Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

Doctor Who DVD release extras

pferreira86

[1]Jan 23, 2011
    • level: 18

Since I posted the list of 2011 releases I thought I'd post the extras as well:

Kinda:

* Optional CGI FX
    * Feature on director Peter Grimwade
    * Commentary
    * Original studio footage
    * Dream Time - Making of... documentary
    * Matthew Waterhouse on 'Top of the Pops'

Snakedance:

* Snake Charmer- Making of... documentary
    * Commentary
    * Deleted and extended scenes
    * Part 4 alternative ending
    * Original Studio Footage

Carnival of Monsters:
    * Destroy All Monsters - Making of... documentary
    * Commentary
    * The Mary Celeste Mystery documentary
    * Early edit of episode 2
    * The A to Z of Gadgets documentary
    * On Target With.. Ian Marter
    * Previous extras

Resurrection of the Daleks:

* UK 2-part version with new commentary, new 5.1 mix
    * Isolated score
    * Casting Far and Wide
    * Come in Number Five (era documentary presented by David Tennant)
    * Easter Egg
    * Tomorrow's Times - The 5th Doctor
    * Previous extras

The Seeds of Death:

* Audio trailer
    * Lords of the Red Planet documentary
    * Monsters Who Came Back For More documentary
    * Monster Masterclass
    * Previous extras

Spearhead from Space:

* New restored version "from high definition telecine transfer"
    * Regenerations: From B&W to Colour documentary
    * Down to Earth - Making of... documentary
    * New commentary

Terror of the Autons:

* Nestle comic strip
    * Additional footage from Episode One
    * Commentary
    * Plastic Fantastic documentary
    * The Doctor's Moriarty
    * Life on Earth - Making of... documentary

Planet of the Spiders

* Commentary
    * 90m compilation version
    * Jon Pertwee on 'Wogan'
    * John Kane Remembers
    * The Final Curtain documentary
    * Directing: Barry Letts
    * Now and Then - Locations documentary

Frontios

* Commentary
    * Isolated Score
    * Driven to Distraction - Making of... documentary

The Awakening:

* 'Horse destroys gate' outtake
    * On The Cutting Room Floor
    * Kamelion deleted scene
    * Barry Newbery: Designer documentary
    * Back to Little Hodcombe documentary
    * Commentary
    * Location footage compilation
    * Now and Then locations documentary

(Richard Bignell adds: "Well, the 'Kameilion deleted scene', 'Horse destroys gate' outtake and the 'Locations footage compilation' are 'From the Cutting Room Floor' along with other stuff.

And I don't think the Barry Newbery feature ever got made. There's something else on there in its place.")

The Gunfighters:

* End of the Line? documentary
    * Tomorrow's Times: The First Doctor
    * Commentary

Paradise Towers

* Girls, Girls, Girls: 1980s
    * Horror on the High-Rise - Making of... documentary
    * All four episodes with rejected score by David Snell
    * Commentary
    * Jigsaw

Tomb of the Cybermen:
    * New commentary
    * Tomb and the Magic of VidFART documentary
    * Sky Ray Promo TV spot
    * Lost Giants documentary
    * Curse of the Cybermen's Tomb documentary
    * Cybermen - extended version of documentary (from Cybermen box set)

Robots of Death:

* Sandmine Murders - Making of... documentary
    * New commentary
    * Robophobia documentary
    * Girls, Girls, Girls: 1970s
    * "Plus all other VAM as previously released"

The Three Doctors:

* Making of... documentary
    * When DW was Uncool documentary
    * Massive ¤¤¤¤-up in the encoding / authoring of the previous edition fixed
    * All previously-released VAM features "and more TBC"

Ambassadors of Death:

* Battle for Mars Probe 7 documentary
    * Tomorrow's Times - The 3rd Doctor
    * Commentary

The Sun Makers:

* TX trail
    * Running from the Tax Men - Making of... documentary
    * Doctor's Composer - Dudley Simpson

Day of the Daleks

* Special edition with whiz-bang effects and new Briggs Dalek voices
    * Blasting Past documentary
    * Blue Peter
    * Cheating Memory documentary
    * Nationwide: Win A Dalek
    * UNIT: Dating Conundrum
    *View From The Gallery
    * New FX - Making of...
    * 'Now and Then' trailer
    * Online teaser promo

It's worth noting that two weeks ago William Russell and Carol Ann Ford recorded a commentry for The Sensorites although it might be released next year look at the 2011 releases. I've also received word that restoration work on The Daemons has been completed so for that story the transfer at least has been completed for a release next year I think.

