Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

Supporters of Colin Baker #6 Doctor

archangelwho

[1]Apr 15, 2007
    • level: 18

I must start by stating that I do have limited knowledge of the Colin Baker's years. I saw the first 2 or 3 episodes of the first C. Baker's story. Then Doctor Who went off the air in my area. I was not impress and for years believed all of the bad press on C. Baker. Even now the only others I have seen are "Vengeance On Varos", "The Mark of the Rani", "Revelation of the Daleks", "The Two Doctors" and "The Colin Baker's Years. I also have the audio drama 'The Sirens of Time". If you have not ever listen to the audio dramas  or the missing stories on CD I highly recommend them. Plus I have read all I can from Colin Baker and others from that time.

I just don't understand the attacks on C. Baker. And yes lots of what I have read are attacks as he alone killed Doctor Who. No he will not find himself in most fans' top 3. He may be #10 on most lists, but someone has to be #10 unless you have a tie somewhere. But I'm not sure how much is C. Baker's fault and how much is John Nathana-Turner, the writers and/or the BBC lack of money and support. It seem that the BBC was ready to drop Doctor Who long before C. Baker came along. Kind of how CBS did Star Trek. You must understand that the gap between a low budget show and a fully funded show in the 60s was much smaller than in the 80s. Also the crews in the 60s was higher skilled at working with less than crews in the 80s who depend more on computers than their minds and hands.

Also many fans were still looking for a Tom Baker. If Peter Davison had stayed longer we all may be looking at C. Baker more positively. Davison did not give us enough time to get over the T. Baker hangover.

If there are others, or anyone, out there who feels that Colin Baker is being criticized too greatly please let me know. Sometime I feel that I am alone in defending him.  

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Hal_10000

[2]Apr 15, 2007
    • level: 38
    You're not alone. I think Baker was a victim of bad writing, worse script editing and some dumb decisions at the top. Someone decided to dress him in a ridiculous outfit and have the first half of each episode be loud annoying arguments with Peri. And his first episode was one of the worst episodes of Doctor Who.

There are times when you can see Baker trying to break out and act the part. He's much better in the Trial of a Timelord for example, where they tone down his abrasiveness and underlay it with affection and compassion, two things badly missing in his first season. Or watch how he treats the dying mutant in Revalation of the Daleks, for example. And what I've read of the lost season 23 (the one Michael Grade cancelled) would have developed his character better. I have not heard the audio plays, but understand that his character is far better developed than it was in the 11 tv serials.

I can remember his enthusiasm when he took the role and how optimistic a lot of people were. It's a pity it went nowhere.

princessFirefly

[3]Apr 17, 2007
    • level: 4
    He’s my lease favourite doctor, but he’s got the most memorable outfit. i think he got a few bad episodes that's why he’s not as popular!

steamheaduk

[4]Apr 18, 2007
    • level: 19

Of the Jonathan Nathan Turner period he's my favourite, but that's not saying much, I hated what JNT did to the show in his period as the producer.  By the time Colin joined the series had generally descended into an almost pantomime style of acting, with very few episodes had the "real world" feel as they usually had some over the top character or costumery in it.  Attack of the Cybermen looked like a promising start, but it didn't last.  The Two Doctors almost managed, but not quite.

I got to meet Colin the year after he left the role and he told me he hated that costume.  He's a great guy and very larger than life in person.

tinytoonscrazy

[6]Apr 22, 2007
    • level: 7
    I got a few favs of his NMark of the Rani , Attack of the cyberman . evlation of the daleks , tow doctors and dare I say trial of OF A TIME LORD

cpzone

[7]Jun 5, 2007

I was ALWAYS a fan of Doctor #6.

As a kid I (foolishly) resented Peter Davison's portrayal because he replaced Tom Baker. When Davison was replaced by a much more vibrant and eccentric Doctor, I embraced the new persona.

His childish banter with Peri, his distinctive multicoloured outfit and best of all his arrogance and pride helped me to remember why I loved the character so much. 

Back then I dismissed Davison as a pretty boy, "nice" Doctor with virtually no mystery or humour about him. Although I now realize that I was mistaken about the 5th Doctor, I can thank that stubbornness with helping me appreciate Colin Baker's Doctor even more.

C.

dani_n

[8]Apr 11, 2008
    I never saw why people were so angry at the sixth doctor. I could see that his outfit was loud and that he could be clownishly abrasive, but it wasn't that bad! I think Colin Baker is larger than life in general, certainly in this role and in his (incredibly articulate) writing. It seems pretty clear to me that the early annoying stuff was due to a difficult regeneration and he really grew on me with time. I do think based on things Baker has written about it that he has some of the same funny arrogance that he brought to the role; he was determined at one point to be the longest-running Doctor, and we all saw how that went!

steamheaduk

[9]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 19

Seventh place out of ten isn't too bad though I do find it wierd to think that Sylvester did three full series compared to Colin's 2 and one story, yet Colin managed two more full episodes worth of screen time due to the slaughtering of season length at season 23.

Folks that didn't like his on screen personna should try the Big Finish Audio's, you can't see the damn coat in those

I have to say I never cared for Peter Davison on screen, to me he just never seem to BE the Doctor, I don't know why he just never captured it for me. And yet on the Big Finish Audio's he's as much the Doctor as Colin, Sylvester or Paul to me.

I'd love to put my finger on why that is, whether it's he's matured as an actor, whether it's because I can't see him or just the general standard of writing or production is better, but he definitely nails the Doctor on audio.

