm tired the dude the played "Ian' he maybe wouldn't be able to do certain things like he did in the original show. also cause i'm to lazy & tired to start a NEW thread. i bought 'The Krotons' which is one of my favorite serials of the original show yesterday!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pferreira86

    pferreira86

    [8]Jul 22, 2012
    • member since: 03/17/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,438

    archangelwho wrote:


    pferreira86 wrote:


    I think the 50th anniversary should take the whole of Doctor Who history into account, utilizing characters since the early 60s.


    Recast those who have passed? I would not like to see it. I think it was a mistake in the 5 Doctors. If they can work in clips I would be okay with that but no recasting.


    Wait, I didn't say that. I think they would be represented by footage. I want to be wrong but as every month goes by the chances of a multi-Doctor story slowly diminish. Recent separate interviews with Matt Smith, Paul McGann and Colin Baker seem to point to the fact that a multi-Doctor story at this point is unlikely. As I say I hope I'm wrong as not having as many Doctor Who actors appear in the 50th anniversary as possible would be a real slap in the face to long term fans. My feeling is that if you want a multi-Doctor story to celebrate the anniversary make a big fuss about to the BBC, show your expectations. The more people who do this the more likely the BBC will do the story so not to have a big outcry for not doing it.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dcpgaus

    dcpgaus

    [9]Jul 23, 2012
    • member since: 04/26/06
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 273
    pferreira86 wrote:

    archangelwho wrote:


    pferreira86 wrote:


    I think the 50th anniversary should take the whole of Doctor Who history into account, utilizing characters since the early 60s.


    Recast those who have passed? I would not like to see it. I think it was a mistake in the 5 Doctors. If they can work in clips I would be okay with that but no recasting.


    Wait, I didn't say that. I think they would be represented by footage. I want to be wrong but as every month goes by the chances of a multi-Doctor story slowly diminish. Recent separate interviews with Matt Smith, Paul McGann and Colin Baker seem to point to the fact that a multi-Doctor story at this point is unlikely. As I say I hope I'm wrong as not having as many Doctor Who actors appear in the 50th anniversary as possible would be a real slap in the face to long term fans. My feeling is that if you want a multi-Doctor story to celebrate the anniversary make a big fuss about to the BBC, show your expectations. The more people who do this the more likely the BBC will do the story so not to have a big outcry for not doing it.


    Maybe if the previous actors who played the Doctor are too difficult to get, then forget them. Have Matt Smith have a story with a companion(s) from the past like Ian, Zoe, Jo, Nyssa, Turlough, Peri, Ace, etc...It still would be interesting to see what these companions have done since leaving the Doctor...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TheOldBill

    TheOldBill

    [10]Jul 24, 2012
    • member since: 05/12/05
    • level: 94
    • rank: Hulkmaniac
    • posts: 3,572

    I'll tell you what I want (what I really, really want.) And that's an episode with McGann in it. Just the two of them, or one with McGann, Smith and either McCoy and Tennant. Any adventure with more than three doctors in it wouldn't work, Eccleston has ruled himself out of returning to the show and the Bakers are sadly too fat and grey.

    A film version of The Ancestor Cell, with McGann's Grandfather Paradox regenerating into Eccleston, can wait until I win the lottery!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [11]Jul 25, 2012
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,190

    TheOldBill wrote:


    I'll tell you what I want (what I really, really want.) And that's an episode with McGann in it. Just the two of them, or one with McGann, Smith and either McCoy and Tennant. Any adventure with more than three doctors in it wouldn't work, Eccleston has ruled himself out of returning to the show and the Bakers are sadly too fat and grey.

    A film version of The Ancestor Cell, with McGann's Grandfather Paradox regenerating into Eccleston, can wait until I win the lottery!


    Has Eccleston became like Tom Baker where he thinks he is the show and just refuse to accept the fact that others can play the Doctor? I listen on the DVD extras where the other actors talk about the change in Tom Baker where he goes from being verygreatful for the role to thinking he was bigger than the show. I know both left with from hurt feeling and don't believe that they were treated very well but don't you owe the fans if not the production team?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wildhoney66

    wildhoney66

    [12]Jul 25, 2012
    • member since: 05/17/08
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 843

    no i don't think he is. Christopher E. to him he ONLY wanted to do one season. regardless if the show was picked up for a 2nd season he was only signed up for one season. he had fun doing the show he's said that. but i don't think he think he was bigger than the show. to him he's been done with the since he finished filming it in what (2004) or (2005)



    as for Tom Baker. in a way i think he was bigger than the show cause if you look at who's their favorite doctor they well most people it seems like will say Tom Baker. everyone has a favorite Doctor of course. i think Tom Baker and this is just my own opinion. yes he had bad ill towards the way he was treated at the end of his tenure. that also prolly led to him leaving the show as well.



