TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

Season 6B

archangelwho

[1]Jun 27, 2014
    • level: 18

I consider myself as a great fan of Docotr Who but there are times when I wonder where are the lines between being a fan, being a greek & being a nerd or cassual fan, dedicated fan & hardcore fan. I have alreadylearned a great deal about Doctor Who from Alan Kistler's book "Doctor Who Celebrating FiftyYears A History" and I'm only on page 129 (Tom Baker's years). Though out the book there are these light gray pages that gives a more in-depth look at someone(S), something(S) or some event(S) related to Doctor Who. One of there deals with what is called "Season 6B". "Season 6B" deals with what fans/writers felt needed to happen to link the story "War Games" with the story "THe Two Doctors". Reading this part took me back to a time in the mid 90s at the gym. It was one of my lift days and as I was working out there were two guys in their mid to late teensworking out around me. They were talking about Star Trek. Now I have always viewed myself as a big Star Trek fan, not as big as Doctor Who but close, and was impressed that two so young would be discussing Star Trek so I decided to listen in. Now remember this was at a gym, they were working out around me, I was there before them and and my work out continued after they left so I was not eases dropping. Not only were they discussing sets, make-up, lighting, costumes, etc... they knew the names of the people who had done the sets, make-up, lighting, costumes, etc... and they knew many of these people non Star Trek work. It made me rethink what is a fan and the type of fan I am. "Season 6B" has done the same thing. The book lists some of the concerns. Concerns that was so great that some felt the need, no mission to write stories to address the concerns. As Mr. Kistler stated "Fanon had become canon". Now if any of you have read other posts by me about the role of fans in determining what is and is nt canon you would think that I would think this was a good thing. To be honest I'm unsure how I feel. I were wanting to deal with the books and spill-offs already outthere not create linkages or corrections though that would be fun also. One thing this show is that I was correct thatfans can get together and determine canon. Now many of you outside the U.S.A. need to understand that when us in the U.S.A. saw "THe Two Doctor" it was only the second time for many of us and the first time for some ever seeing Troughton. I had seen him in "Five Doctors" and gotten a few books about the show. In fact until I got the books I had thought that Perwee had replaced Tom Baker based on how the ETVstation had run the stories. Even with my limited knowledge of the show I was able to picked p some of the concerns addressed in the book but just over looked them as x numbers of years have passed, sets get lost or rid of type of things. The sections starts with "Many fans worship continuity." Many fans are OCD also. I want continuity as much as most fans do but I also understand that the world does not work that way.In "THe Five Doctors" and "The Two Doctors" the Second Doctor was able to navigate the TARDIS. I knew the Doctor loac of control over the TARDIS was a problem for ONe & Two I just believed that in both "THe Five Doctor" & "The Two Doctors" the TARDIS was being controlled from Gallifrey. The Doctor had already been separeded from Jamie & Zoe. I figured some type of time loop that was created by the CIA and only Time Lords are aware of. Humans call it deja vu.The control room did not look the same. We learned later that there is more than one control room. Jamie did not know about the Time Lords until "War Games". Time loop! ( The sonic screwdriver of answers.) The Third Doctor had equipment that the First & Second Doctors didn't. Well we don't know for sure. We know that the Doctor is forgrtful, does not know what is in the TARDIS and misplace items. It is nice to know thatthe Gallifreyan has a Freedom of Information act that lead to the discovery of the cover up. It seems that the version we saw in "War Games" was the offical version put out by the Celestial Intervention Agency, (CIA), to cover up the use of the Doctor by the CIA on one or more tasks. Troughton is noticeably older. Well,yes he was older. Also there was the stress of working for the CIA. The age did not bother me just as it would not have for the 50th annerviseary stories. Not only did Troughton look older but so did Jamie. Jamie also had gained some weight. In the book Kistler reports that the BBC has adopted "Season 6B' in the official records of the classic Doctor Who. I went to http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/ and could not find anything on "Season 6B" until I did a search and wassent to this page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/episodeguide/season6b.shtml It is anice write up. I will try to get a copy of the novel "World Game" by Terrance Dicks which links the two stories.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

archangelwho

[2]Jul 11, 2014

The more I think about this I wonder how many more seasons could use an official BBC"B" to tie up lose ends? The frist that comes to mind is #26. I know that there has been some books about what happen next with Ace but nothing I know of that the BBC have placed their stamp on. Also what happen to the Master? Did the Doctor have anything top do with what happen?

pferreira86

[3]Jul 20, 2014
    • level: 17

The Master was taken back to Gallifrey at the beginning the 1996 TV movie although as you know things didn't go according to plan. Speaking of the TV movie I got to have my picture taken with Paul McGann at last week's London Film & Comic Con. He seemed like a nice friendly person.

archangelwho

[4]Jul 21, 2014

pferreira86 wrote:

The Master was taken back to Gallifrey at the beginning the 1996 TV movie although as you know things didn't go according to plan. Speaking of the TV movie I got to have my picture taken with Paul McGann at last week's London Film & Comic Con. He seemed like a nice friendly person.

I wish that some of these fan conventions wpould come close enough to my home where I could attend. My goddaughter and niece want to attend one as bad as I do but a teacher with 3 kids has very limited extra funds.

I got the Dick's book "War Worlds" and hope to start it soon. What do you think about "Season 6B" over all?

Edited on 07/21/2014 2:06pm

pferreira86

[5]Jul 27, 2014

archangelwho wrote:

pferreira86 wrote:

I got the Dick's book "War Worlds" and hope to start it soon. What do you think about "Season 6B" over all?

The only taste of it we get is The Two Doctors. Is that correct?

archangelwho

[6]Aug 3, 2014

pferreira86 wrote:

archangelwho wrote:

pferreira86 wrote:

The only taste of it we get is The Two Doctors. Is that correct?

The book War Worlds, a few audio dramas and other books and other fan works. Season 6B takes us from War Games to the Two Doctors.

pferreira86

[7]Aug 10, 2014

Cool, I might check them out.

archangelwho

[8]Aug 10, 2014

I got War World for my birhtday. I read 3 books at a time, 1 gym bag, one bed stand and one that I corry with me. The problem is with the kids, my wife, church, work I don't get much free tme to read. War World is paper back so it will be a bed stand book. I just started a book that my preacher lent me to read so I don't know when I will get around to reading it. Kistler's book list some of the others. Now that Im into the audio dramas I will try to get some of them. Iwas sure that I had all of the TV DVDs but I cannot find 2 Tom Bakers'. So either I did have them all or I misplaced them. I hate to oder them just to find them but I'm runnung out of places to look.