Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

50th Anniversary

50th Anniversary

archangelwho

[41]Feb 7, 2013
    • level: 18

All 11 Doctors would be great, better with a few companions but still more than I had felt they would do.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wildhoney66

[42]Feb 7, 2013
    • level: 13

well i love the idea of all 11 doctors as well this has NEVER been done before. yes we've had the 3 doctors and the 5 doctors but never so many as say 11. hell i love that Paul McGann i heard is coming back and S. McCoy' i dunno how they plan on doing this but if it's the last time it'll be done than so be it i guess. i just hope it's no 1 hr episode but say the film which is pretty much the 5 doctors is really.

not a serial but a film. and them bringing back old companions i'd LOVE! even if none of them are from the current version of D.W. i'd love to see Zoe & Jamie back in action. yes they'd be older now. but there is always a way of writing that in i'm sure. i mention them cause frankly those are prolly my favorite companions. i'd love it if Susan Ford. and hell even Wiliam Russell came back as well. i realize he's up there in years now too.

but that doesn't mean they have to make him an action man either. he's far to old for that now. and it breaks my heart that there's no doubt a Sarah Jane appearance had she not passed away. or rather you know she would have been on it in a heartbeat. i'm not in a hurry for this year to end it be november but i can't wait until it airs to be honest.

pferreira86

[43]Feb 10, 2013
    • level: 17

It's all speculation at this point. The previous 10 Doctors could appear in the 50th Anniversary story but only as clips from previous stories. This could happen, we don't know.

wildhoney66

[44]Feb 10, 2013

oh i agree 100% my friend but my point is though i am excited about it. they are including all 11 doctors and even if some of them are only thorugh clips or if they are not. it's still going to be fun to see how they will put all 11 doctors in the special regardless if say the 1st or 2nd doctor only have a cameo in the special. it's still involving them them ya know?

dcpgaus

[45]Feb 13, 2013
    • level: 16
    The next Doctor No. 2 story they have shown is 'The Dominators'. I remember reading the book and I thought it was great - the description of the 'Quarks' was very good. On tv, the story seems very slow moving with lots of repetitive scenes between the 2 Dominators trying to show who is boss. The Quarks are very good robots but the voices of them can't hardly been understood. The Doctor, Jamie and Zoe have some good scenes and the story about pacifism versus agression is a good one - but most of the other characters are quite bland. And the costumes for the Dulkians look a bit crazy - looks like curtain material to me! However, I have never seen this story on tv - so its great to see a Doctor No. 2 story.

wildhoney66

[46]Feb 14, 2013

that's another one i enjoy. and yes their costumes are a WTF ? but honestly i don't really think to much about that cause there are plenty of serials like that no matter the era. and the serial i enjoy, for me that's all that matters NOT how bad the costumes are. i think the problem you are facing is this, when you read the book versions of these serials you are watching you i think are forgetting that these guys who write these books

had time to write more stuff to develope this or that character or characters. the story etc.. when back than they didn't have that luxary at all

they were like a machine write this serial, episode than onto the next one. sometimes the serials turned out perfect and sometimes they didn't.

and if you judge them by the books you won't enjoy them as much. that's what i think anyways

wildhoney66

[47]Feb 14, 2013

another thing you forget is on some things they put in the books they had no budget for it, or hell even the technology at the time for some stuff. but they could put it in a book cause that was well far more cheaper that's for damn sure. my point is try to think of it that way when you watch these serials. that's all i ask.

dcpgaus

[48]Feb 17, 2013

wildhoney66 wrote:

another thing you forget is on some things they put in the books they had no budget for it, or hell even the technology at the time for some stuff. but they could put it in a book cause that was well far more cheaper that's for damn sure. my point is try to think of it that way when you watch these serials. that's all i ask.

You're very forgiving of the poor status of some of the earlier stories! I understand that budget constraints or the constant need to put another story out by the editors is very tough - however, if the show looks a little bit ordinary - people forget the reasons for it (including me!). Now they have shown one of the strangest stories of Doctor Who ever - the Mind Robber. This story is by far, one of the most imaginative, cheap, crazy, boring, interesting of the show. It is hard to classify. The idea that somebody can "write" the story as it goes along is an amazing idea - and the way they dealt with Frazier's sickness and wrote in another person's face for him (for one episode) is brilliant. The scene with the Tardis console in space with Zoe/Jamie clinging to it for dear life is incredible. And Zoe dressed in her one-piece suit is a great companion costume! But the whole story plods along very slowly, the robots/scenery all look really cheap, you never feel that anyone is in any real danger and the Doctor takes forever to find out what is going on. Even the final scene leaves you annoyed - as the Tardis just re-assembles itself and you don't know what has happened to the crew (or the "Master").

pferreira86

[49]Feb 17, 2013

Part One of The Mind Robber is classic stuff. It's all so weird and the ending is the same except also shocking as well.

wildhoney66

[50]Feb 18, 2013

yes i am cause for one thing i love love B movies. and some of my favorite movies had the lowest budges and some of the worst sets. but that doesn't bother me at all cause if the film is good i can have fun with it. my favorite producer of all time is "Roger Corman' and he's done some of the lowest of budgets known to man and i still love his films. some of his films had budgets as low as $1,000-$5,000 bucks and they only worked with what they had.

no matter what the sets looked like. some of the acting wasn't the greatest in some of his films. but a great number of them are great films.

