Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

Some not very good news...

pferreira86

[1]Mar 31, 2013
    • level: 17

It seems anyone waiting to see a future Doctor Who DVD documentary chronicling the amazing life of producer John Nathan-Turner maybe disappointed by this news:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/doctor-who-sex-scandal-john-1785325

Here's the link to the book review:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/mar/22/jnt-scandalous-doctor-who-review

Oh dear...it seems no middle aged man who worked for the BBC during the 70s and 80s is safe.Foot in mouth

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wildhoney66

[2]Mar 31, 2013
    • level: 13

oh the sex scandel or something like that? honestly i never thought they would do a bio on the guy. cause most people HATE what he did to the show either way. yes he i'm sure did some great stories but he also no did some bad ones as well. and i just can't see someone do a bio film on him. the show itself yes i can see that.

but nobody knows if any of that is true anyways. i didn't read your link but i did hear about it on a doctor who website. plus the IMDb page

archangelwho

[3]Apr 1, 2013
    • level: 18

Yes as a producter he made some very poor/bad decision and I was never a fan but the hate some had for him I always felt was a little much for someone who was a TV producter. Now if this story turns out to be true and let's hold judgement until the facts are out then there is reason for disliking the man but base on what he did per these crimes and not just because he has bad taste in coats.

wildhoney66

[4]Apr 1, 2013

oh i agree 100% but let's face it there's a LOT of hatred toward JNT weather he's gay or straight or if that sex scandal is actually true, it will no doubt make people hate him even more. but even if it isn't true people will still hate him regardless.

archangelwho

[5]Apr 5, 2013

I don't hold much hope for the fans who disliked JNT or the press but I hope the cast and crew will stay out of this and let the investigation happen. If they know something based on facts they should tell it to the investigators. I just hope noone use it as a chance to settle old scores or add to it more than there. It is possible that JNT is not guity.

wildhoney66

[6]Apr 5, 2013

that pretty much my point man. so i agree with you 100% off topic a watched "Survival' last night before bed. i own that one original and you know what? i went in expecting it to be pure crap. and i freaking loved it! only complaint? well the cheetah costumes looked far too cheap looking. that's it. but the budget no doubt was pretty low by than.

archangelwho

[7]Apr 5, 2013

I watched Survival only once and left unsure what had happen or what it was about, Have never gotten around to watch it again. I guess I need to take the time.

wildhoney66

[8]Apr 5, 2013

well i think it was pretty much this from what i gather. Ace and the doctor come home well her home Earth for a visit. and strange things happen as they do. and the cats i guess were the cheeatah's form to show up on earth? or maybe it was through the master or something?

that part confused me to be honest. having ace and the doctor go to that planet where you can turn into a cheetah really wasn't explained that well. but my guess is that maybe it was the air, or maybe the water that was on there cause after Ace gave some of that strange water to the cheetah not long after she fought to stay human. and if you look up on wikipedia if this is true the writer of the story

said that there was suppose to be a lesbian relationship of some sorts but since they put those terribble cheetah costumes on the actors that was lost. it really didn't explain that well why the master was there or how he got there. so yes it had plenty of faults. but given it was the last serial of the show the budget wasn't as high as it used to be either. but it was a fun serial though. it's not going to be one of my favorite serials either. but i went in watching it with VERY low expectations mind you and the fact that i enjoyed it really honestly shocked me to be honest man. that was a really pleasant surprise.

wildhoney66

[9]Apr 5, 2013

sorry i forgot to add, i think that about sums it up. i may have forgot some things but that's close enough for now. i haven't watched the deleted scenes yet well all of them so i can't give a better answer.

pferreira86

[10]Apr 7, 2013

archangelwho wrote:

I don't hold much hope for the fans who disliked JNT or the press but I hope the cast and crew will stay out of this and let the investigation happen. If they know something based on facts they should tell it to the investigators. I just hope noone use it as a chance to settle old scores or add to it more than there. It is possible that JNT is not guity.

There are fans and those who worked with him that would like to settle old scores so this would be a win for them.

wildhoney66

[11]Apr 7, 2013

i agree 100% those people who hate the show also forget that whlie yes he did give us i'm sure a LOT of bad serials he also gave us no doubt a LOT of good ones as well. people in short just take it to damn far that's all i don't really think about it honestly.

pferreira86

[12]Apr 14, 2013

The problem with JNT is that he made himself to well known among the fans and let them know his intentions too much. It turned into a love/hate relationship which turned more towards hate the longer he stayed as producer.

wildhoney66

[13]Apr 14, 2013

i agree much like the same people who are running the show NOW! i don't hate them like many people SEEM TO do. when i watch the current version of the show i don't expect it to be like the original show at all. when i 1st started watching the original show i quickly noticed how different the show is to the current version. and though it took me awhile to get used to it don't get me wrong.

it didn't bother me at all.

archangelwho

[14]May 15, 2013

Any update on how things are going with the inevestigation?

wildhoney66

[15]May 16, 2013

good question have they found any proof of this?

pferreira86

[16]May 19, 2013

I don't think an investigation has has been carried out. The BBC and police are only doing investigations into this sort of thing based on a number of complaints, not one individual writer. I'm assuming the writer of the book decided to cash in on the whole Jimmy Saville investigation by releasing the book while all these investigations by the police have been going on. Dragging JNT through the mud was obviously just a sly joke on part of the writer and it doesn't take up the whole book but it's still rather cruel in my opinion just to sell more copies of the book.

archangelwho

[17]May 19, 2013

pferreira86 wrote:

I don't think an investigation has has been carried out. The BBC and police are only doing investigations into this sort of thing based on a number of complaints, not one individual writer. I'm assuming the writer of the book decided to cash in on the whole Jimmy Saville investigation by releasing the book while all these investigations by the police have been going on. Dragging JNT through the mud was obviously just a sly joke on part of the writer and it doesn't take up the whole book but it's still rather cruel in my opinion just to sell more copies of the book.

So the writer of the book is the only one who has named JNT? By sly joke to you mean that it did not happen?

wildhoney66

[18]May 19, 2013

i'm curious too. was it just a jibe to sell more books?

pferreira86

[19]May 27, 2013

archangelwho wrote:

pferreira86 wrote:

So the writer of the book is the only one who has named JNT? By sly joke to you mean that it did not happen?

Apologies for the confusion, the writer is mentioning what he saw happen but he's not making out he was abused by JNT. The writer simply refers to JNT sexual giddiness in a jokey manner. Unfortunately with the Saville scandal with the book being released newspapers like The Mirror picked up on this as refer to JNT as 'Slime Lord' on their front cover.

wildhoney66

[20]May 28, 2013

ah now i understand he was joking about it and the newspapers took it as he was being serious so it went ape shit over the globe cause he said something in a jokinlgly manner. now i understand. am i right?