Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

50th Anniversary

50th Anniversary

archangelwho

[161]Jul 28, 2013
    • level: 18

McCoy also shows a darker side in Remembrance of the Daleks and ifI remember correctly also in Delta and the Bannermen. I have read that he had wanted to move the Doctor to a more darker side when the show ended. It would have been nice to see that. I wonder of the audio stories McCoy doespicked up on the darker theme?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wildhoney66

[162]Jul 30, 2013
    • level: 13

i don't use the community option guys cause i could care less about it. i already have you guys here to BS with he he. anyways,

i dunno i think with the current show there have been some good dalek stories and some bad as well.. like in the old show as well. there's great dalek, Destiny of the dalek's is prolly one of the WORST stories the original show ever did. well dalek stories, i'm going by of ones i HAVE seen.

there are no doubt worse ones than that. and there are also some good cyberman stories i think from the current series as well, like the old show as well, there are great ones and there are lesser ones. the last cybermen story that we just got this past season i loved.

my point is both shows have done great serials/stories/episodes and both shows have also done lesser done ones as well. the current master i like cause he is different than the rest. there is no doubt at all in my mind that Roger Degaldo is the best master of them all. no matter who plays him after him, he's easily the best by far. and everyone on the show knew how good he was too when he was alive.

personally they never should have brought him back to the show but than what do i know ya know? anyways, my point i give both shows the benefit of the doubt. if one doesn't like the current show, one shouldn't watch it. sorry for sounding like a fortune cookie. but it just drives me nuts when people and i'm not talking about you folks here, you haven't said anything recently. if you don't like the current show than don't watch it. as for me i think last season sucked ass but it did have some good episodes just not enough. i don't like how they are splitting the seasons in half. i've always hated it when networks do that to shows.

yes it can work don't get me wrong, but it can also backfire as well. i dunno how many shows IF doctor who was on say NBC for example

the 1st half of the season would get good ratings, than they take it off for 3-5 months just to throw a number out there. and that doesn't mean those same figures are going to be there when the show comes back. cause you know what? not everyone keeps track on when a show comes back on. or knows it's back on either. i dunno how many times they've done that to shows i like and i miss a couple of episodes cause i forget about the show and i end up missing an episode or two cause of it. sorry about my ramblings i just hate it when networks do that. or if not the networks than the show runners.

archangelwho

[163]Aug 1, 2013

Steven Moffat stated at the San Diego Comic Con 2013 that the full storyline for the 50th has not gotten out yet. Do you think there will be more and is this just to get more press?

wildhoney66

[164]Aug 4, 2013
    • level: 13

i dunno, i am still hoping we will get more doctors and companions than that have been announced. i doubt we will but since it's for the 50th i am hoping man. i believe they are going to air it the same time in the UK as we here in the state will get it. and that's i think a great idea that way no spoilers will get out. which is the reason i believe it's being done.

you know it's i think pretty amazing when any show is able to keep spoilers from getting out, i dunno how the show LOST did it all those years! he he

dcpgaus

[165]Aug 5, 2013
    • level: 16

Well they have announced the actor who will be the new doctor. I don't know anything about him - PETER Capaldi. He apparently was in an episode of Doctor Who prior. Good luck to him. In the tv special I saw about this news, they showed Matt with a shaved head - now that would have been a good way to show a difference to David.

They have shown the movie with Doctor No. 8. I haven't seen this movie since it was on tv all those years ago. Paul is a great Doctor - and Grace isn't bad as his (temporary) companion. There are lots of first on this movie: the Doctor kisses his companion several times, the Doctor is mentioned to be half-human(!), the Master is a snake and can project venom which causes death/zombie-like obedience, the Eye of Harmony is in the Tardis (and can be opened by a human(!)). However, putting all this aside, the movie zips along and is a good addition to Doctor Who series. The Tardis interior looks amazing and there are some good action scenes. I forgot how much Sylvester was in this movie - good on whoever did this to provide the continuity. It would also be great to include Paul in a 50th special.

