Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

Best story for Doctor No. 6

dcpgaus

[1]Jun 23, 2012
    • level: 16

In Australia, they're about to start showing Doctor No. 6 episodes. While I think Colin's Doctor was one of the worst and some of his stories were bad and some of the acting was real bad, what do you think was his best story?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

archangelwho

[2]Jun 24, 2012
    • level: 19

For me it is Attach of the Cybermen". Not only do I feel that it is Colin Baker best story but one of the best, if not the best Cybermen story of all time. It gives us detail of what it takes to turn a human, or my guess any other species, into a Cyberman. Unlike the new Cybermen where it is nip, cut, done. There are also a great underlining story with Lytton and a great turn at the end."Vengeance On Varos" and "The Two Doctors"were good. and would be 2 & 2A.

archangelwho

[3]Jun 29, 2012

Oh, tell any new viewers to block out the clothing. Once you get by the coat, which I stopped even noticing after a few shows, it helps with your enjoying the stories more. They still not great But C. Baker is not a bad Doctor.

dcpgaus

[4]Jun 30, 2012
    I'm going for Mark of the Rani. Kate 's evil Timelady was a great new creation and the story was fairly good (the Rani experimenting on mankind throughout the ages for her own evil plans on her planet). Unfortunately the Master was included and he really wasn't needed in the story. And Peri was actually dressed in this story - this was something different for her character!

archangelwho

[5]Jul 2, 2012

I wish they done more with Rani. She would be a good one to bring back for a new story.

dcpgaus

[6]Jul 18, 2012
    dcpgaus wrote:
    I'm going for Mark of the Rani. Kate 's evil Timelady was a great new creation and the story was fairly good (the Rani experimenting on mankind throughout the ages for her own evil plans on her planet). Unfortunately the Master was included and he really wasn't needed in the story. And Peri was actually dressed in this story - this was something different for her character!

I just saw this story on tv - and I've changed my mind. The story just plods along - and when they want a bit of excitement, they pretend the Doctor is going to be killed. This happens quite a few times! The Master shouldn't be in this story at all - his antics to kill the Doctor are so boring to watch (you know the Doctor isn't going to die...) and it throws the story out of kilter...

archangelwho

[7]Jul 20, 2012

dcpgaus wrote:
    dcpgaus wrote:
    I just saw this story on tv - and I've changed my mind. The story just plods along - and when they want a bit of excitement, they pretend the Doctor is going to be killed. This happens quite a few times! The Master shouldn't be in this story at all - his antics to kill the Doctor are so boring to watch (you know the Doctor isn't going to die...) and it throws the story out of kilter...

The Master's role in this story seem to be question by most fans. Just was no reason. It took away from the Master and you were trying to introduce a new evil Time Lord and you take away from Rani. One two many evil Time Lords. Do you think they did it because Rani needed the help or because they felt the show needed the return of the Master?

dcpgaus

[8]Jul 29, 2012
    Maybe the producers were concerned about the story (it definitely was underwritten in the 'Industrial Revolution' part) - so they thought to throw the Master in - would add more spice. It just made the episode less interesting. I mean, how many times do we need to have a story where the Master wants to kill the Doctor! Its boring if we know that Doctor isn't going to die - or if there isn't any longterm ramifications about was has occurred. Anyway, seen the only full season with Doctor No. 6 (I don't count the 'Trial' season - that never happened as far as I am concerned), and I think the 'Two Doctors' and the 'Revelation of the Daleks' were No. 6 best stories. I liked the 'Two Doctors' because I got to see the older Doctor and Jamie - and I thought the story was complex. I have never liked the Dalek stories but with Davros, there is at least some chance of proper dialogue between the Doctor and the Daleks - and it was interesting that Davros was known as the 'Great Healer' Very funny. I also thought in both stories that the Doctor and Peri had a good relationship.

archangelwho

[9]Jul 29, 2012

dcpgaus wrote:
    Maybe the producers were concerned about the story (it definitely was underwritten in the 'Industrial Revolution' part) - so they thought to throw the Master in - would add more spice. It just made the episode less interesting. I mean, how many times do we need to have a story where the Master wants to kill the Doctor! Its boring if we know that Doctor isn't going to die - or if there isn't any longterm ramifications about was has occurred. Anyway, seen the only full season with Doctor No. 6 (I don't count the 'Trial' season - that never happened as far as I am concerned), and I think the 'Two Doctors' and the 'Revelation of the Daleks' were No. 6 best stories. I liked the 'Two Doctors' because I got to see the older Doctor and Jamie - and I thought the story was complex. I have never liked the Dalek stories but with Davros, there is at least some chance of proper dialogue between the Doctor and the Daleks - and it was interesting that Davros was known as the 'Great Healer' Very funny. I also thought in both stories that the Doctor and Peri had a good relationship.

Remember Davros supporters viewed him as the savior of their race.