We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

50th Anniversary

50th Anniversary

archangelwho

[101]May 29, 2013
    • level: 19

This is the first post for me that has gotten 100 replies. Yes, some are off subject but I will take it.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dcpgaus

[102]Jun 2, 2013
    • level: 16
    archangelwho wrote:

This is the first post for me that has gotten 100 replies. Yes, some are off subject but I will take it.

Congratulations on getting to 100! Its not easy to do I can imagine. I just saw 'Attack of the Cybermen' with Doctor No. 6 and Peri. Now everyone knows Doctor No. 6 is not a favourite Doctor of mine - however, the story is quite good and the relationship between Peri and this Doctor is getting better. The Cryons are not bad characters and the idea of changing the timelines by moving/destroying Earth with Halleys Comet is a hoot. This isn't a bad story to depict Doctor No. 6 for the celebration year.

dcpgaus

[103]Jun 2, 2013
    Is it just me or has tv.com changed how things work recently ??? Before I was able to see what 'archangel' or 'wildhoney' were also doing on other forums/etc, but now you can't. This makes it difficult to relate to other interests that members have - when you can't have a look at what else they're involved with...

pferreira86

[104]Jun 2, 2013
    • level: 20

dcpgaus wrote:
    Is it just me or has tv.com changed how things work recently ??? Before I was able to see what 'archangel' or 'wildhoney' were also doing on other forums/etc, but now you can't. This makes it difficult to relate to other interests that members have - when you can't have a look at what else they're involved with...
    TV.com has more bugs now than ever.Undecided

wildhoney66

[105]Jun 4, 2013
    • level: 13

i agree it does seem that the more they try to do their best to fix them more seem to pop up. and i loved watched that grid going up as my post count rises. they took that off and i don't like that. and they have yet to put it back in some form.

dcpgaus

[106]Jun 5, 2013
    wildhoney66 wrote:

i agree it does seem that the more they try to do their best to fix them more seem to pop up. and i loved watched that grid going up as my post count rises. they took that off and i don't like that. and they have yet to put it back in some form.

I agree. Also there seems to be a lot of spam posts going into the general forums - and nobody is doing anything about it. And if you try to trace down your own posts to the 'General Tech' forums about things not working, the link is broken. A lot of attention is put into giving people 'videos' of shows/episodes, etc - all the while the existing things about tv.com keep breaking down. Its very disappointing and I'm sure putting other people off visiting the site. Back on the topic of the 50th celebration. I think the relationship between the Doctor and Clara is a good one. It would be nice to have some sort of story with some past companions (if we can't get all the past doctors together) - and interacting with Clara. The other story with Rose and Sarah-Jane was a blast.

archangelwho

[107]Jun 5, 2013

dcpgaus wrote:
    archangelwho wrote:

Congratulations on getting to 100! Its not easy to do I can imagine. I just saw 'Attack of the Cybermen' with Doctor No. 6 and Peri. Now everyone knows Doctor No. 6 is not a favourite Doctor of mine - however, the story is quite good and the relationship between Peri and this Doctor is getting better. The Cryons are not bad characters and the idea of changing the timelines by moving/destroying Earth with Halleys Comet is a hoot. This isn't a bad story to depict Doctor No. 6 for the celebration year.

I agree not only is it C. Baker best story but the best Cybermen story and one the today team should have watched before they brought the Cybermen back.

archangelwho

[108]Jun 5, 2013

pferreira86 wrote:

dcpgaus wrote:

Not only can you nolonger follow others but my Contributons/Forum Posts pages are now blank. I went to the help forum but it seems the last place you go for help is one of the help forum. I now have to search each show to get to the show page.

dcpgaus

[109]Jun 6, 2013
    archangelwho wrote:

pferreira86 wrote:

dcpgaus wrote:

Not only can you nolonger follow others but my Contributons/Forum Posts pages are now blank. I went to the help forum but it seems the last place you go for help is one of the help forum. I now have to search each show to get to the show page.

