Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

50th Anniversary

50th Anniversary

pferreira86

[81]Apr 21, 2013
    • level: 17

wildhoney66 wrote:

well piss on him my friend, he should do it the next anniversary is what another decade? or so ? and Tom Baker may not be around in 10 years!

I don't think Eccleston cares to that extent.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wildhoney66

[82]Apr 22, 2013
    • level: 13

oh i know he doesn't but we do. i mean come on let's face it when it's the 75th anniversary he'll be an old man. and we won't have that many doctors left at least from this era anyways. depending on how long this version of the show lasts. and let's face it fans even than will want to see some of the original show as part of that take on the show. and looking at the 50th anniversary will make people happy.

but like you said i doubt he will be thinking about this at all.

dcpgaus

[83]Apr 27, 2013
    • level: 16
    All this talk about which doctors are going to be in a special is doing my head in. Even if they would be in a few scenes would be good enough for me...

Recently they showed the 'Hand of Fear' as part of the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who. I remember this mainly for the abrupt ending of Sarah Jane leaving the Doctor. It was so unexpected at the time. Only to be surpassed by Rory and Amy "dying" - that was shocking too. I don't count Adric dying (you could see that coming) and Tegan leaving was also surprising - but she wasn't as loved character as Sarah-Jane. When I see the episode of Sarah Jane/Rose when they meet for the first time, I remember how long Sarah Jane was with the Doctor and how she could relate to Rose's character.

wildhoney66

[84]Apr 27, 2013

oh the episode "Reunion" oh i love that episode for just those reasons. having both of them bicker over who is and was a big part of his life. and etc. was a great scene and than they realize how stupid and childish they are acting was also great too.

and tonights i loved as well. going back to the original show i've been watching season 15 lately. The invisble enemy was a great one. the sunmakers is a decent one but it feels somewhat original somewhat already done at least going by today's standards.

archangelwho

[85]May 1, 2013
    • level: 18

Rose and Sarah Jane. Micky had it right. We have posted about who would like/hope would be part of the 50th. Weat times forget those who are nolonger with us. I would hope that the DVD extra would have something if no more than a side show of those who are gone.

dcpgaus

[86]May 2, 2013

wildhoney66 wrote:

and tonights i loved as well. going back to the original show i've been watching season 15 lately. The invisble enemy was a great one. the sunmakers is a decent one but it feels somewhat original somewhat already done at least going by today's standards.

I think these episodes really show what a good companion Leela was - so original and well acted by Louise Jameson. I was watching the 'Robots of Death' as part of the 50th celebration. This is one of my favourite stories! One by one the people on the ship are killed and its real spooky. Leela is right to feel uncomfortable around the robots - and the way the robots silently move towards their victims (and you can see through their eyes) are very good scenes. The costumes are great (and outlandish!), the robots look real good and the ship looks great. Even the special effects with the small ship model look ok too. And having a detective robot is a great idea. But one strange thing in this story is that Uvanov and Toos (the last 2 people left) don't really seem too concerned that people are being killed all over the place. Toos goes to sleep(!) and Uvanov is more concerned about making money (with no crew to help...)

Edited on 05/02/2013 6:50am

wildhoney66

[87]May 2, 2013

robots of death let's face it have outstanding sets and great FX for the time. i actually agree i enjoyed Leela and though it took me awhile i ended up liking her. now i'm on the last part of 'The Ribos operation and it's not very good to be honest. the start of part one i liked where he meets the white guardian. and Romana 1. though i haven't taken a liking to her yet. she's pretty useless so far. to be honest.

pferreira86

[88]May 6, 2013

wildhoney66 wrote:

robots of death let's face it have outstanding sets and great FX for the time. i actually agree i enjoyed Leela and though it took me awhile i ended up liking her. now i'm on the last part of 'The Ribos operation and it's not very good to be honest. the start of part one i liked where he meets the white guardian. and Romana 1. though i haven't taken a liking to her yet. she's pretty useless so far. to be honest.

