Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

Supporters of Colin Baker #6 Doctor

archangelwho

[61]Jan 15, 2011
    • level: 18

RandomAussie2 wrote:

II think he was still regenerating His stories, in my opinon, weren't anywhere near as bad as fandom would led you believe (barring Timelash) and I love Trial of a Time Lord (yes, it's flawed, but love it I do).

I agree. I only saw one of his stories on TV (The Two Docotrs) part of his first one. All I ever knew about is what I read or was told by others. I got his 1st VHS so I could see how bad he was. Also I got to kind of know him though his DVD extras later. He seem to kind more about the show than Tom Baker does (talk about two are view so differently by the fans and who seem to treat the fans/show so diffently). You would think that Colin is on top of most fans list as #1 Doctor. The more I see Colin the more I like him. I'm gald he is starting to get his due with fans.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pferreira86

[62]Jan 16, 2011
    • level: 17

archangelwho wrote:

RandomAussie2 wrote:

II think he was still regenerating His stories, in my opinon, weren't anywhere near as bad as fandom would led you believe (barring Timelash) and I love Trial of a Time Lord (yes, it's flawed, but love it I do).

I agree. I only saw one of his stories on TV (The Two Docotrs) part of his first one. All I ever knew about is what I read or was told by others. I got his 1st VHS so I could see how bad he was. Also I got to kind of know him though his DVD extras later. He seem to kind more about the show than Tom Baker does (talk about two are view so differently by the fans and who seem to treat the fans/show so diffently). You would think that Colin is on top of most fans list as #1 Doctor. The more I see Colin the more I like him. I'm gald he is starting to get his due with fans.

I think Colin Baker's Big Finish audio dramas are playing a huge part in him being liked more.

archangelwho

[63]Jan 29, 2011

Just watched "The Caves of Androzani" you could tell from Baker's first scene that the show would be in trouble or at least very, very different. Then you take in the fact that you go from Davison's Doctor to C. Baker's Doctor in back to back shows (something that I have never been able to do until now) there is a shock, one that may have been too much for the fan base at the time. So C. Baker may not had a chance from the start. Which may explain why as time past he is more liked and appreciated.

pferreira86

[64]Jan 30, 2011

archangelwho wrote:

Just watched "The Caves of Androzani" you could tell from Baker's first scene that the show would be in trouble or at least very, very different. Then you take in the fact that you go from Davison's Doctor to C. Baker's Doctor in back to back shows (something that I have never been able to do until now) there is a shock, one that may have been too much for the fan base at the time. So C. Baker may not had a chance from the start. Which may explain why as time past he is more liked and appreciated.

His first season did okay in terms of ratings but yes his portrayal did make him lose a couple million viewers.

steamheaduk

[65]Feb 4, 2011
    • level: 19
    pferreira86 wrote:

I think Colin Baker's Big Finish audio dramas are playing a huge part in him being liked more.

Which of course don't hamstring him with that awful coat

pferreira86

[66]Feb 6, 2011

steamheaduk wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:

Which of course don't hamstring him with that awful coat
    The coats part of the Colin Baker charm! Wink

archangelwho

[67]Apr 6, 2011

What do you think the chances of him or any of the other Doctors being part of the 50th ann?

pferreira86

[69]Apr 10, 2011

Apart from Christopher Eccleston I think if they're still living they'd be interested in taking part.

archangelwho

[70]Apr 10, 2011

pferreira86 wrote:

Apart from Christopher Eccleston I think if they're still living they'd be interested in taking part.

What's up with Eccleston? Has he said anything? Is he another Tom Baker?

pferreira86

[71]Apr 17, 2011

archangelwho wrote:

pferreira86 wrote:

What's up with Eccleston? Has he said anything? Is he another Tom Baker?