TheOldBill

[10]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 94

History has been kind to Colin Baker. His undoubted enthusiasm for the role, and the casting of Grade as the villain, have helped us see him as a dupe saddled with a ridiculous outfit, scripts that called for him to be generally obnoxious, unkind scheduling, and the generally badly-conceived Trial. The BF adventures are fine, although my favourite sixth Doctor story is the novel, Spiral Scratch, which finally explains that regenration.

I have never been able to accept Davison as the Doctor: he was hopelessly miscast, and too well-known as Tristan Farnon. I haven't listened to his BF adventures, nor read any fifth Doctor novels.

belial_77

[11]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 17
    In my recent rewatching of Pertwee and up, I've just gotten to C Baker's era... and thus far, he is my least fav Doctor... like many are sayin, I doubt its really his fault tho... his sinister-ish mad-hatter thing just doesn't click w/ me as being the doctor... I know how he was wanting to progress the character, and the reasoning behind it... but I think the writers not progressing the character fast enough as well as no strong hints of what they were planning caused many to switch off and generally lose interest in the franchise... so in that way, the 6th doctor WAS the beginning of the end as some have said... but not C Barker's fault, imo.

idontknow4000

[12]Apr 15, 2008
    • level: 3
    He is my favourite Doctor, not only is he a fantastic Doctor but I think the writing in his era was the best, season 22 is easily the greatest season in Who history. A great actor, a great Doctor and a very nice man.

dani_n

[13]Apr 19, 2008

I stubbornly maintain that he can't have been the beginning of the end if the show is still going

I could see why Davison would work better in audio. He was just so beige. Big beige face, big beige coat, long beige hair. It detracted from what he was actually saying or doing and made him seem much quieter. Most of the other Doctors were a lot louder, in personality whether or not in costume.

Leongreat

[15]May 16, 2008
    • level: 3

He did do a lot of bad serials, Revelation of the Deleks is one of my most hated serials, however Colin did come into the show in a bad time. Also I think most people link him to the canceling on DW in 1985.

However with most of Colin's serials being out/coming out soon I think history has been very nice to him unlike McCoy

shsteve

[17]May 23, 2008
    • level: 15

Baker tried his best with the role, so I can't fault him for getting the best out of the stuff they called 'writing' back then.

Unfortunately, the 6th Doctor is just a complete mis-step for me. He's far too harsh and while his layers are supposed to peel away, it just never happens. He still reverts back to this egotical professor type who tells everybody to shut up. When he strangles Peri, it does leave the viewer a bit cold and you just can't warm to him afterwards and that's the problem; he's just too harsh. It just seems like a forced idea after the more affable and nicer 5th Doctor. They had to go opposite again because of Pertwee (serious action man)-to-Baker (bohemian crackpot). Despite my sympathies for Baker and his 'put up or shut up' politics with the BBC, the character was just planned wrong and they had to make Trial of A Time Lord to correct this.

Strangely enough, fans warm to him more than Sylvester McCoy in recent years (who gets the brunt of the 'just get another Equity actor' jokes now), probably because they learnt that Baker was an enthusiastic actor who agreed that the direction they took was poor. I grew up with McCoy, so I can't say bad stuff about him. But looking back, his early episodes are just dull hangovers from Baker's era.

Edited on 05/23/2008 7:21am

archangelwho

[18]May 31, 2008
    • level: 18
    I think of all the ex-Doctors I enjoy reading and watching what Colin Baker has to say about the show the most. You can tell he really joyed being the Doctor unlike Tom Baker who acts at times as if he wish he had never played the part and wants nothing to do with the show or its fans.

wildhoney66

[19]Jun 9, 2008
    • level: 13

i've just got done watc hing 'Revelation of the daleks' i think it's called? the 45 min. serial from seasn 22 i think ? & sorry about my mispelling. it was my 1st story i've watched with him. & this is my 1st impression of him. a bit annoying at 1st buut i got used to it. NOT the greatest of course. he's NO Tom Baker. & i like him cuz he portrays him with having fun & i LOVE that & he can be serious as well. kinda like "David's Tennet's" portrayal as well. again sorry for my mispellingt. hehe

anyways, Colin Baker's portrayal wasn't THAT bad. it was alright. the ONLY thing that i thought was BADLY done with the casting for the episode is the casting of 'peri" My GOD that girl COULD NOT ACT IF HER LIFE DEPENDED ON IT! & the serial itself ran too damn long as well. pt. 1 was BOOORING cause the writing was as it's been said NOT The greatest. buut it wasn't the worst either. pt. 2 was MUCH BETTER & things ACTUALLY HAPPEND! ya know? even IF the writing wasn't the greatest.

i do have a ? for you people though. i've only seen the 1st,2nd. 4th & 6th, & of course the 20th anniversary serial. movie? minus the updated version. who do you think is the WORST & what era did the show go downhill & well SUCK? & did the show land back on it's feet before it ended? i konw when it comes to let's say a show like "Dallas' for example the show ran too long & went downhill, did Dr. Who?

wildhoney66

[20]Jun 9, 2008
    • level: 13
    i forgot to mention 2 things. 1 is i dunno how he reacts to the show personally now. although according to i think this site? tom baker regrets NOT doing the 20th anniversary special that "The BBC" did back than. & as fo "Colin Baker' good question who in the WORLD choose that outfit? & i wonder what his reaction was when he 1st saw it? hehe