Wait till you get to The Pirate Planet. Now that's a great story.

wildhoney66

[89]May 7, 2013

that's the one i'm on now, i just haven't started it yet. i'm kinda on doctor who burn out actually. i watched all of season 14 and season 15. i found season 14 far better actually. season 15 had some good serials but some weak ones as well. i did like the chracter of Leela but it took me awhile to like her. she's an attractive woman but when they put her hair up in 'image of the fendhal' or however ya spell that? for some reason her looks went down from attractive to plain. i dunno why but it did.

maybe it's cause i love long hair on a woman. it's just how i am. i hate it when they get what i call the moe howard hair cut. you can't tell if it's a guy or a woman. and YOU should NOT have to think about that ya know?

wildhoney66

[90]May 8, 2013

i bought 2 more tonight for my collection! 'The Sea Devils' and "The Ark In Space' i forget what i thought of 'The Sea Devils' when i 1st saw it and i've only seen it once actually. but i do recall enjoying "The Ark In Space' which was a VERY good one. i got the SE on that one. by the way.

now i'm up to #44 Dvd's of the series.

dcpgaus

[91]May 13, 2013
    wildhoney66 wrote:

i bought 2 more tonight for my collection! 'The Sea Devils' and "The Ark In Space' i forget what i thought of 'The Sea Devils' when i 1st saw it and i've only seen it once actually. but i do recall enjoying "The Ark In Space' which was a VERY good one. i got the SE on that one. by the way.

I think the Ark in Space is great. The idea of a bug inhabiting your body (while you sleep) is super creepy and then it breaks through your body and takes over. Wow!!! They have shown 'Snakedance' as part of the celebration. I think this story looks better on paper than televised. Although Tegan gets some good scenes as the Mara and some money was obviously spent on sets and costumes, the acting of some of the characters is a bit flat. And all that "red makeup" for the Mara-affected characters doesn't help things either. However, I do think that character of the Mara is unique and its a much better story and the acting is much better than 'Kinda'.

wildhoney66

[92]May 14, 2013

yes 'the ark in space' is great. but i haven't seen those 2 you mentioned Yet.

pferreira86

[93]May 19, 2013

dcpgaus wrote:
    wildhoney66 wrote:

However, I do think that character of the Mara is unique and its a much better story and the acting is much better than 'Kinda'.
    Kinda is a wacky story and I absolutely love it for that. Simon Rouse puts in the best performance of his career.

wildhoney66

[94]May 19, 2013

well at some point i'll get around to watching it. i do have to add that i loved the finale last night. even if they don't add all the doctors in the anniversary special in November. they did last night. and yes we didn't really see Christopher E. face but we saw his jacket and we knew it was him. pretty much. i dunno why they didn't use his face? maybe he wouldn't allow it i dunno? either way it was great the way it was handled.

anyways i was still in the mood to watch doctor who well NOT the original show but the current version so i stuck in my blu-ray of season 5 and watched the 1st episode of that season. and i still say it was a good episode.

archangelwho

[95]May 19, 2013
    • level: 18

Well it look as if it will be just one story long with only Tennant & Rose coming back. If so I guess we need to just wait and see the story before we startjudging and hope the DVD extras make up the rest.

dcpgaus

[96]May 20, 2013

wildhoney66 wrote:

well at some point i'll get around to watching it. i do have to add that i loved the finale last night. even if they don't add all the doctors in the anniversary special in November. they did last night. and yes we didn't really see Christopher E. face but we saw his jacket and we knew it was him. pretty much. i dunno why they didn't use his face? maybe he wouldn't allow it i dunno? either way it was great the way it was handled.

Yes I saw that latest episode with Matt's Doctor - and all the "quick" shots of the past doctors with Clara. That wasn't too bad and it ties in with the 50th celebration a little bit. But with all the latest new episodes, there's lots of fast talking (most of it jibberish) and I hate that the Doctor says "you'll die in the timestream, he'll die in the timestream" and of course, it doesn't happen and everyone's ok. This has happened time and time again in the new series - so you become less invested in what the characters are going through. And the biggest cope out is "the name of Doctor" which doesn't eventuate. Arrr.....

dcpgaus

[98]May 20, 2013

pferreira86 wrote:

Kinda is a wacky story and I absolutely love it for that. Simon Rouse puts in the best performance of his career.

Kinda is kind of wacky alright! Crazy is a better word I think. I just felt that most of the actors didn't do too well and the story translating to the tv screen didn't really work. But thats just my opinion. Not a story I would watch again in a hurry.

Edited on 05/20/2013 10:08am

pferreira86

[99]May 27, 2013

wildhoney66 wrote:

Are you referring to John Hurt as 'The Doctor'? He's wearing the black jacket at the end.

I do believe Kinda is supposed to be funny as it's showing the madness Simon Rouse's character is displaying.

wildhoney66

[100]May 28, 2013

actually no i wasn't. Clara said she saw all his faces and one of them was a fast walking doctor in a leather jacket. and no doubt if she saw all of them and none of them were john hurt than no doubt it would have been Christopher E. what did you think of the finale anyways?