Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

Companion Chronicles

archangelwho

[1]Jun 20, 2013
    • level: 18

Ran across these audio adventures while I was ordering vol. 4 & 5 of the Lost Episodes. From reading the review it sounds like they follow the type of storylines as the Reel to Reel stories. Has anyone evelisten to one of these? If so how were they?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pferreira86

[2]Jun 23, 2013
    • level: 17

Apparently The Companion Chronicles are coming to an end last I heard.

archangelwho

[3]Jun 23, 2013

How is your day going? Raining here.

pferreira86

[4]Jun 30, 2013

Hot today and sunny.

archangelwho

[5]Jun 30, 2013

Has any one liisten to any of these. I for one enjoy the audio CDs rather it is the lost episodes and the original stories. I have not gotten any without the Doctor being part of the story but I did really like the SJA. Not too hot today, mid 80's. Rain coming. Has been raining alway evey day for a week but we need it after years of below rain levels.

Edited on 06/30/2013 12:16pm

pferreira86

[6]Jul 7, 2013

Really nice today, can't complain.Cool

Edited on 07/07/2013 12:33pm

steamheaduk

[7]Jul 8, 2013
    • level: 19

I've listened to Night's Black Agents because it forms part of the Sixth Doctor and Jamies quartet (between City of Spires and Wreck of the Titan). It was enjoyable, but I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to listen to any others, unless they too were part of some other story arc.

Format wise it was a little odd in that it never really decided on whether it was an Audio Book, or Audio drama. Most of the time it was an presented like a story being told by Jamie, but occasionally other actors would provide some of the voices, which I found a little inconsistent when Jamie would effectively impersonate the Doctor's delivery, but have more of a "live action" scene with other characters. I just which it had picked a format and stuck with it.

However I was chatting with Frazer a few months ago and he was telling me about some of the others where he impersonates Patrick Troughton and he said those that have heard it says he captures him quite well. So I may look out for some of those.

archangelwho

[8]Jul 8, 2013

steamheaduk wrote:

I've listened to Night's Black Agents because it forms part of the Sixth Doctor and Jamies quartet (between City of Spires and Wreck of the Titan). It was enjoyable, but I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to listen to any others, unless they too were part of some other story arc.

Format wise it was a little odd in that it never really decided on whether it was an Audio Book, or Audio drama. Most of the time it was an presented like a story being told by Jamie, but occasionally other actors would provide some of the voices, which I found a little inconsistent when Jamie would effectively impersonate the Doctor's delivery, but have more of a "live action" scene with other characters. I just which it had picked a format and stuck with it.

However I was chatting with Frazer a few months ago and he was telling me about some of the others where he impersonates Patrick Troughton and he said those that have heard it says he captures him quite well. So I may look out for some of those.

How well do you know Mr. Hines? My goddaughter loves him. If I pay the postage could I get something signed for her and maybe one for me?

steamheaduk

[9]Jul 9, 2013

archangelwho wrote:

steamheaduk wrote:

How well do you know Mr. Hines? My goddaughter loves him. If I pay the postage could I get something signed for her and maybe one for me?

Sorry, don't know him any more than the next fan, but it was at ComicCon Birmingham and at the time very quiet. So me and my son got to have a very long chat with him about all sort of things, including the Big Finish stuff as we took a cover to get signed. He was a real pleasure to meet.

There's a great site here that lists all the Who actors personal appearances, he's well worth a trip out to meet, and he still has a few UK, US and Australia appearances on there - http://doctorwhoactorappearances.blogspot.co.uk/

archangelwho

[10]Jul 9, 2013

Thanks, I will check it out.

pferreira86

[11]Aug 5, 2013

Got a picture taken with him not long ago. He seems like a nice person.

Edited on 08/05/2013 12:31pm

archangelwho

[12]May 31, 2014

I was on amazon today and started to buy a few for the summer but seeing some companions has done more than one is there an order that I need to buy them it? Do one feed into the next story? Where could I find a list? amazon does not seem to have them in any order nor do they carry all of them. I was looking for "To the Death" which amazon does not list.amazon also does not list the book "THe Eight Doctors".

steamheaduk

[13]Jun 1, 2014

With any complex body of work, I tend to go for the order they were released, rather than try and find some internal story chronology. That's because that's the order the "author" originally told the story so all the narrative surprises are preserved.

For example, if you watch Star Wars from episode 1-6 you get no big reveal (to the audience) at the end of episode 5, it is a much more satisfying watch to watch them 4-5 then 1-3, and besides that, if you started with 1 you probably wouldn't bother with the rest.

So for companion chronicles here's the definitive release order -

http://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/all_reverse/doctor-who---companion-chronicles/perpage:0

Though it does get a little more complicated in places, as sometimes you get range crossover, for example Night's Black Agents is best listened to between Big Finish Monthly episodes The City of Spires and Wreck of the Titan.

Some of the stories that are embedded between other ranges have details on the "Behind the Scenes" tab when you select any of the stories from the list produced by the link above.

archangelwho

[14]Jun 2, 2014

Thanks for the link. They has a specialgoing that ended today due to the CC coming to an end in June. I got season 1 & 2. That is 8 stories and I have the oder that they was done. If I like them I can go back and get the rest later. One thing I got got. My page did have US listed but the oder is coming from the U.K. Are CD the same as DVD where they are recorded by regions? Will the ones shipped to me play in the US on a US Cd player? I guess I should have checked 1st but time was runnibg out for the special. I was unsure if they was using UK time or my US time. Plus the kids was asking a lot of questions.

steamheaduk

[15]Jun 3, 2014

archangelwho wrote:

Thanks for the link. They has a specialgoing that ended today due to the CC coming to an end in June. I got season 1 & 2. That is 8 stories and I have the oder that they was done. If I like them I can go back and get the rest later. One thing I got got. My page did have US listed but the oder is coming from the U.K. Are CD the same as DVD where they are recorded by regions? Will the ones shipped to me play in the US on a US Cd player? I guess I should have checked 1st but time was runnibg out for the special. I was unsure if they was using UK time or my US time. Plus the kids was asking a lot of questions.

There is no regional protection on audio CDs, mercifully they are the same the world over.

archangelwho

[16]Jun 5, 2014

steamheaduk wrote:

archangelwho wrote:

There is no regional protection on audio CDs, mercifully they are the same the world over.

Good this means I'm not as dumb as I think I'm. (This post is not open for debate.)

archangelwho

[17]4 hrs, 16 mins ago

I have listen to 6 so far.one each with Peter Purves, Maureen O'Brien, Frazer Hines (who does a great Troughton. I have heard that he does but until you hear it you don't understand how well he does Troughton), Wendy Padbury, Caroline John and Nicholas Courtney. The run time is the same on all of them.At the end of the ones with Purves, Hines and Courtney there is a short interview. The ones with O'Brien, Padbury and John there is no interview. I just was wondering why. 3 malesand 3 females companions.The males have interviews and the females do not.