Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

Confusing stories for Dr. No. 7

dcpgaus

[1]Sep 3, 2012
    • level: 16

I have been watching the recent run on Doctor No. 7 stories in Australia. While this doctor is a huge improvement on Doctor No. 6 and his relationship with Mel and then Ace is very good, some of the stories are confusing and don't make a lot of sense. Its like I need some notes to explain what is going on - and I feel tv stories should explain themselves through dialogue and action. Only Dragonfire and Fenric make any sense, the others look cobbled together with scenes that don't flow together. Paradise Towers, Happiness Patrol, Nemesis, Battlefield, Ghostlight are either uninteresting or confusing. What do you think ?

Edited on 09/03/2012 9:17am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dcpgaus

[2]Sep 7, 2012
    The final 2 stories have finished and I think they raised the whole series to a new level - similar to the new series. Ace gets a lot of character development that never really happened to any other companion. And the relationship between the Doctor and Ace sort of mimics what happens with the Doctor and Rose. Sophie is great as Ace - as she struggles with her feelings about her mum in Fenric and then she continues a different sort of struggle with the cat-like feelings in Survival. In both stories she shows a wide range of emotions about the Doctor from rage, to betrayal, anger, frustration to happiness. I forgot the details about Ace and the Doctor's closeness until these stories were shown again. Maybe Ace should be included in any 50th celebration!

archangelwho

[3]Sep 7, 2012
    • level: 18

Ghostlight is viewed by many as one of the better ones of McCoy's. At least from things I have read. I like McCoy as the Doctor but like you I findmany of the stories are hard to watch which takes much away from McCoy.

Edited on 09/07/2012 5:03pm

wildhoney66

[4]Sep 7, 2012
    • level: 13

that one i actually have on dvd. Ghost light isn't a terrible serial but it's a decent one. it's a bit slow but once it picks up it turns out to be a decent serial. there are i'm sure far worse serials than ghost light.

dcpgaus

[5]Sep 13, 2012
    I found Ghostlight still difficult to follow. I did like that Ace had a connection with the house - she had an incident there years ago and tried to burn it down I think - but the insect-like creatures were more funny than scary and lots of the characters just stare into space most of the time. And lots of running around and achieving not much in this story. However, I agree that other stories were worse - Time and the Rani for one!

wildhoney66

[6]Sep 14, 2012

oh there's a LOT to be said that is wrong with 'ghost light' to be fair. but again it was at the end of the show's run and nobody really gave to shits of a care when it came to "Doctor who' by than. from what i hear. i hear they did do some good serials but they also did a LOT of bad ones as well.

the BBC by than didn't care about the show anymore. i saw an interview i think it was on one of the dvd releases i have. i forget which one. where the dude who cancelled it was saying he saw it and how bad of a show it was. well that response did really make me mad. but than one wonders if he had say EVER gotten around to watch the show when it was in it's prime would he had tried to make it better or even save it?

cause you can easily tell how small of a budget 'Ghost light' is. it would NOT surprise me if the show had a bigger budget back when it 1st came out than when it ended. and i really doubt that dude who cancelled it will ever watch anymore doctor who. i forget what his exact response to it was. but yes 'ghost light' is one i haven't watched for awhlie. but i did like ace's history with the house as well.

archangelwho

[7]Sep 21, 2012
    • level: 18

dcpgaus wrote:
    I found Ghostlight still difficult to follow. I did like that Ace had a connection with the house - she had an incident there years ago and tried to burn it down I think - but the insect-like creatures were more funny than scary and lots of the characters just stare into space most of the time. And lots of running around and achieving not much in this story. However, I agree that other stories were worse - Time and the Rani for one!

I had to watch it 2 or 3 times before I was able to work out Ace's history with the house and may need to rewatch it to remember the starting incident of her history with the house. Yes, they were hard to follow which is sad because I think McCoy could have been a great Doctor and Ace is viewed by many fans as one of the top 5 companions.

pferreira86

[8]Sep 23, 2012
    • level: 17

archangelwho wrote:

dcpgaus wrote:

I had to watch it 2 or 3 times before I was able to work out Ace's history with the house and may need to rewatch it to remember the starting incident of her history with the house. Yes, they were hard to follow which is sad because I think McCoy could have been a great Doctor and Ace is viewed by many fans as one of the top 5 companions.

McCoy is a great Doctor! The sheer awesomeness of Remembrance of the Daleks is a testament to that. In fact TV Tropes has a sheer 'awesomeness trope' because Ace hits a Dalek with a baseball bat in that story. Now what other Doctor era can claim fame to that?

Seriously his first year was pretty shaky with only Delta and the Bannermen coming out decent. But his last two years were a return to form, it's just a shame people had stopped watching. As for Michael Grade saying the show was past it's sell-by-date...well we all know he's a Cyberman so not much news there.Wink

ChipsTheButler

[9]Sep 30, 2012
    • level: 9
    archangelwho wrote:

dcpgaus wrote:

McCoy was a great doctor. Remember when he managed to keep Spock alive, even though his brain was removed?

wildhoney66

[10]Sep 30, 2012

dammit jim that wasn't an easy thing to do. sorry i couldn't help myself. i'm not a big star trek fan. but i enjoy watching it every now and than.

actually the figures where down than what they once were, i dunno who i would say is the worst doctor but i don't think it'd be McCoy maybe the 6th doctor. was going to say baker but i didn't want to confuse anyone cause they have the last name! and oddly look alike now too!

pferreira86

[11]Sep 30, 2012
    • level: 17

ChipsTheButler wrote:
    archangelwho wrote:

dcpgaus wrote:

McCoy was a great doctor. Remember when he managed to keep Spock alive, even though his brain was removed?
    Nah, that was all Spock!Sealed