    it does seem like in recent years he's embraced the show again. i had thought i heard he was coming back to do the 50th even if he's fat and ugly. instead of skinny and ugly. let's face it he was at any age no model looking dude. oh hell even if he is near 80 now. they can i'm sure write that in some way. they did it with that short episode with Peter Davidson didn't they a few years back? he's heavier than he was back when he was on the show as well. and that's a great little special. in short anything's possible when it comes to Doctor Who. even ages.



    if need be they could write around how old Tom Baker is now. and fat too. and i dunno maybe CGI him younger if they do the time split storylie or whatever it's called? either way i think anything can be done on Doctor Who. now if they put in the ones that have since passed away. that'd be more harder. old video of course. & maybe colorize some footage and splice together old footage to put it in the story. anything can be done on computer nowadays i'm sure. they already use CGI. either way i dunno how they'd do this so this is just speculation man.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [13]Jul 26, 2012
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,190

    I just don't think that age and weight will be that big of a deal for the real fan. I have no problem over looking both. I just want to see them together for what most likely be the last time for most of them.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wildhoney66

    wildhoney66

    [14]Jul 27, 2012
    • member since: 05/17/08
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 843

    oh i agree, it would be FANTASTIC to see Ian, Susan, Zoe, Jamie etc.. it'd be bloody fantastic! i'd love to see it cause it'd prolly be the VERY LAST time we'd ever see them on the show. since they are getting up there in years as well.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pferreira86

    pferreira86

    [15]Jul 29, 2012
    • member since: 03/17/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,438

    wildhoney66 wrote:


    no i don't think he is. Christopher E. to him he ONLY wanted to do one season. regardless if the show was picked up for a 2nd season he was only signed up for one season. he had fun doing the show he's said that. but i don't think he think he was bigger than the show. to him he's been done with the since he finished filming it in what (2004) or (2005)


    Now remember Christopher left because he didn't enjoy working with the production team, not because he only planned to do one season. He won't return to the show because that's not how he approaches a role. Revisiting just isn't his thing. Tom Baker became bored with the show and that's why he left. He's said on more than one occasion he'd be willing to do a small part for the anniversary special if his role in it was handled properly.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wildhoney66

    wildhoney66

    [16]Jul 31, 2012
    • member since: 05/17/08
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 843

    oh there's no doubt you know more about doctor who than I do. i was just going by what i think he said in an interview last year i read or it may have been this year? either way it's been awhile. so i may have gotten some of the stuff wrong. the sad thing is i recall didn't Jon Pertwee even say pretty much the same thing? that he'd love to do another one for the show after the 5 doctors was made? but for some reason or other he was NEVER asked back!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [17]Aug 3, 2012
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,190

    How many episodes do you think it willneed to be to do it right?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pferreira86

    pferreira86

    [18]Aug 12, 2012
    • member since: 03/17/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,438

    My news is late but two weeks ago Matt Smith hinted that at least multiple 50th anniversary stories are being done although Steven Moffat hasn't started writing them yet. Smith was also given some story plots for Series 8 which will probably mean Smith will be around at least another couple years.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [19]Aug 13, 2012
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,190

    pferreira86 wrote:


    My news is late but two weeks ago Matt Smith hinted that at least multiple 50th anniversary stories are being done although Steven Moffat hasn't started writing them yet. Smith was also given some story plots for Series 8 which will probably mean Smith will be around at least another couple years.


    I hope he is.Not only do I like Smith a lot but it would be nice to have a Tom Baker type run. Only 3 left and I know if the show is still on with the run of lives come to an end they will really mess it up.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wildhoney66

    wildhoney66

    [20]Aug 17, 2012
    • member since: 05/17/08
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 843

    i also hope he is, maybe he can outdo tom baker's run? ya know it's always nice regardless to hear how much these guys have playing the doctor


    regardless how they sometimes leave the show. hence tom baker. i am curious though if they will stop making doctor who after say the 13th doctor leaves the show, and will they kill him? or just have him keep traveling? or add on more lives to him? and continue the show? i know that the UK doesn't always have shows last even 7 seasons or series, same thing pretty much. but doctor who is a bit different. or will



    they just reboot the show again after this one is done and start out with a different 1st doctor in a non cannon show since this show is suppose to continue right after the original show. also thanxs for the heads up on season 8 and the 50th anniversary as well. the episode or episodes story arc whatever they plan on doing remember does't air until prolly november of next year so i don't think you are late in bringing us any news my friend.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.