Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

An Adventure in Space and Time (BBC America 22nd Nov 9pm ET)

steamheaduk

[1]Nov 21, 2013
    • level: 19

This is a 90 minute drama featuring the story of Hartnell's time on Doctor Who, from it's inception, almost being cancelled after 4 episodes, it shows the rise of the program in popular culture and takes us to the departure of the first Doctor in 1966.

Made in exquisite detail, we get to see sixties period clothes and technology, and all of the original sets recreated in fantastic detail. To see the original TARDIS set is an absolute joy. Also quite nice to see all this in colour too, which shows up especially well in the recreated scenes from Marco Polo. And of course the infamous smoking Mondas Cyberman.

Also watch out for cameos, there are plenty of original companions in there.

I heartily recommend this movie to classic Who fans.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dcpgaus

[2]Nov 24, 2013
    • level: 16
    I saw this. I was expecting a doco-style look at early doctor who - but instead it was a recreation of the first years of doctor who. The focus being Verity (the producer) and Bill (doctor no .1). It was very good but I felt I was watching a show exploring Bill's descent into illness and senility - and this was a little sad. The ending was sad and happy at the same time.

pferreira86

[3]Nov 24, 2013
    • level: 17

It was really good. It was both sad but very well written. It's not just for Doctor Who fans but for anybody to watch generally.

steamheaduk

[4]Nov 25, 2013
    • level: 19

It was beautifully done, treated the topic with respect, even if that topic had some unpleasant elements.

I suspect some awards in order for this show. Fantastic attention to detail, and engaging story, and beautifully acted.

The DVD release actually has more scene reconstructions not seen in the program itself.