Gosh I thought you were right for a minute. All easy ways to check forum/contribution posts is gone too. But then I logged in and clicked my user name (at the top right-hand side) and it allowed me to check forum/contributions that I have made. What a reliefffff....Why the contributions/forum posts option for everyone is missing on the generic page is stupid. The tv.com administrators are destryoing this website for most people. Some people I used to follow no longer visit this website anymore or make any contributions. Very disappointing...

archangelwho

[110]Jun 8, 2013
    I have this message at the top of my page. "We're sorry we had to press the pause button, but you are using an unsupported browser. For the fully loaded tv.com experience, please upgrade to the latest version of one of the following browsers:" This is when my trouble began. I have gone to Internet Explorer which say I'm alreadly running the latest verion. I have also updated the latest Firefox and still nothing. Nothing on the upper right works which keep me from getting any messages. The Left side works but most of the pages or blank.

pferreira86

[111]Jun 10, 2013

What I miss is the ability to change my score for TVs to be more precise. TV.com isn't very stable whether it's using Internet Explorer or Google Chrome.

dcpgaus

[112]Jun 10, 2013

I'm using an older version of Internet Explorer and its working for me. I don't think anyone is responsible for the maintenance of normal features of tv.com anymore - only newer (more trendier) features are looked after. Just look at the forums - most questions aren't answered, there's always spam getting in now - and there is a lack of continuous activity by those "in charge".

I saw 'Vengance of Varos' as part of the 50th year thing. While the story had something to say about people watching (and wanting) violence in their lives as entertainment, I always have been in two minds about Sil as a character. The actor does his best with this character but how threatening does he really appear ? Peri becomes a bird - and then goes back to normal very quickly. Not one of the better 6th Doctor story. I wish they had shown the 'Two Doctors' instead - seeing Doctor No. 2/Jamie with Doctor No. 6/Peri would be a blast. Maybe a story like this with the current Doctor would be good too.

Edited on 06/10/2013 9:04am
    Edited 2 total times.

archangelwho

[113]Jun 11, 2013

dcpgaus wrote:

I saw 'Vengance of Varos' as part of the 50th year thing. While the story had something to say about people watching (and wanting) violence in their lives as entertainment, I always have been in two minds about Sil as a character. The actor does his best with this character but how threatening does he really appear ? Peri becomes a bird - and then goes back to normal very quickly. Not one of the better 6th Doctor story. I wish they had shown the 'Two Doctors' instead - seeing Doctor No. 2/Jamie with Doctor No. 6/Peri would be a blast. Maybe a story like this with the current Doctor would be good too.

The Two Doctors or the Attach of the Cybermen would have both been better 50th stoies for the 6th Doctor. Even Revelation of the Daleks would have been btter than Vengance of Varos. Maybe they were trying to make a statement about today TV and games?

wildhoney66

[114]Jun 13, 2013

that one i actually own on dvd i have the SE version. i also bought on wed. night my #45 dvd for "Doctor Who" "The Visitaton' i have yet to watch either of these serials. but i do at some point plan on watching them. so i have another one in my collection. thank god they only had 1 doctor who dvd at best buys. cause i wanted to go home with some money left over and if they had another one i didn't have i would have gone home broke! he he. the other one they had was just Reign of terror and i already have that one. thank god.

archangelwho

[115]Jun 15, 2013

wildhoney66 wrote:

that one i actually own on dvd i have the SE version. i also bought on wed. night my #45 dvd for "Doctor Who" "The Visitaton' i have yet to watch either of these serials. but i do at some point plan on watching them. so i have another one in my collection. thank god they only had 1 doctor who dvd at best buys. cause i wanted to go home with some money left over and if they had another one i didn't have i would have gone home broke! he he. the other one they had was just Reign of terror and i already have that one. thank god.