pferreira86

[166]Aug 5, 2013
    • level: 17

dcpgaus wrote:
    But I was bored to tears with this story. Yes, 2 Dalek factions fighting on Earth should be interesting, but I never find these stories lead anywhere. Why was a little girl chosen as the head-human-dalek, just for shock value ? Where did she get her "powers" from ? Davros has a small scene and then disppears again (this has happened too many times to be interesting anymore). A guy who Ace likes is shown to be a traitor - big surprise this was. 2 female characters are introduced and given nothing to do - except constantly ask "What is going on". This is a problem if the audience is also asking the same question! A blind priest is given the job to bury the 'coffin' - really??? The Hand of Omega can blow up a sun - and the Doctor gives this to the Daleks, hoping he can double-cross them. This is very unrealistic. And the Doctor confuses a Dalek so much that it implodes....
    What, you had problems with Remembrance of the Daleks?! MY FAVOURITE DOCTOR WHO STORY EVER! HOW DARE YOU! Blasphemy sir, blasphemy! The sheer excellence of this story is a mirror to 1975's Genesis of the Daleks. For those who never read my TV.com blog article let me explain why:

Yes, 2 Dalek factions fighting on Earth should be interesting, but I never find these stories lead anywhere.Of course it leads somewhere, right under Waterloo bridge!

Why was a little girl chosen as the head-human-dalek, just for shock value ?No because of her acting ability. Radcliffe doesn't even know he's working with her, what an idiot.

Where did she get her "powers" from ?The Daleks and that plasma ball thingy. She must of.

Davros has a small scene and then disppears again (this has happened too many times to be interesting anymore). He saved his appearance for the end of the story. The writers didn't wish to overuse him plus when the Doctor interrupted him on that TV signal Davros looked liked he was in the middle of hot wiring his wheel chair. See, always doing something.

A guy who Ace likes is shown to be a traitor - big surprise this was. Really, you saw that coming?

2 female characters are introduced and given nothing to do - except constantly ask "What is going on". Are you kidding, they help the Doctor...ok Alison was useless but Rachel wasn't. Actually they were both about as useful as Captain Gilmore. Maybe they just weren't used to being put in such a crazy situation?

This is a problem if the audience is also asking the same question! Try Ghostlight.Wink

A blind priest is given the job to bury the 'coffin' - really??? Yes and the reason being that since he's blind he'd probably think he succeeded in burying it. Invisible pall bearers, who needs them eh?

The Hand of Omega can blow up a sun - and the Doctor gives this to the Daleks, hoping he can double-cross them. This is very unrealistic.

No what is unrealistic are Daleks who want to turn one person at a time into them while living within 1930s New York. No, not one of their better ideas. That is unrealistic, this is science-fiction.Cry

And the Doctor confuses a Dalek so much that it implodes.... Yeah because McCoy's Doctor is badass, that's all you need to know.

So can you tell I'm a fan of this story...and I saw it for the first proper time an hour after seeingHuman Nature for the first time. I saw the difference...Cool

Edited on 08/12/2013 6:59am
    Edited 4 total times.

archangelwho

[167]Aug 6, 2013

dcpgaus wrote:

Well they have announced the actor who will be the new doctor. I don't know anything about him - PETER Capaldi. He apparently was in an episode of Doctor Who prior. Good luck to him. In the tv special I saw about this news, they showed Matt with a shaved head - now that would have been a good way to show a difference to David.

They have shown the movie with Doctor No. 8. I haven't seen this movie since it was on tv all those years ago. Paul is a great Doctor - and Grace isn't bad as his (temporary) companion. There are lots of first on this movie: the Doctor kisses his companion several times, the Doctor is mentioned to be half-human(!), the Master is a snake and can project venom which causes death/zombie-like obedience, the Eye of Harmony is in the Tardis (and can be opened by a human(!)). However, putting all this aside, the movie zips along and is a good addition to Doctor Who series. The Tardis interior looks amazing and there are some good action scenes. I forgot how much Sylvester was in this movie - good on whoever did this to provide the continuity. It would also be great to include Paul in a 50th special.

