Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

How did the companions do after Doctor Who?

  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [1]Jun 9, 2013
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,176

    We all have heard/read how hard it was for the actors who played the Doctor to get work after they left Doctor Who. But how about the companins. I know Peter Purves had so much trouble finding work that his agency dropped him just before he got the job with Blue Peter. Frazer Hines did well with Emmerdale. Elisabeth Sladen did well with the Sarah Jane Adventures but that was years later with the 1st spin-off not working. I have heard there was other spin-offs by Reel Time (sp) but I have never seen them and unsure how well they did. Did any of the other companions have trouble finding work?


    Edited on 06/11/2013 7:31pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pferreira86

    pferreira86

    [2]Jun 10, 2013
    • member since: 03/17/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,429

    Yeah and some like Janet Fielding have given up acting altogether. There were a number of ReelTime spin-off films released featuring Doctor Who actors as well as The Stranger films with Colin Baker.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [3]Jun 11, 2013
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,176

    pferreira86 wrote:


    Yeah and some like Janet Fielding have given up acting altogether. There were a number of ReelTime spin-off films released featuring Doctor Who actors as well as The Stranger films with Colin Baker.


    I have tried to find copies of the Reel Time spin off films in the US but no luck. I e-mailed both the BBC and Reel Time in hope of getting them released on DVD. Don't believe they will from the limited replys I got. Never heard of The Stranger films.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pferreira86

    pferreira86

    [4]Jun 16, 2013
    • member since: 03/17/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,429

    archangelwho wrote:


    pferreira86 wrote:


    Yeah and some like Janet Fielding have given up acting altogether. There were a number of ReelTime spin-off films released featuring Doctor Who actors as well as The Stranger films with Colin Baker.


    I have tried to find copies of the Reel Time spin off films in the US but no luck. I e-mailed both the BBC and Reel Time in hope of getting them released on DVD. Don't believe they will from the limited replys I got. Never heard of The Stranger films.


    Try ebay.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wildhoney66

    wildhoney66

    [5]Jun 22, 2013
    • member since: 05/17/08
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 841

    and also Peter Purves was fired too. so maybe that didn't help? apparently. i believe that and i forget her name right now at this late hour. but our Lovely Susan after she left the show was miscast as a teenager. even though she was in her 20's at the time the show started. in short she was typecast. i think she also gave up acting didn't she?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pferreira86

    pferreira86

    [6]Jun 23, 2013
    • member since: 03/17/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,429

    wildhoney66 wrote:


    and also Peter Purves was fired too. so maybe that didn't help? apparently. i believe that and i forget her name right now at this late hour. but our Lovely Susan after she left the show was miscast as a teenager. even though she was in her 20's at the time the show started. in short she was typecast. i think she also gave up acting didn't she?


    Carol Ann Ford didn't totally give up acting but yeah her career didn't take off that well after leaving the series. As far as I'm aware Peter Purves wasn't fired, just let go the same as everyone else. He'd been on the show for a while and the production team at the time wanted younger actors to appeal to a younger audience that couldn't identify with. The same goes for Jackie Lane.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [7]Jun 23, 2013
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,176

    From the impression he gives on the DVD commentary it sound that it was because the production tean was changing companins and nothing more even though he wanted to stay.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [8]Jun 23, 2013
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,176

    The cast of the 2005 Doctor Who seem to be doing much better with their after Who work. Eccleston had Heroes and Shadow Line, Tennant has been very busy, Borrowman had Torchwood, Agyeman is staying busy and Piper The Secret Diary of a Call Girl had a good run. Have not had time to check on the others.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of steamheaduk

    steamheaduk

    [9]Sep 3, 2013
    • member since: 07/04/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 4,239

    Type-casting is a convenient myth that actors like to fall back on as a crutch to explain "what happened to them". The myth is that once they become "famous" for a particular part, they never get offered , or considered for, anything else.


    The truth is rather different...


    First, landing a high profile TV part is difficult in the first place, few actors are REALLY remembered for landing more than one long term role, a) because they are rare (in half a century only about a dozen actors get to play The Doctor) and b) Most people have a "peak part", something that really suits them.