Have you tried BBCAmericaShop? I find that the DVDs are a dollar or 3 less than Best Buy and after $500.00 the S/H is free. Now with S/H to start with the overall cost may end up higher. I did buy Snowman at Best Buy once I found out it was not past of season 7 part 2 DVD set because I did not want to wait and my understanding is that you need to watch Snowman 1st.

dcpgaus

[116]Jun 16, 2013

Now they have shown 'The Mark of the Rani' with the 6th Doctor and Peri - as the continuing 50th celebration. I don't know - but this story starts off so well - and finishes off so poorly. Having the Rani (a great new villain played by Kate O'Mara) experimenting on humans to gain a substance to help control the people on her homeworld is a good idea. But then the Master comes in - and the story becomes another 'Kill the Doctor' saga. Without the Master, the story may have been ok. But there are too many ridiculous scenes: the Doctor (tied to a trolley) rolling towards a mining tunnel (to his death?), the one with the Doctor tied to a pole between 2 men - who turn into trees(!!) and the last scene with the Rani/Master threatened by a growing T-rex (really!!!): all this makes the story very unbelievable.

wildhoney66

[117]Jun 16, 2013

1stly no i haven't tried BBC America Shop. if i don't get my dvd's from Best Buys. i get them from Amazon. which can also have free shipping as well. anyways have you guys heard about the latest rumor that TVshows on dvd posted on friday? i dunno how long this has been going around about a Sh*tload of doctor who episodes maybe being found in Africa? the rumor is posted on there and that it may contain all of the 1st doctor serials.

nobody knows yet if any of this is true though. Ian Levine has pretty much said it's rubbish it's a lie from my understanding he tweeted that.

and a couple other people who i forget said it was a lie. nobody at the BBC has said yes it's true or no it's not yet. so i dunno if any of this is true mind you. i was really shocked that the guys who run Tv shows on dvd actually posted about that rumor at all. cause normally when it comes to stuff being well maybe being put on dvd or blu-ray they do but when it comes to lost episodes they as far as i know don't. i can't remember if they posted about the last 2 episodes found 2 years ago though. but did any of you hear about this?

pferreira86

[118]Jun 16, 2013

wildhoney66 wrote:

1stly no i haven't tried BBC America Shop. if i don't get my dvd's from Best Buys. i get them from Amazon. which can also have free shipping as well. anyways have you guys heard about the latest rumor that TVshows on dvd posted on friday? i dunno how long this has been going around about a Sh*tload of doctor who episodes maybe being found in Africa? the rumor is posted on there and that it may contain all of the 1st doctor serials.

nobody knows yet if any of this is true though. Ian Levine has pretty much said it's rubbish it's a lie from my understanding he tweeted that.

and a couple other people who i forget said it was a lie. nobody at the BBC has said yes it's true or no it's not yet. so i dunno if any of this is true mind you. i was really shocked that the guys who run Tv shows on dvd actually posted about that rumor at all. cause normally when it comes to stuff being well maybe being put on dvd or blu-ray they do but when it comes to lost episodes they as far as i know don't. i can't remember if they posted about the last 2 episodes found 2 years ago though. but did any of you hear about this?

Do you have a link to this? I'm interested.

archangelwho

[119]Jun 16, 2013

pferreira86 wrote:

wildhoney66 wrote:

Do you have a link to this? I'm interested.

I would like to see it also. Wed can all hope. Beside I have almost all of the DVDs and a few of the lost ones on CDs. It would be nice to complete the set.

archangelwho

[120]Jun 16, 2013

dcpgaus wrote:

Now they have shown 'The Mark of the Rani' with the 6th Doctor and Peri - as the continuing 50th celebration. I don't know - but this story starts off so well - and finishes off so poorly. Having the Rani (a great new villain played by Kate O'Mara) experimenting on humans to gain a substance to help control the people on her homeworld is a good idea. But then the Master comes in - and the story becomes another 'Kill the Doctor' saga. Without the Master, the story may have been ok. But there are too many ridiculous scenes: the Doctor (tied to a trolley) rolling towards a mining tunnel (to his death?), the one with the Doctor tied to a pole between 2 men - who turn into trees(!!) and the last scene with the Rani/Master threatened by a growing T-rex (really!!!): all this makes the story very unbelievable.

From the DVD extras and some of the things that I have read it seem that many of the problems with this story came from Anthony Ainlry, who had the same problem as Tina Louise, that he did not understand that the titile of the story meantthat he was not the lead villain. They made the same mistake again with the sixth Doctor, if I remember correctly. It would have been nice to have a story with just the Rani and the Doctor. From the story it did seem that the Doctor and Rani had a history and may have been the cause of his and the Master problems.