Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

Supporters of Colin Baker #6 Doctor

  • Avatar of steamheaduk

    steamheaduk

    [41]Sep 2, 2008
    • member since: 07/04/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 4,235
    belial_77 wrote:
    I agree... and not just cause it was Peri... but it showed more of his character then anything else in his run... In fact I kinda wish that he would have had more of those violent tenancies to show up later... it would have def brought a more solid feel to his doctor (as in a progression of character, not mentally solid)... as is, it just seemed his Doctor was all over the place w/o really finding his own niche.

    Yes I have to really say I enjoyed Baker's arrogant and darker moments, after the "wallflower" version of the Doctor that went before him.

    I really do enjoy listening to him in the Audio Adventures, the coat doesn't seem so bad on Radio His character also works extremely well with Evelyn Smythe.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [42]Dec 22, 2008
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,162
    Just finishing watching "The Trial of a Time Lord". I have really enjoyed it. More so than Colin Baker seem to. I did not know much about it until I watched it. I had hoped that that the flash backs would had covered all of his past lives. Colin Baker was better Doctor than his press reported. The more I watch of C. Baker the more I feel JNT was the problem.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of steamheaduk

    steamheaduk

    [43]Jan 8, 2009
    • member since: 07/04/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 4,235
    archangelwho wrote:
    The more I watch of C. Baker the more I feel JNT was the problem.

    Bingo!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [44]Jul 5, 2009
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,162
    While working ESY summer school for Sp. ED. students) I was able to talk to a staff member from another school who is also a big Doctor Who fan. When I first met him he was not a fan of C. Baker & never watched the DVD extras. After talking to him the past two summers about both he reported this summer that he had gone back and watched the DVD extras and not only has enjoyed them but has developed a better understanding of C. Baker. He now feel that it was JNT who lead to the down fall of Doctor Who and now watches C. Baker's stories from a new point of view. It is hard to find a Doctor who loved the show more than C. Baker or who has given back more to a show who fans had done him so bad.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pferreira86

    pferreira86

    [45]Jul 6, 2009
    • member since: 03/17/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,424
    archangelwho wrote:
    While working ESY summer school for Sp. ED. students) I was able to talk to a staff member from another school who is also a big Doctor Who fan. When I first met him he was not a fan of C. Baker & never watched the DVD extras. After talking to him the past two summers about both he reported this summer that he had gone back and watched the DVD extras and not only has enjoyed them but has developed a better understanding of C. Baker. He now feel that it was JNT who lead to the down fall of Doctor Who and now watches C. Baker's stories from a new point of view. It is hard to find a Doctor who loved the show more than C. Baker or who has given back more to a show who fans had done him so bad.
    It's a shame he feels that way about JNT. Doctor Who would of died a long time before if it wasn't for JNT. Not all his decisions were perfect but he did more for the show than Graham Williams.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [46]Jul 6, 2009
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,162

    pferreira86 wrote:
    archangelwho wrote:
    While working ESY summer school for Sp. ED. students) I was able to talk to a staff member from another school who is also a big Doctor Who fan. When I first met him he was not a fan of C. Baker & never watched the DVD extras. After talking to him the past two summers about both he reported this summer that he had gone back and watched the DVD extras and not only has enjoyed them but has developed a better understanding of C. Baker. He now feel that it was JNT who lead to the down fall of Doctor Who and now watches C. Baker's stories from a new point of view. It is hard to find a Doctor who loved the show more than C. Baker or who has given back more to a show who fans had done him so bad.
    It's a shame he feels that way about JNT. Doctor Who would of died a long time before if it wasn't for JNT. Not all his decisions were perfect but he did more for the show than Graham Williams.

    Maybe it is the way JNT come across in interviews or the way it looks that he allow C. Baker to take most of the blame at the start? I have the same feeling about JNT as my friend does maybe more so. I don;t want to place blame with there is not any, it could have been just the time for the end noone could have stopped it. If you have more information about JNT please send it to me. I do not want to judge any one without all the facts.