Edited on 01/23/2011 11:48am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

archangelwho

[2]Jan 28, 2011
    • level: 19

So much and yet still nothing on JNT. Sad.

dcpgaus

[3]Oct 15, 2011
    • level: 16
    I was watching some old Tom Baker episodes (in Australia they're running all the Dr. No. 4 episodes on cable). Even though the stories are good, Horror at Fang Rock, Invisible Enemy, Image of the Fendahl, the special effects are general poor. For example, the monsters in each story don't look that good and sometimes when shots are fired from a gun, they seem to miss the target by a fair margin but the guy usually falls down anyway! I was wondering whether any of the stories released to dvd/etc have any improved special effects/monster recreation?

pferreira86

[4]Oct 16, 2011

dcpgaus wrote:
    I was watching some old Tom Baker episodes (in Australia they're running all the Dr. No. 4 episodes on cable). Even though the stories are good, Horror at Fang Rock, Invisible Enemy, Image of the Fendahl, the special effects are general poor. For example, the monsters in each story don't look that good and sometimes when shots are fired from a gun, they seem to miss the target by a fair margin but the guy usually falls down anyway! I was wondering whether any of the stories released to dvd/etc have any improved special effects/monster recreation?
    The Invisible Enemy DVD does although unfortunately the nucleus still looks like as Tom Baker called it 'a prawn'. It does seem that this story had the most budget spent on it so it is a shame as you say some of the effects weren't satisfactory.

wildhoney66

[5]Feb 2, 2012
    • level: 13

some of the special FX. i find can be pretty good. depending on the episode or serial. for the time it was done in & the budget they had. but some of the Special FX are just plain TERRIBLE! that when they do the CGI shots in some sets, i think it BADLY needed it. that's where CGI actually helps out the show.

but what's also nice is that they haven't gone overboard on the FX either. & some of the costumes they used were also terrible as well. & some were pretty damn good too. i do wonder what were the bigger budget serials though.

pferreira86

[6]Feb 5, 2012

wildhoney66 wrote:

but what's also nice is that they haven't gone overboard on the FX either. & some of the costumes they used were also terrible as well. & some were pretty damn good too. i do wonder what were the bigger budget serials though.

Oh please don't tempt me into compiling a list but from what I understand The Invisible Enemy definitely had the biggest budget of the season. They run out of money for the season after that, not to mention the BBC industrial strike ruined filming at the BBC studios.

wildhoney66

[7]Feb 6, 2012

i was just curious that's all. also when you think the BBC stopped giving a shit about the show ? i don't think it was during the 70's. so it had to be at some point in the 80's. i just wonder when it was?

pferreira86

[8]Feb 26, 2012

wildhoney66 wrote:

i was just curious that's all. also when you think the BBC stopped giving a shit about the show ? i don't think it was during the 70's. so it had to be at some point in the 80's. i just wonder when it was?

Easy question: 1985 when Doctor Who was put on 'hiatus'. The first Colin Baker season got the BBC annoyed enough to pretty much cancel it.

archangelwho

[9]Mar 3, 2012

pferreira86 wrote:

wildhoney66 wrote:

Easy question: 1985 when Doctor Who was put on 'hiatus'. The first Colin Baker season got the BBC annoyed enough to pretty much cancel it.

The Colin Baker's years was the start of the end and the McCoy's Doctor the right Doctor to win themback or keep the fans that wasLeft. He wouldhave done better if he had followed Davison. I don't like calling out the actors because they can only work with what the productor and writers gives them. Yes, some like Tom Baker can take control andthe Doctor becomes his own but not all actors have that skill. Many did the productor and writers to give them what they need.

