Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

Supporters of Colin Baker #6 Doctor

Hal_10000

[21]Jun 18, 2008
    • level: 38

I think the show had a slow gradual decline from the time that JNT took over (last season of T Baker's run). That was where the obssession of the costumes began. But I wouldn't say the show ever really "sucked". It was still capable of gems, even in its last few seasons. They just became fewer and further between. The shorter season hurt as well. When you only had 14 weeks of Doctor Who, one bad serial could really disappoint. I'd watch the whole series, really, because people will disagree about which episodes are bad. Off the top of my head though, I would say the worst of the worst are the Gunfighters (Hartnell), the Dominators (Troughton, The Monster of Peladon (Pertwee), the Horns of Nimon and Underworld (Baker I), Twin Dilemma (Baker II; possibly worst serial of entire series), Timelash (Baker II) and The Happiness Patrol (McCoy; although it has its defenders).

You haven't watched the third Doctor yet? That's a great run.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

archangelwho

[23]Jun 27, 2008
    • level: 18
    wildhoney66 wrote:
    i forgot to mention 2 things. 1 is i dunno how he reacts to the show personally now. although according to i think this site? tom baker regrets NOT doing the 20th anniversary special that "The BBC" did back than. & as fo "Colin Baker' good question who in the WORLD choose that outfit? & i wonder what his reaction was when he 1st saw it? hehe

Colin Baker hated the outfit. It all goes back to John Nathan-Turner. At the start of the end of Doctor Who all the blame was placed at the feet of Colin Baker. But as time has passed and any of the cast and staff are speaking out the blame is now being placed with JNT who has become known as the man who killed Doctor Who. Remember C. Baker was only the actor playing a role. He was new to the show. He had to play the part the way JNT wanted him to. JNT had been with the show as far back as Tom Baker or maybe longer, I'm not sure. JNT was now the producer and seem to felt it was his show now. He made almost all the calls. C. Baker continue to work with Doctor Who and there are a lot of interviews of him. All are worth reading or watching if you can find them. Some are on his DVDs.

I have seen interviews of Tom Baker where he have said that he wish now that he had done the "Five Doctors" Watch the Five Doctors with the commentary on and get Adams & Davidson views on this. I have also seen things on why he did not do it and I have trouble believing his reasons. If you ever get a chance to see the "Tom Bsker's Years" I think it will help you to get a better view of where T. Baker was at for a time.

archangelwho

[24]Jun 27, 2008
    Hal_10000 wrote:

I think the show had a slow gradual decline from the time that JNT took over (last season of T Baker's run). That was where the obssession of the costumes began. But I wouldn't say the show ever really "sucked". It was still capable of gems, even in its last few seasons. They just became fewer and further between. The shorter season hurt as well. When you only had 14 weeks of Doctor Who, one bad serial could really disappoint. I'd watch the whole series, really, because people will disagree about which episodes are bad. Off the top of my head though, I would say the worst of the worst are the Gunfighters (Hartnell), the Dominators (Troughton, The Monster of Peladon (Pertwee), the Horns of Nimon and Underworld (Baker I), Twin Dilemma (Baker II; possibly worst serial of entire series), Timelash (Baker II) and The Happiness Patrol (McCoy; although it has its defenders).

You haven't watched the third Doctor yet? That's a great run.

I have never seen "The Happiness Patrol" but find it hard to believe any one could have been worst than "The Greatest Show in the Galaxy". Of the ones I have seen it would place that as the worst all time with "The Gunfighters" 2nd.

Hal_10000

[25]Jun 29, 2008
    archangelwho wrote:
    I have never seen "The Happiness Patrol" but find it hard to believe any one could have been worst than "The Greatest Show in the Galaxy". Of the ones I have seen it would place that as the worst all time with "The Gunfighters" 2nd.

Well, see there you go. A perfect example of how fan opinions differ. I think the Greatest Show in The Galaxy is fantastic (and its rates well here). On the other hand, I hate the ending of Remembrance of the Daleks, so what the heck do I know?

archangelwho

[26]Jun 30, 2008

Hal_10000 wrote:
    archangelwho wrote:
    Well, see there you go. A perfect example of how fan opinions differ. I think the Greatest Show in The Galaxy is fantastic (and its rates well here). On the other hand, I hate the ending of Remembrance of the Daleks, so what the heck do I know?

You seem to have seen more of the shows than I have. Here in my area we were limited to T. Baker and a few Pertwee and Davison. The others are the few that has came out on VHS or DVD and there seem to be no order to them so it has been hard to get a good feel. I submit to your experience. So you really rated the Greatest Show in the Galaxy high???? I will watch it again. My 5 years old like the Curse of Peladon as her all time favorite, she has called it the Monster Pig. I have never seen the Monster of Peladon but what do you think about the Curse of Peladon?

belial_77

[27]Jun 30, 2008
    • level: 17

I liked Greated Show... then again, I have a soft-spot for any evil canival thing since "Something Wicked This Way Comes" was my fave movie as a kid...

I admit, if you haven't watched episodes between, say the 5th doctor, til then the changes might be jarring tho...

The Peladon stuff is okay, if nothing else caus eof the Ice Warriors... but was never too big a fan of them... kinda boring and poorly paced, imo... many other Pertwee era stuff was way better...

Hal_10000

[28]Jun 30, 2008
    Curse of Peladon is pretty good. Monster of Peladon is endless. It's not that it's bad, per se, but that it's a lot of running around, getting captured, escaping. As a four-parter, it would have been better.

shsteve

[29]Jul 1, 2008
    • level: 15

Pertwee's era is so underrated. If you watch the stuff they did then and watch the nu-Who, there's a lot of similarities. I know it be really camp at times and some of the monsters were sort of laughable, but it lay down a lot of groundwork for the show. I love the Third Doctor's attitude too, it's the start of when The Doctor started warming to humans and mellowing out. I think they did his development really well at that point, which is why I find the Sixth to be all wrong. It's a complete reset, but with none of the factors that made him 'warm' to everyone.

