Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

Scream of Shalka on DVD

archangelwho

[1]Jul 11, 2013
    • level: 18

BBC America Shop has Scream of Shalka on DVD. This one I have never seen and know that many do not view it as cannon and most do not count Grant as one of the Doctors. Myfirst question is has there ever been an official statement put out about this story or does it fall along the same line as the BBC books? Was it any good? At the age of my computer I don't have much luck watching videos on it. Same with sites like Hulu.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

steamheaduk

[2]Jul 12, 2013
    • level: 19

At the time it was released this WAS the future of Doctor Who. The BBC publically announced Richard E Grant as the 9th Doctor and this would be the way Doctor Who would continue. So it definitely WAS canon at the time.

Sadly this was still in the time that 99% of users were on slow dial-up, so as a delivery medium the internet Who didn't catch on, and no more were made.

Since then Grant's 9th Doctor has been Retconned out of existence.

It's a real shame the Grant got cast as The Great Intelligence for season 7, given Eccleston's last minute pull out of the 50th Anniversary it would have been so much better to reveal Grant as the forgotten Doctor than Hurt (nothing against Hurt, it would just have instantly made sense to long term fans).

Edited on 07/12/2013 3:03am
    Edited 2 total times.

archangelwho

[3]Jul 12, 2013
    • level: 18

steamheaduk wrote:

At the time it was released this WAS the future of Doctor Who. The BBC publically announced Richard E Grant as the 9th Doctor and this would be the way Doctor Who would continue. So it definitely WAS canon at the time.

Sadly this was still in the time that 99% of users were on slow dial-up, so as a delivery medium the internet Who didn't catch on, and no more were made.

Since then Grant's 9th Doctor has been Retconned out of existence.

It's a real shame the Grant got cast as The Great Intelligence for season 7, given Eccleston's last minute pull out of the 50th Anniversary it would have been so much better to reveal Grant as the forgotten Doctor than Hurt (nothing against Hurt, it would just have instantly made sense to long term fans).

I guess because I have never seen it I did not think about it but if there was going to be a forgotten Doctor it should have been Grant and not Hunt. Winder why those greater than us did not think of it? Would it be worht buying?

Edited on 07/12/2013 5:44am

pferreira86

[4]Aug 5, 2013
    • level: 17

steamheaduk wrote:

Maybe in the 50th anniversary special Hurt is revealed to be none other than Grant, the Great Intelligence who was the Doctor but then changed his appearance into Hurt! Or...maybe not.Sealed