But to get back on topic do you think the newly found lost parts will be added to any of the up coming DVDs or is it too late?

wildhoney66

[10]Mar 4, 2012

yes i do. i'm guessing it is possible they re-master the lost in time series & put "Galaxy Four" on it. & for the 2nd Doctor's found episode, it's more possible if they just animate the lost ones & release it. i think that's what they are doing but i'm NOT 100% correct on that. & i know the actors are given what say. there was another question i wanted to ask but i honestly forget what it is. damn it!

archangelwho

[11]Mar 4, 2012

I wish that they would animate more of the lost episodes. I know it is a lot of work and the cost is high but I did enjuy the one that they did. Ohter who I know who saw it also enjoyed it.

pferreira86

[12]Mar 4, 2012

I believe Galaxy 4 is going to form part of a yet unannounced DVD set. Let's wait for further announcements.

wildhoney66

[13]Mar 4, 2012

you know where ya can ask? go to IMDB boards, there's this dude who's called "I don't know" i believe. & there's a thread there about this. i dunno who the guy is. but his info so far has been correct. from my own observation.

pferreira86

[14]Mar 11, 2012

wildhoney66 wrote:

you know where ya can ask? go to IMDB boards, there's this dude who's called "I don't know" i believe. & there's a thread there about this. i dunno who the guy is. but his info so far has been correct. from my own observation.

Yeah, IDon'tKnow4000 pretty good with DVD info. He's has almost monthly faqs with DVD producer Dan Hall in terms of upcoming Doctor Who stories to be released.

wildhoney66

[15]Mar 14, 2012

who is he anyways? i don't know he he if he's actually said who he actually was or not? but i am curious to be honest. do ya know who he is?

pferreira86

[16]Mar 18, 2012

wildhoney66 wrote:

who is he anyways? i don't know he he if he's actually said who he actually was or not? but i am curious to be honest. do ya know who he is?

I'm not sure. Why don't you ask him his name?

wildhoney66

[17]Mar 18, 2012

actually something tells me he is just one of those guys who likes to say behind the scenes. here's something interesting though. there was an actress that was from the show the original show that PM me about a month ago. she played a little girl in the serial with "Patrica Quinn"

ya know from "Rocky Horror" fame look up the serial she only did one serial in (1987) if that helps. anyways this woman played a little girl & she seemed pretty nice actually. she had to wear this dress for the serial that was well pretty revealing for a girl who was prolly about 8 years old when she played in the role. plus she said she in the serial at some point hid under the table & you can see her panties. which you know damn well they'd prolly be more careful if that was made today.

anyways i've been meaning to tell ya that i just plump forgot about it. as for the dvd's. people on IMDB are wanting the show on blu-ray. well ya know what? it really doesn't bother me if it's on dvd or blu-ray. they NEED to lower the prices on some of these serials to begin with. & since the dvd's. are prolly a LOT cheaper i think i can live with that ya know?

wildhoney66

[18]Mar 20, 2012

did you also check out Tvshows.on dvd.com ? cause they got the latest details on the next set coming out later this year. 'The Seeds of Death" i think & i forget the other one.

pferreira86

[19]Mar 25, 2012

wildhoney66 wrote:

did you also check out Tvshows.on dvd.com ? cause they got the latest details on the next set coming out later this year. 'The Seeds of Death" i think & i forget the other one.

Wow, Resurrection of the Daleks? You still haven't got that one, I wonder why they waited? Also just looked up Patricia Quinn. She was in Dragonfire which by Thor's Hammer I will eventually see!Wink

wildhoney66

[20]Mar 25, 2012

yes "Dragon Fire" i think that's the one that i was talking about. as for my dvd collection i own the whole series download wise. counting the recons. but i only own 13 or 14 of the serials. case wise it's 13 but if ya count serial wise meaning 'The Space Museum/The Chase" it's 14 serials.

i don't get out much to buy them ya see. & sometimes when i want to get certain ones my 'Best Buys" time to have it is gone. yes i can buy them online but most of the time i forget to do so. but at some point i plan on getting loads more. like the new updated version of 'The Three Doctors"

i want to get that. well all of them really i want to get, as i call them the good, the bad & the ugly. he he