I saw an interview with McCoy and he talks about how thankful it was that they allowed him to be part of it. Too bad the new team did not do the same.

archangelwho

[168]Aug 7, 2013

While reading some other posts it came to me that that the storyline at the end of season 7 part 2 was so bad that it allows for anything. Steven Moffat may be a genius

dcpgaus

[169]Aug 8, 2013

I'm glad that we don't all agree about the 'Remembrance' story - otherwise it would be boring. I will say its one of the better McCoy stories - but I just don't find the Daleks interesting generally.

In regards to the new series, I'm not too fussed anymore if one story contradicts another - it seems par for the course now. Maybe the audience wants shocks and spills, and the show has to deliver and top the previous shock. I just enjoy the odd story which is unique and interesting - and the odd scene which is incredible and different. I remember the story about the Tardis becoming a woman! When I first saw it, I thought no-they can't do this. But the acting was incredible and they delved into an area never explored before. Well done to the writer.

Edited on 08/08/2013 9:06am

pferreira86

[170]Aug 12, 2013

Seriously, Remembrance of the Daleks isn't the best story ever. It has it flaws and can get a bit ridiculous at some points but it's still my favorite story ever and definitely worthy enough to at least scrape a top 10 list of best Doctor Who stories. I feel it's enjoyable and fun, the way Doctor Who should be. Plus Geoffrey from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air is in it!Smile

Edited on 08/12/2013 7:04am
    Edited 3 total times.

dcpgaus

[171]Aug 15, 2013
    pferreira86 wrote:

Seriously, Remembrance of the Daleks isn't the best story ever. It has it flaws and can get a bit ridiculous at some points but it's still my favorite story ever and definitely worthy enough to at least scrape a top 10 list of best Doctor Who stories. I feel it's enjoyable and fun, the way Doctor Who should be. Plus Geoffrey from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air is in it!Smile

Scrape into Top 10??? There's a lot better stories than that one! 'Curse of Fenric' is way better - and much more scary!

dcpgaus

[172]Aug 18, 2013
    We're in August - and so its Doctor No. 8 but he was only in one episode really. So I was wondering how they are going to fill in the month. Today I saw a special which reviewed the first 4 doctors. It was good. It described the Doctor's personality (and the actor who played him) and reviewed the monsters and had comments from some past actors, directors, etc. It was good to hear from the actors who played Yates, Leela, K9 and even Tom Baker! And it was sad not to hear from Lis Sladen. But they kept saying that Doctor Who has been on for 50 years. We know thats not true, it was off the air for at least 15 years really. What do other people think about the "50 years" label ?

pferreira86

[173]Aug 18, 2013

dcpgaus wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:

Scrape into Top 10??? There's a lot better stories than that one! 'Curse of Fenric' is way better - and much more scary!
    But it has Geoffrey from The Fresh Prince in it. It should at least get at number 10.Wink

pferreira86

[174]Aug 18, 2013

dcpgaus wrote:
    We're in August - and so its Doctor No. 8 but he was only in one episode really. So I was wondering how they are going to fill in the month. Today I saw a special which reviewed the first 4 doctors. It was good. It described the Doctor's personality (and the actor who played him) and reviewed the monsters and had comments from some past actors, directors, etc. It was good to hear from the actors who played Yates, Leela, K9 and even Tom Baker! And it was sad not to hear from Lis Sladen. But they kept saying that Doctor Who has been on for 50 years. We know thats not true, it was off the air for at least 15 years really. What do other people think about the "50 years" label ?
    50 years relates to the idea that Doctor Who has sort of been around one way or the other for the past 30 years whether through books or audio plays. It's like Star Trek. Deep Space Nine hasn't been on for 20 years but it's celebrating that anniversary this year.

archangelwho

[175]Aug 18, 2013

pferreira86 wrote:

dcpgaus wrote:
    50 years relates to the idea that Doctor Who has sort of been around one way or the other for the past 30 years whether through books or audio plays. It's like Star Trek. Deep Space Nine hasn't been on for 20 years but it's celebrating that anniversary this year.