'Lost In Space' which looks terribble by today's standards had a high ass budget back than. so when a tv show or a movie back than is only made for so much it doesn't bother me. kinda like when you watch a low budget movie people complain about his bad the CGI is. that doesn't bother me either cause i don't really care if the CGI is good or not in a low budget film. so if i see i see a serial of say doctor who that doesn't have that great of costumes or sets. i don't really care. as long as i enjoy the serial that's all that matters to me. take 'the thals' in the invasion of the daleks'

if memory serves me right they are wearing i believe life jackets as a costume and though they look like idiots wearing them it's a great serial.

so like i said yes i am forgiving. people are so used to today's sets and everything cause things tend to cost more today than they did back than so they can afford better outfits and sets etc.. but back than they played it by ear and had fun doing it.

ya know?

archangelwho

[51]Feb 23, 2013

I'm the same way. Sets, costumes, props, etc... does not take away from a movie/tv show if it is on a subject I like. The two areas that does get me to turn it off if the history is way off or the science is way off. I'm more forgiving with the science because it is "science fiction' than I'm with the history. The 6th Doctor's (C. Baker) coat was never a problem for me and I'm always surpaise that it was for so many fans. It was a coat worn by the lead. It was not the lead.

Edited on 02/23/2013 6:08am

wildhoney66

[52]Feb 23, 2013

well if the Science is suppose to be right ok. but if it's a show like CSI that i love, i watch all 3 and people get pissed on how wrong the science is on that show. i look at it this way. they don't make it 100% real is there is no doubt that real criminals watch those shows and get ideas. and if they made 100% real than those criminals could get away with murder.and who wants that? so in short that is not an issue with me.

but if it's a show like E.R. where i recall my mom watching it when it 1st came on and she goes they did this all wrong you do this. she's an RN

i do get why she was pissed about it. stuff like that does need to be real.

pferreira86

[53]Feb 24, 2013

wildhoney66 wrote:

but if it's a show like E.R. where i recall my mom watching it when it 1st came on and she goes they did this all wrong you do this. she's an RN

i do get why she was pissed about it. stuff like that does need to be real.

Yes I think it's fair to say E.R. is a fantasy show. I don't really associate the words 'realistic' and 'meaningful' with E.R. or for that matter CSI.Wink

wildhoney66

[54]Feb 24, 2013

yes but when it comes to this shows like E.R. it should be realistic. NOT fake. when it comes to CSI it shouldn't be real

dcpgaus

[55]Feb 25, 2013
    They have now shown 'The Seeds of Death' on tv with Doctor No. 2, Zoe and Jamie. I read the book ages ago and loved it. But the tv story seems very padded out and takes a long time to get going. Zoe is given some intelligent things to do and say (which was a change for a female companion). On the other hand, Jamie has little to do but ask questions. I love the idea of t-mat - and that the moon was being used to transfer items around the world - and the main female character (Miss Kelly) was great, intelligent, dedicated and motivated to make things work. But there are many unexplained things and plotholes in this story. The Doctor and the companions flying to the moon in a rocket (!) and landing (!). The Doctor running to the Weather Bureau through the bursting seed pods/fungus without too much harm... The gang killing Ice Warriors with heat rays and the aliens become puddles(!). Security guards running to help the Doctor with weapons they know don't work on Ice Warriors(!). The Ice Warriors look a bit clumsy in this story - I think when they appear with Doctor No. 3 they look better. But the Ice Warriors weapons are great - the distortion effect was good. It was nice to see Zoe and Jamie again in this celebration of Doctor Who.

wildhoney66

[56]Feb 25, 2013

T-mat if you want to know a bit of trivia, i think that it got mentioned in an earlyier story or it may have been this one but it gets mentioned in later stories years later actually. and i think it even gets mentioned during the current shows run a few times as well.

it's been awhile since i last saw this one so i can't remember what i thought of it. but again the novels are what you are comparing them to.

the ice warriors are also a race who's look also changed as well i think? i haven't been watching doctor who lately so that also explains why

my memory is hazy on some and not others. but as for Zoey & Jamie my favorite companions!

pferreira86

[57]Mar 3, 2013

wildhoney66 wrote:

yes but when it comes to this shows like E.R. it should be realistic. NOT fake. when it comes to CSI it shouldn't be real

Really? CSI is supposed to be a fantasy show? Well how come there's no lasers or superheroes?Wink

wildhoney66

[58]Mar 3, 2013

if you watch some episodes they have done that in a way. like the star trek episode well it wasn't star trek but it's like on castle this season where they went to a sci-fi of some sorts convention to solve a murder. anyways those episodes had lasers in it is my point. my point is i watch them for enjoyment. i don't pick them apart on how bad the science is like some people seem to. for one i don' t know jack about science anyways it was one of my worst subjects in school.

but there have been certain things in the CSI shows that i do wonder if it's real or not? sometimes it is and sometimes it's not. sometimes it's a good thing that it isn't real and sometimes it is a shame as well. either way it's one of my favorite shows like i said i love all 3.

archangelwho

[59]Mar 9, 2013

wildhoney66 wrote:

if you watch some episodes they have done that in a way. like the star trek episode well it wasn't star trek but it's like on castle this season where they went to a sci-fi of some sorts convention to solve a murder. anyways those episodes had lasers in it is my point. my point is i watch them for enjoyment. i don't pick them apart on how bad the science is like some people seem to. for one i don' t know jack about science anyways it was one of my worst subjects in school.

but there have been certain things in the CSI shows that i do wonder if it's real or not? sometimes it is and sometimes it's not. sometimes it's a good thing that it isn't real and sometimes it is a shame as well. either way it's one of my favorite shows like i said i love all 3.

I'm sure they do this in other areas also but in my area 2 or 3 times a year one of our CSI staff comes on TV and they go over all the CSI shows as to what is real, is not. would have been done and would not have been done.

wildhoney66

[60]Mar 9, 2013

as far as i know they don't do that here in the states. i dunno if they do it in college or courses or stuff like that. but as far as i know they don't

have tv shows that are like that, that show what's real of fake for the CSI franchise. or else i'd watch it.