Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

Ace vs Ray

archangelwho

[1]May 29, 2012
    • level: 18

I would never replace Ace. She has always been one of my favorites. But after Mel it would have been nice to have a quiet companion. Ace had a great backgraund story that was never given a chance to be fully developed. Ray did not seem to have the background story but there was something very likeable about her. And after the commentary on Delta and the Bannermen I feel that Sara Griffiths would have been great for the show.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pferreira86

[2]Jun 5, 2012

I've always felt Ray was a bit damp. She had this lovestruck personality and couldn't seem to think for herself so it's probably why Billy ended up with Delta, instead of her. I mean she seemed fairly happy to forget Billy as soon as he gave her 'The Vincent'. Tongue out

Ace on the other hand had more intelligence and ingenuity. I liked Ray and think she's cute. I find Sara Griffiths fake Welsh accent which is often criticised for being this actually adds to the cute innocence of the character, making her enjoyable to watch. In terms of acting, considering they had to find a replacement actress at the last minute Griffiths did a very good job at it. Having said that Ace showed more room for development.

archangelwho

[3]Jun 5, 2012

pferreira86 wrote:

I've always felt Ray was a bit damp. She had this lovestruck personality and couldn't seem to think for herself so it's probably why Billy ended up with Delta, instead of her. I mean she seemed fairly happy to forget Billy as soon as he gave her 'The Vincent'. Tongue out

Ace on the other hand had more intelligence and ingenuity. I liked Ray and think she's cute. I find Sara Griffiths fake Welsh accent which is often criticised for being this actually adds to the cute innocence of the character, making her enjoyable to watch. In terms of acting, considering they had to find a replacement actress at the last minute Griffiths did a very good job at it. Having said that Ace showed more room for development.

Ms. Griffiths talks about how actors will at times state that they can do something whcih they cannot just to get an interview. She talks about telling the contact person that she coulddo a Welsh accent and ride amotorbike when she could do nither yet she still got the job. I think one thing was the role of Ray was not one of the focus role as it was with Ace so we did not see what Ray could have been or learn much about her. I agree after watching both Ace was the better choice but there was something about Ray that make me feel she should have been given a chance at some point. And from Ms. Griffiths remarks she would have been asgood for the show as Ms. Aldred has.

pferreira86

[4]Jun 10, 2012

archangelwho wrote:

pferreira86 wrote:

Ms. Griffiths talks about how actors will at times state that they can do something whcih they cannot just to get an interview. She talks about telling the contact person that she coulddo a Welsh accent and ride amotorbike when she could do nither yet she still got the job. I think one thing was the role of Ray was not one of the focus role as it was with Ace so we did not see what Ray could have been or learn much about her. I agree after watching both Ace was the better choice but there was something about Ray that make me feel she should have been given a chance at some point. And from Ms. Griffiths remarks she would have been asgood for the show as Ms. Aldred has.

Yes, from the commentary for the story she seems to have no regrets for doing Doctor Who. She very much enjoyed it.