When people who are not fans question me I tell them that it is not 50 years of 1st run shows (that would be if you take away the time off the air during the C. Baker years but count one year each for the movie andScream of the Shalka I came up with39 years) but 50 years from the first story.The fact that Docotr Who has ran for years in reruns around the world andyou had spin-offs like Reel to Reel and audio stories I think you can get by saying it has been on for50 years as long as you let people out of the know know it was not all 1st run shows.

dcpgaus

[176]Aug 22, 2013
    pferreira86 wrote:

dcpgaus wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:

But it has Geoffrey from The Fresh Prince in it. It should at least get at number 10.Wink

Geoffrey who ? Fresh Prince what ? Just kidding...The only reason I watched this story is because it had Pamela Salem who played Toos in 'Robots of Death'. She almost looked the same - even though years have past since then. Gosh, I remember Toos going to sleep despite that almost everyone on board the ship was dead and there was potential killers running around! Maybe she thought it was all a bad dream...

archangelwho

[177]Aug 23, 2013

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/08/18/doctor-who-davaid-tennant-matt-smith/?cm_mmc=ExactTarget-_-email-_-BBC+America+Newsletter_2013-08-21-_-email&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=BBC+America+Newsletter_2013-08-21

David Tennant talks about filing the 50th. Unless he is staying quiet it looks as if he is just the Doctor and Rose from the past. Sound as if they had a good time doing it. I wonder if this post will make it to 200?

Edited on 08/23/2013 6:04pm

dcpgaus

[178]Aug 25, 2013
    I think if David and Rose are the only past actors on the 50th, it will be a missed opportunity....

They continued on with the review of past doctors/etc for the month of August. They went through Doctors 5-8. It was good to see/hear from the actors who played Nyssa, Tegan, Adric, Turlough, Peri, Mel and Ace - even the Doctor No. 8 companions!!! All the doctors were there too - aged somewhat(!) but Paul/Eric from Doctor No. 8 were missing. This was disappointing. Looking back, the Trial of the Timelord storyline would have been better if it was just a 4-episode story, instead of a constant (and annoying) thread through all the stories that year. Maybe I would have liked Doctor No. 6 tenure a bit better...

pferreira86

[179]Aug 25, 2013

dcpgaus wrote:
    I think if David and Rose are the only past actors on the 50th, it will be a missed opportunity.... They continued on with the review of past doctors/etc for the month of August. They went through Doctors 5-8. It was good to see/hear from the actors who played Nyssa, Tegan, Adric, Turlough, Peri, Mel and Ace - even the Doctor No. 8 companions!!! All the doctors were there too - aged somewhat(!) but Paul/Eric from Doctor No. 8 were missing. This was disappointing. Looking back, the Trial of the Timelord storyline would have been better if it was just a 4-episode story, instead of a constant (and annoying) thread through all the stories that year. Maybe I would have liked Doctor No. 6 tenure a bit better...
    I have to say after what they did with Season 22 I'm rather glad with the changes they made with the Trial of the Timelord Season 23. At least it wasn't setting out to offend and shock at every turn but yeah Season 23 didn't utilize the whole trial aspect enough for it to be worthy of a whole season.

archangelwho

[180]Aug 27, 2013

pferreira86 wrote:

dcpgaus wrote:
    I think if David and Rose are the only past actors on the 50th, it will be a missed opportunity.... They continued on with the review of past doctors/etc for the month of August. They went through Doctors 5-8. It was good to see/hear from the actors who played Nyssa, Tegan, Adric, Turlough, Peri, Mel and Ace - even the Doctor No. 8 companions!!! All the doctors were there too - aged somewhat(!) but Paul/Eric from Doctor No. 8 were missing. This was disappointing. Looking back, the Trial of the Timelord storyline would have been better if it was just a 4-episode story, instead of a constant (and annoying) thread through all the stories that year. Maybe I would have liked Doctor No. 6 tenure a bit better...
    I have to say after what they did with Season 22 I'm rather glad with the changes they made with the Trial of the Timelord Season 23. At least it wasn't setting out to offend and shock at every turn but yeah Season 23 didn't utilize the whole trial aspect enough for it to be worthy of a whole season.

I felt it would have been better if he had to have defended actions from his past. They could have took 2 or 3 actions from each of the Doctor's past life.