    Edited on 07/07/2009 6:10am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pferreira86

    pferreira86

    [47]Jul 10, 2009
    • member since: 03/17/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,424

    JNT was the producer of Doctor Who for nine years so in my opinion it allows for a more critical analysis of his time. It's easier to pick apart what he did as he was on the show for so long. It's worth noting that he wasn't responsible for Colin Baker getting let go, that was senior management at the BBC. JNT was told just to work with it.

    JNT genuinely loved the show and cared about it as shown by his constant need for back reference continuity. Everyone who worked on Doctor Who (even those who disagreed with him) will vouch for that. It's probably the way he ran things that people didn't like. As a new producer the production crew didn't have much faith in him so what you get right from the start is huge resistance from cast and crew who don't want to compromise. It made the 80s era of Doctor Who a very negative one as everyone wanted to get their own way instead of agreeing with the guy in charge! Hope this helps a little.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [48]Jul 10, 2009
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,162
    pferreira86 wrote:

    JNT was the producer of Doctor Who for nine years so in my opinion it allows for a more critical analysis of his time. It's easier to pick apart what he did as he was on the show for so long. It's worth noting that he wasn't responsible for Colin Baker getting let go, that was senior management at the BBC. JNT was told just to work with it.

    JNT genuinely loved the show and cared about it as shown by his constant need for back reference continuity. Everyone who worked on Doctor Who (even those who disagreed with him) will vouch for that. It's probably the way he ran things that people didn't like. As a new producer the production crew didn't have much faith in him so what you get right from the start is huge resistance from cast and crew who don't want to compromise. It made the 80s era of Doctor Who a very negative one as everyone wanted to get their own way instead of agreeing with the guy in charge! Hope this helps a little.

    It does. Thanks. I would like to see him do a "My yeas with the Doctor" book.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pferreira86

    pferreira86

    [49]Jul 13, 2009
    • member since: 03/17/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,424
    Well you know John Nathan-Turner is no longer with us. He died back in 2002.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [50]Jul 15, 2009
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,162

    pferreira86 wrote:
    Well you know John Nathan-Turner is no longer with us. He died back in 2002.

    NO!!! Of What? I feel so sad. Did the BBC do anything in his honor on any of the DVDs?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pferreira86

    pferreira86

    [51]Jul 16, 2009
    • member since: 03/17/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,424

    Not that I'm aware of. His last recorded interview was on the DVD of Resurrection of the Daleks back in 2002. He died about six weeks after that interview was conducted.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Boinkdexter

    Boinkdexter

    [52]Jul 16, 2009
    • member since: 07/03/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 252
    archangelwho wrote:

    NO!!! Of What?



    Whenever they don't tell you what it was, I always assume it's AIDS.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [53]Jul 17, 2009
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,162
    I read one news report that it was liver failure but not what cause the failure.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pferreira86

    pferreira86

    [54]Jul 21, 2009
    • member since: 03/17/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,424
    I thought Wikipedia said it was cancer.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TheOldBill

    TheOldBill

    [55]Jul 23, 2009
    • member since: 05/12/05
    • level: 94
    • rank: Hulkmaniac
    • posts: 3,572
    What's Wikipedia? JNT died of liver failure, confirmed at BFI.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [56]Jul 24, 2009
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,162

    TheOldBill wrote:
    What's Wikipedia? JNT died of liver failure, confirmed at BFI.

    Wikipedia is a wed site that say it is a free encyclopedia that any one can edit. They do review an edits before they are post, so they say. They have band some groups from posting for putting out incorrect or misleading information. I use it from time to time in my ****and so far have not had a problem. I posted the link to the home page and the page on Time Lords. Check it out and let me know what you think. You seem to be up more on all that is Doctor Who. wikipedia.org/wki/Main_Page wikipedia.org/wki/Time_Lord

    I hope the link will work. I copy and paste but got an errors message when I tryed to submit.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pferreira86

    pferreira86

    [57]Jul 26, 2009
    • member since: 03/17/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,424
    TheOldBill wrote:
    What's Wikipedia? JNT died of liver failure, confirmed at BFI.
    I was just remembering from memory so I guess I was wrong. But thanks for clearing that up.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [58]Dec 24, 2010
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,162

    We had a meeting at work two weeks ago and was given more paper work to do. We was then told the great thing is we have Winter (Christmas) Break to work on it. If you know anyone thinking about going in to education talk them out of it. 80% of the job is paper work, 90% of which has nothing to do with your students. Okya off my soap box.