I read somewhere that Colin Baker wanted an outfit similar to Pertwee's. Really dark tones to match the darker personality, but he never got that wish. In some of the books and most noticably the audio dramas like Real Time, he has a muted all-blue version of his patchwork suit. I think it's supposed to be a nod to Baker and the fans' wishes.

steamheaduk

[30]Jul 1, 2008
    • level: 19
    Well Pertwee's stories had to have something going for them, especially season 7 as elements have been borrowed from every story in that season.

1. Spearhead from Space - pretty much remade as Rose.

2. Doctor Who and the Silurians - The foe get's defeated at the end but the military still blow them up - The Christmas Invasion.

3. Ambassadors of Death - Mars mission gets intercepted and aliens come to Earth - The Christmas Invasion.

4. Doctor visits an alternate Earth that is heading towards destruction, returns to this one and takes measures to prevent it happening here - Army of Ghosts/Doomsday

belial_77

[31]Jul 1, 2008
    steamheaduk wrote:
    Well Pertwee's stories had to have something going for them, especially season 7 as elements have been borrowed from every story in that season.

1. Spearhead from Space - pretty much remade as Rose.

2. Doctor Who and the Silurians - The foe get's defeated at the end but the military still blow them up - The Christmas Invasion.

3. Ambassadors of Death - Mars mission gets intercepted and aliens come to Earth - The Christmas Invasion.

4. Doctor visits an alternate Earth that is heading towards destruction, returns to this one and takes measures to prevent it happening here - Army of Ghosts/Doomsday

Ambassadors is rather underrated, imo... it is an odd ball story for Who, but not in a bad way... you forgot to mention how the creepy alien space-suit (Phantom Spaceman as I like to call it) is echoed in the Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead

HDMe

[32]Jul 2, 2008
    • level: 3

As a long time fan, I've noticed that the last two Doctors (Sylvester McCoy and Colin Baker) tend to most often get the short end of the stick. McCoy is generally remembered more fondly as the guy who replaced Colin but still isn't remembered that fondly.

Thing is... if you ever see Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy outside of Doctor Who and if you see them speak about the show... it is clear they were fans then and are still fans now... and you can also get a glimpse of what might have been IF they had been aboard at a better time.

Not naming names... but the Direction clearly was not as strong as in the earlier years. This could be because of lack of experience at the top OR the declining interest in the BBC to really keep the show going after such a long run already by then. I think we also have to admit that while there are some exceptions, the writing was just not on par with what it had been in earlier seasons either. Again, this may be the fault of direction too as writers may have been instructed to write certain kinds of stories.

Some of Colin Baker's "meanness" actually goes back to the roots of the character and Hartnell's portrayal... and I didn't mind some of it, but at times it got to be way over the top. With Hartnell you got the impression he was just crabby but really had people's best interests at heart... with Colin sometimes it actually seemed like his Doctor really didn't care.

A good new story with the new Doctor (Tennant) from last season consisting of "Human Nature" and "Family of Blood" strikes a chord since the original story was written as a novel for McCoy's Doctor. I think this is a great example of what might have been, when you see that McCoy's Doctor really could have carried such a story if it had been written for him back in the day and if the direction of the new series was in play back then too.

To that end, I really feel badly that neither Colin nor McCoy got to be at their best. We see glimpses, but never fully realized. I would love to see a multi-doctor story in the new series that incorporated these incarnations and actually give them a proper farewell with good roles. Also since they technically got to be together since Colin was sacked and was hurt enough that he didn't want to return for McCoy's regeneration sequence.

Richiebcfc25

[33]Jul 6, 2008
    • level: 47

before i watched colin bakers episodes i heard rumours how he was the worst doctor ever and when i finally got round to watching the twin dilema my thoughts were sadly realised but as i watched more of his episodes i began to enjoy him more and more and during episodes such as vengeance on varos and timelash he really impressed me.

I guess the reasons people dislike him so is because he got off on the wrong foot and he turned alot of people against him when he tried to throttle peri but i really feel he did deserve a few more series and it was a travesty that he got sacked.

steamheaduk

[35]Jul 21, 2008
    Richiebcfc25 wrote:
    and he turned alot of people against him when he tried to throttle peri

I think you have that backwards, that was his shining moment

Richiebcfc25

[36]Jul 22, 2008
    steamheaduk wrote:
    Richiebcfc25 wrote:
    dont be hating on Peri Steamy she was the breast! er sorry i meant to say she was the best

steamheaduk

[37]Jul 22, 2008
    I take it you haven't seen Katy Manning's photo shoot with a Dalek then

Richiebcfc25

[38]Jul 22, 2008
    steamheaduk wrote:
    I take it you haven't seen Katy Manning's photo shoot with a Dalek then
    thanks to the wonders of the internet i just have and i must say thanks for letting me know about that picture steamy it really has brighten my day

shsteve

[39]Jul 23, 2008
    • level: 15
    Ha! Yeah, her infamous attempt to shrug off the 'kids TV' image. Obviously long before my time, but I read that it never really worked for her career in the end.

belial_77

[40]Aug 14, 2008
    steamheaduk wrote:
    Richiebcfc25 wrote:

I agree... and not just cause it was Peri... but it showed more of his character then anything else in his run... In fact I kinda wish that he would have had more of those violent tenancies to show up later... it would have def brought a more solid feel to his doctor (as in a progression of character, not mentally solid)... as is, it just seemed his Doctor was all over the place w/o really finding his own niche.