Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

Some not very good news...

archangelwho

[21]May 29, 2013
    • level: 18

Which is worst the press in the UK or USA? Both seem to have stop reporting the news and have started making it up.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pferreira86

[22]Jun 2, 2013
    • level: 17

wildhoney66 wrote:

ah now i understand he was joking about it and the newspapers took it as he was being serious so it went ape shit over the globe cause he said something in a jokinlgly manner. now i understand. am i right?

Well because the writer released the book during the Saville scandal the press picked up JNT naughty behaviour and tried to group him with all the other presenters being investigated. Read the original links again and you can see from the extract that the writer could have meant for his remarks to go either way. So The Mirror picked this up and then call JNT 'Slime Lord', rather stupidly including an image of Colin Baker on the front cover of the paper.

wildhoney66

[23]Jun 4, 2013
    • level: 13

i think it's a bit of both here in america and my guess the UK were they report bs news. and prolly other countries as well. either way you look at it, it got attention for his book i guess.

archangelwho

[24]Jun 5, 2013

But if "we" did read the papers, watch the shows or buy the books this type of thing would stop. But we do, they make lots of money so it continues. So we are more to blame. We are thebuyers and they are just giving us what we want no matter how loudly we say we don't.

Edited on 06/05/2013 9:21am

pferreira86

[25]Jun 10, 2013

archangelwho wrote:

But if "we" did read the papers, watch the shows or buy the books this type of thing would stop. But we do, they make lots of money so it continues. So we are more to blame. We are thebuyers and they are just giving us what we want no matter how loudly we say we don't.

The Internet is also responsible for spreading a lot of hate and false information.

archangelwho

[26]Jun 11, 2013

pferreira86 wrote:

archangelwho wrote:

The Internet is also responsible for spreading a lot of hate and false information.

So true. These days anybody can have a blog and even call themself a reporter. It is really bad in the sport world.

Edited on 06/11/2013 1:36pm

wildhoney66

[27]Jun 16, 2013

i can't stand sports but no doubt that's true. but than the USA also is a country that refuses to make more films that are well original idea's. and so we get 3,000000000000000 remakes. and it's no help that people are morons who go and see this bad films and they therefore are so used to them that when they see a NEW idea they don't know how to handle it and the few movies that are original ideas 9 times out of 10 flop because of that. ones based off books are a bit different it can go either way.

my point is people are idiots. NOT everyone is THANK GOD and no i'm NOT calling anyone here that but you get what i'm saying. i dunno about other countries but the USA also gives fame to killers who kill just to get fame. and instead of saying no to the killers ALL the newspapers and news on the tv feed into that and than he gets fame for killing or raping etc.. like that idiot here in ohio who had those 3 girls held hostage for 10 years. he's no doubt going to be famous for it. don't get me wrong i guess he had a LOT of friends who believed he was a good guy and where stunned on what he did. so it can go either way on if it was newsworthy or not. but sometimes it is newsworthy and sometimes it's well NOT! if that makes any kind of sense?

pferreira86

[28]Jun 16, 2013

Interestingly some days ago I saw BBC Newsnight which had a short documentary on 'was Doctor Who rubbish in the 80s?' It was quite a good article they did and Richard Marson who wrote the JNT was one of the talking heads on it. He came across as an okay person with nothing bad to say about JNT. Here's the link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22628484

Edited on 06/16/2013 2:48pm

wildhoney66

[29]Jul 6, 2013

i think with JNT there are people who hate him with a passion and there's that really don't mind him. i think it depends on the season maybe? i dunno? sometimes when a show is on for so long they tend to run out of ideas. from my observation he starts out strong, than that lasts up to the Colin Baker era. maybe? some don't mind him and hate a lot of the serials and some like at least some of them. than in the McCoy Era

it also had love the serial or hate it. i dunno this is just all a guess. Law & Order the home show is a show that was on for 20 years. and though i haven't seen all 20 seasons in a row. i didn't start watching it until like near the end of the 14th season. so i'm going only by those seasons that i did see in order. that show had it's ups and downs as well. there were some characters that were a miss for me. like when Dennis Farina was on the show. great actor and a favorite of mine. but the character was a prick.

and by the end of the shows run i loved the last 2 or 3 seasons. the same can be said about the 80's doctor who's seasons as well. no matter who was running it by that time. JNT you had your hits and misses. the say the same things about the guys that run the current WHO as well.

some love it and some hate it. so you aren't going to win either way. ya know?

pferreira86

[30]Jul 7, 2013

My opinion is that the original series was great in it's last two years.

wildhoney66

[31]Jul 7, 2013

i like that reasoning. see i haven't seen that much of the show past (197 so i'm not about to say hey that era is terrible. there are seasons in the 60's that i don't care for either. any season has some weak serials regardless who is running the show at the time. that's my way of looking at it. but i do Love McCoy as the doctor though. and it was a happy surprise when i saw that he was in the new Hobbit film when i went and saw in Jan. i had NO idea he was even going to be in it! and it took me funny enough ages to figure out where i knew that voice.

cause he had that beard on him. but i did at some point figure it out.

archangelwho

[32]Jul 8, 2013

wildhoney66 wrote:

i like that reasoning. see i haven't seen that much of the show past (197 so i'm not about to say hey that era is terrible. there are seasons in the 60's that i don't care for either. any season has some weak serials regardless who is running the show at the time. that's my way of looking at it. but i do Love McCoy as the doctor though. and it was a happy surprise when i saw that he was in the new Hobbit film when i went and saw in Jan. i had NO idea he was even going to be in it! and it took me funny enough ages to figure out where i knew that voice.

cause he had that beard on him. but i did at some point figure it out.

McCoy looked good in the Hobbit. I think he could play the Doctor one more time.

wildhoney66

[33]Jul 8, 2013

so do i too.

pferreira86

[34]Aug 5, 2013

So do I as well.Laughing