Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

Could Omega help to bring back the Timelords?

archangelwho

[1]Aug 30, 2014
    • level: 18

Don't know about the rest but the Daleks and Cybermen are starting to get old. For those who do not know Omega you may need to watch "The Three Doctors" story # 65, "Arc of Infinity" story # 124 and listen to the audio drama "Omega" but out by Big Finish. Yes Omega is mad. He is also mad but does take a tour though sanity from time to time and he does worry a great deal how he is viewed on Gallifrey. Yes he is now made out of anti-matter but that does not seem to be as much of a concern as one would think. Now that we seem to be over the "puppy love" stage of Doctor Who it is a good time to develop a new storyline. How about rebuilding Gallifrey with the Doctor and the Three of Omega, Rassilion and The Other. We may even find out more about the Time War, bring back the War Doctor, the history of the Time Lords and the Doctor's past and family. Was the Doctor trulyan unhappy bookworm when he took the TARDIS as Omega stated? Since season 8 DVD release is set for Nov. my guess they have finished season 8. But season 9 would be good. With the help of a regenerated Susan, Romana and an older Leela, played by Louise Jameson, would make a great team.We don't know what happen to Romana. Did she go with the other Time Lords? As far as we know Susan is still on Earth. Ms. Ford and Ms. Ward could even come back for the regeneration. And per the audio adventures "The Companion Chronicles" Leela seem to have survived the Time War(s) and die much later.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

steamheaduk

[2]Aug 30, 2014
    • level: 19

The whole point of "The Time War" from a writers point of view was that they could effectively ignore any continuity they want to. I'm pretty sure it was done deliberately so as not to have to worry about the huge canon of work that followed it going off the air. Such as the New Adventure Novels and Big Finish. On the whole they seem to have gone with following what happened on the show, ignoring or recycling the novels, and paying a slight nod to Big Finish here and there. But anything they miss or get wrong, can be written off as - oh that changed because of the Time War.

So essentially they can have Susan, Romana and Leela anywhere they like. Especially since Day of the Doctor Time Warred the Time War. Having heard Carole Ann Ford play against the 8th Doctor in Big Finish, I reckon she'd play great against Capaldi, no need for a Regen.

I suspect Omega is already in the sights of a storyline, we had the obvious reference in Day of the Doctor, but less obvious, look at the logo of the "Church" behind most of Matt's era. That to me looks like the letter Omega around the outside.

archangelwho

[3]Aug 30, 2014

When I suggested a regen for Ms. Ford I was thinking a season or more.It would be great from my point of view to have all Ms. Ford, Ward and Jameson back even part time.We don't get much about how everyone is doing on this side of the pond.Do you think Ms. Ford could do at least a part time role?

PS The picture did not open up on my end.

Edited on 08/30/2014 11:20am

steamheaduk

[4]Aug 30, 2014
    • level: 19

All three of them seem happy to reprieve their respective roles for Big Finish, Lalla is even doing some episodes with Tom again, and Louise is now writing for Big Finish as well. So I imagine they'd all be quite happy to pick it up again.

The image is here http://i.imgur.com/ks3ZT.jpg

But just look at any of the episodes containing the army of the Papal mainframe and you'll see the logo on uniforms etc.

archangelwho

[5]Aug 30, 2014

steamheaduk wrote:

All three of them seem happy to reprieve their respective roles for Big Finish, Lalla is even doing some episodes with Tom again, and Louise is now writing for Big Finish as well. So I imagine they'd all be quite happy to pick it up again.

The image is here http://i.imgur.com/ks3ZT.jpg

But just look at any of the episodes containing the army of the Papal mainframe and you'll see the logo on uniforms etc.

Thanks.

dcpgaus

[6]Sep 18, 2014
    • level: 16
    Yes - enough of the Daleks and Cybermen! The Daleks are boring - every time they come back I always hope for something different - but they always go back to 'Exterminate'...and escape...So boring...They should have had the 'nice' Dalek become a companion, that would have been different!!! Omega would be great to come back. I liked both stories he was in - even though some people didn't like 'Arc of Infinity' - I thought it was a good story with Doctor/Nyssa working really well together, some good support with Damon and the other Timelords acting as typical politicians was good too. The part that didn't work as well was the scenes in Holland - with Tegan's cousin/friend.

archangelwho

[7]Sep 18, 2014

dcpgaus wrote:
    Yes - enough of the Daleks and Cybermen! The Daleks are boring - every time they come back I always hope for something different - but they always go back to 'Exterminate'...and escape...So boring...They should have had the 'nice' Dalek become a companion, that would have been different!!! Omega would be great to come back. I liked both stories he was in - even though some people didn't like 'Arc of Infinity' - I thought it was a good story with Doctor/Nyssa working really well together, some good support with Damon and the other Timelords acting as typical politicians was good too. The part that didn't work as well was the scenes in Holland - with Tegan's cousin/friend.

It never crossed my mind but you are correct a good Dalek would make a great companion. How come the production team don't come up with these ideas? They could turn into a teaching story line kind like Star Trek TNG did with Hugh.

Get the audio drama "Omega" it really widen the Omega storyline. I also liked Arc of Infinity. It gaveus a better look at who the Time Lords are.

dcpgaus

[8]Oct 2, 2014
    • level: 16
    archangelwho wrote:

dcpgaus wrote:

It never crossed my mind but you are correct a good Dalek would make a great companion. How come the production team don't come up with these ideas? They could turn into a teaching story line kind like Star Trek TNG did with Hugh.

Get the audio drama "Omega" it really widen the Omega storyline. I also liked Arc of Infinity. It gaveus a better look at who the Time Lords are.

Yes the Hugh thing was interesting - and what a way to celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who - than to have the Doctor and his greatest enemy working together!!! This would have been a shocking surprise I would like to see...

archangelwho

[9]Oct 2, 2014

From the time yo suggested it I ave been running storylines though my head. Iwonder what others thin about an eneny becomming a companion?