    But up until you get a high profile part, you are a jobbing actor, your go after as many roles as you can, to keep the bills paid. It is quite rare for a producer/director to seek you out for a part unless they've seen you before.


    Then you get the high profile part, and run with it for a while, keeping the bills paid. But when you leave, a lot of people know who you are, and what you can do, so inevitably you get offered lots of similar parts (this is the "type casting" part of the myth). The myth part is that this stops them getting another job. Yes many of the things they get offered are similar parts, and most actors don't want to do the same thing (part of the joy of acting is "being different people"), BUT before you got the high profile role you weren't being offered ANY roles of ANY type and had to go out and work for them. But having BEEN high profile, there is sometimes an expectation that the roles should now "come to you", and they've forgotten the "jobbing actor" part of going out and looking for roles and auditioning again. In some case it's almost like auditioning is beneath them.


    But just because you've had one high profile role, doesn't mean every one that follows will also be in the same league. It very rarely is, and it's not because you got known for one particular part, it's just that you were damn lucky to get that one particular part, and you have to be damn lucky to get another one. Matt Smith didn't get the part of Doctor Who because of what he'd done before, Moffatt wasn't even looking for a young actor, he got the part because ON THE DAY he pushed the right buttons at the audition. Peter Capaldi was considered as an option for 11, but "wasn't quite right" at the time, this time he was the only choice, and certainly not because of the character he's most famous for.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [10]May 31, 2014
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,176

    On the audio commentary of "The Moonbase" Ms. Wills said that Michael Craze never worked again after Doctor Who and was bitter about it to the day he die. Sad. I jst don't understand. He seem to have had everything needed to be a long time working actor and I have never heard and read anything negative about him.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of cybercontroller

    cybercontroller

    [11]Jun 5, 2014
    • member since: 09/04/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 33

    The companions of Classic Who all seemed to have had trouble finding success again. Was it because Dr. Who was looked down on by producers who made "serious" work? There was a prejudice against sci-fi shows as being junk & for kids only. Certainly many of them maintained income by being guests at many Dr. Who conventions in the UK & US. Some seem bitter about their lack of work after leaving the show (Fielding, O'Brien, etc.). The new companions seem to be in far better shape with Gillen in 2 major films this year.



    Stuff I recall with companions:



    Peter Purves on Blue Peter


    Lalla Ward in Vampire Circus (love those Hammer films)


    Deborah Watling in Danger UXB (quite a sexy role)


    Louise Jameson in The Omega Factor (short lived sci-fi show, nice to see her being smart)


    a very young Frazer Hines was in X: The Unknown


    William Russell had small roles in The Great Escape and Superman: The Movie


    Janet Fielding was in an episode of Hammer House of Horrors


    John Lesson was in 2 episodes of Blake's 7


    Carol Anne Ford was in Day of the Triffids (1963)


    a young Sarah Sutton was Alice in Alice Through the Looking Glass


    Richard Franklin was also in a Blake's 7 and in The Saint


    Anneke Wills was on 2 episodes of The Avengers


    Caroline John was in Love Actually (really?)


    Jackie Lane played a hippie in an episode of Get Smart (???)





    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of steamheaduk

    steamheaduk

    [12]Jun 5, 2014
    • member since: 07/04/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 4,239

    One or two didn't do too bad -


    Frazer Hines actually became more of a name after Doctor in the role of Joe Sugden which he played from 1972 - 1994, a popular Drama series set in a farming town, which sadly now has deteriorated into a soap, but wasn't always considered that way.


    Louise Jameson did really well, after Omega Factor (now revived by Big Finish) she had a major role in the critically acclaimed Tenko, spent five years as a regular in the crime series Bergerac, three year on the BBC prime time soap Eastenders amongst many other one off or recurring roles.