    I now have all of the C. Baker's stories and while I was working on the paper work I watched them in order. (I can't just set and watch something on TV) I may have missed something but this is how I see the C. Baker's Years. Over all he was not the worst Doctor. I think the biggest problem is he started out so slow.Also his and Peri relationship takes away from the stories. Peri whinning and complaining, as understandable as it is with the Doctor bebavior toward her, also takes away from the stories. But if you can over look these areas and just take a look at the stories this is how I graded them. The coat has nver been an iissue with me. Other than T. Baker's I just don't really notice what the Doctor has on.


    I compared them to other stories form the first 7 Doctors. One thing I noticed is how more adult the stories seem to be.


    Great:The Attach of the Cybermen, Vengeance on Varos, Revelation of the Daleks (though the DJ at the start was a pain he did die well), TOT Terror of the Vervoids, TOT Mindwarp.


    Good: Timelash, TOT The Mysterious Planet, TOT The Ultimate Foe.


    Fair:The Two Doctor (Should have been great with the return of Patrick Troughton.)


    Bad: The Twin Dilemma (not only the Doctor's behavior but the mistake with the planets not only related to their size and the pull from the star but also being in the same orbit does not mean same atmosphere. A 6th grade science teacher would not have made this mistake let along a Time Lord.) The Mark of the Rani.


    I have not seen all of McCoy's stoies but from the ones I have seen I would say C. Baker was better.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pferreira86

    pferreira86

    [59]Jan 2, 2011
    • member since: 03/17/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,424

    From my point of view the reason I see the Colin Baker era as the weak link in original Doctor Who is not just because of the fatalistic violence but also it has to do with the creative burnout at the time. The writers after so many episodes were struggling to come up with new ideas that pulled in good ratings. It was all starting to look a bit cheap and tacky from a production stand point as well. I feel that with the new writers that joined for the 7th Doctor era they and script editor Andrew Cartmel were able to breathe new life into the show. The new style of music and direction meant a faster and more enjoyable series. If there is one valid criticism you could make of the McCoy stories was the need by Cartmel to inject too many ideas into a script. People who hate the McCoy era call it an 'incoherent mess' which I think is a little unfair. Better to have too many ideas in a story than too little. It's a problem that Douglas Adams stories suffered from but as I've said all the more better for it.

    Edited on 01/02/2011 2:37pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RandomAussie2

    RandomAussie2

    [60]Jan 15, 2011
    • member since: 11/08/09
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 130

    I don't do the whole 'he's my favourite Doctor thing', because everyone who has played The Doctor has been brilliant. (I think Sylvester never quite got the part, but he was quite good too) Picture this: it's 1986. Davison has decided to leave. Erick Saward and John Nathan Turner sitting at opposite ends of the desk. Doctor Who is very popular. Very popular. Lot's of pressure. Eric Saward and John Nathan Turner wondering: What the heck do we do with this one? Davison was very popular, Baker was still very popular. Every Doctor has to be unique, I can see that in a moment of desperation deciding that The Doctor should be for a time somewhat unlikable would have seemed like a good idea. I do think it's an intresting arc: Will The Doctor ever recover and be The Doctor again? Will Peri continue to stick by him? (I still can't believe people complain Peri was ever whiney – she's very young, has a troubled homelife and her friend who has helped her get away from it has just turned into egotistical jerk, 'cause she's going to be all cheery)



    In a way, as much as I love that first scene we see The Doctor and Peri together and getting along in Trial, I feel cheated and robbed of what we could have seen. Yes, to reply to an earlier post, he was sometimes egotistica and callaousl but we do see those early bits of The Doctors we all know and love all throughout The Twin Dilemma and Season 21 (his outrage at the plight of the inhabitants of Jacordia, being frightened for Peri when he thought Medstor had killed herhe death of Azareth, The Rani's callaous disregard for human life, etc). Personally, I think he was still regenerating His stories, in my opinon, weren't anywhere near as bad as fandom would led you believe (barring Timelash) and I love Trial of a Time Lord (yes, it's flawed, but love it I do).

    Edited on 01/15/2011 4:42am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.