    And we do tend to think of acting success as being restricted to TV/Movie roles, but Bonnie Langford was a stage variety act (singing/dancing/tap) as well as an actress, and still gets good parts in the theatre.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [13]Jun 5, 2014
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,176

    cybercontroller wrote:


    The companions of Classic Who all seemed to have had trouble finding success again. Was it because Dr. Who was looked down on by producers who made "serious" work? There was a prejudice against sci-fi shows as being junk & for kids only. Certainly many of them maintained income by being guests at many Dr. Who conventions in the UK & US. Some seem bitter about their lack of work after leaving the show (Fielding, O'Brien, etc.). The new companions seem to be in far better shape with Gillen in 2 major films this year.



    Stuff I recall with companions:



    Peter Purves on Blue Peter


    Lalla Ward in Vampire Circus (love those Hammer films)


    Deborah Watling in Danger UXB (quite a sexy role)


    Louise Jameson in The Omega Factor (short lived sci-fi show, nice to see her being smart)


    a very young Frazer Hines was in X: The Unknown


    William Russell had small roles in The Great Escape and Superman: The Movie


    Janet Fielding was in an episode of Hammer House of Horrors


    John Lesson was in 2 episodes of Blake's 7


    Carol Anne Ford was in Day of the Triffids (1963)


    a young Sarah Sutton was Alice in Alice Through the Looking Glass


    Richard Franklin was also in a Blake's 7 and in The Saint


    Anneke Wills was on 2 episodes of The Avengers


    Caroline John was in Love Actually (really?)


    Jackie Lane played a hippie in an episode of Get Smart (???)



    Welcome to the Doctor Who 1963 page. Now that the 1963 run on DVD is coming to an end the BBC will need a replacement product. May a DVD box set with your list and others roles the actors who played ther campanions and the Doctors are in. Many of these I would bet fans in the US have never seen. There seem to be little chance of us getting the Reel Time stories.




    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dcpgaus

    dcpgaus

    [14]Jun 6, 2014
    • member since: 04/26/06
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 270
    Great to hear that some of the companions did other things on tv/movie. Now I am going to dig out some old movies (Day of the Triffids) and try to see Carol Ann. And Vampire Circus - what was that all about ?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [15]Jun 6, 2014
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,176

    dcpgaus wrote:
    Great to hear that some of the companions did other things on tv/movie. Now I am going to dig out some old movies (Day of the Triffids) and try to see Carol Ann. And Vampire Circus - what was that all about ?


    I did not find Carol Ann Ford listed in the cast but I did find a young Lalla Ward who played Helga. The DVD was not release in region 1. The reviews goes from the greatest vampie movie ever, ahead of its time to the worst vampie movie ever made. On IBM site Ms. Ward is listed under the full cast and not one of the headline stars. Ms. Ford is listed under the full cast drop down in The Day of the Triffids. THe DVD was release in the US put the reviews were that the picure was gray and out of focus.

    Edited on 06/06/2014 5:07pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pferreira86

    pferreira86

    [16]Jun 8, 2014
    • member since: 03/17/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,429

    archangelwho wrote:


    dcpgaus wrote:
    Great to hear that some of the companions did other things on tv/movie. Now I am going to dig out some old movies (Day of the Triffids) and try to see Carol Ann. And Vampire Circus - what was that all about ?


    I did not find Carol Ann Ford listed in the cast but I did find a young Lalla Ward who played Helga. The DVD was not release in region 1. The reviews goes from the greatest vampie movie ever, ahead of its time to the worst vampie movie ever made. On IBM site Ms. Ward is listed under the full cast and not one of the headline stars. Ms. Ford is listed under the full cast drop down in The Day of the Triffids. THe DVD was release in the US put the reviews were that the picure was gray and out of focus.


    Michael Craze did the Reel Time Myth Makers documentary back in the early 1990s so he can't have been that bitter about what Doctor Who left him with.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [17]Jun 8, 2014
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,176

    [/QUOTE]Michael Craze did the Reel Time Myth Makers documentary back in the early 1990s so he can't have been that bitter about what Doctor Who left him with.


    [/QUOTE] I'm just going on what Anneke Wills and Frazer Hines are saying the the DVDs and audio extras. And Craze does not seem to be the only one. A lot like Max Bear has been for so long.I guess I have never been there but as I tell my co-workers when it comes time for me to go and will my blow my head off. My job does not define me. It is only a small part of who I'm.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.