It would take some effort to bring him back. It was the working environment (having to put up with John Barrowman everyday) that made him leave in the first place. Also I know from previous posts you've always wanted that JNT documentary. What ever you do don't watch the 'Come in Number 5' documentary on the Resurrection of the Daleks DVD. From what I've heard JNT is criticised pretty much all the way through.

archangelwho

[72]May 10, 2011

There are many resons that the show ended. Yes JNT made some mistakes and did not seem willing to change once something he wanted didnot work but there was others. 1st the fact that it had been on for so long. Few shows can maintain that many years. In fact none has ever lasted that long. The Tom Baker effect. Fans still missed him. Then there was John Nathan Turner taking over the show. He worked his way up the show so he must have been good at what he did. But like so many people who are good at their jobs they keep moving up until the Peter Principle take over "In a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence ". JNT later on want out but the BBC could not find anyone who wanted to take over. The BBC never gave the show the money it needed and as other shows/movies came along it really showed. Weak companions really hurted the show. Davison left too soon. He has said that if his 2nd season had went as well as his 3rd he would have stayed on. I believe the time slot hurted the show.If I remember correctly it may also had been moved around some which will kill a show.

pferreira86

[73]May 29, 2011

archangelwho wrote:

There are many resons that the show ended. Yes JNT made some mistakes and did not seem willing to change once something he wanted didnot work but there was others. 1st the fact that it had been on for so long. Few shows can maintain that many years. In fact none has ever lasted that long. The Tom Baker effect. Fans still missed him. Then there was John Nathan Turner taking over the show. He worked his way up the show so he must have been good at what he did. But like so many people who are good at their jobs they keep moving up until the Peter Principle take over "In a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence ". JNT later on want out but the BBC could not find anyone who wanted to take over. The BBC never gave the show the money it needed and as other shows/movies came along it really showed. Weak companions really hurted the show. Davison left too soon. He has said that if his 2nd season had went as well as his 3rd he would have stayed on. I believe the time slot hurted the show.If I remember correctly it may also had been moved around some which will kill a show.

Yes, the change in time slot did hurt the show although not in the beginning. Tom Baker's last season brought in something like 4 or 6 million viewers and this was when the show was on a Saturday night! The BBC then moved Doctor Who to Monday/Tuesday night for Peter Davison's first season and the ratings shot up to 9 million. The ratings that plummeted when the BBC decided to switch the show to Wednesday/Thursday nights and then Thursday/Friday nights so yes the ratings did indeed ruin the series not JNT.

archangelwho

[74]Jul 29, 2011

I know this is 20 plus years later and it is from Colin Baker's point of view without JNT having a chance to reply but from the DVD extras theaudio commentary that Colin Baker, the writers and cast members like Michael Jayston seem to have a better understanding of how the show shouldhavebeen done and either they were not allow imput and their imput was not taken.

pferreira86

[75]Jul 31, 2011

Colin Baker's gameplan was to make the Doctor even darker than he was and at the same time peel back the layers of his character to show a different person which unfortunately he never got a chance to do. He also wished his custom was dark but it went the complete opposite way instead. In a lot of cases the decisions JNT was making were good ones but also suffered from an overall lack of support.

archangelwho

[76]Jul 31, 2011

I would have liked to see the darker side of the Doctor. When you take all that has happen to him you know it is building up inside of him. I felt that McCoy and Eccleston was going that way but they never went all the way and would always move back to the nice side.

pferreira86

[77]Aug 14, 2011

archangelwho wrote:

I would have liked to see the darker side of the Doctor. When you take all that has happen to him you know it is building up inside of him. I felt that McCoy and Eccleston was going that way but they never went all the way and would always move back to the nice side.

Apparently if they had done a Season 27 McCoy's Doctor would have become even darker.

archangelwho

[78]Jun 8, 2013

[/QUOTE]It would take some effort to bring him back. It was the working environment (having to put up with John Barrowman everyday) that made him leave in the first place. Also I know from previous posts you've always wanted that JNT documentary. What ever you do don't watch the 'Come in Number 5' documentary on the Resurrection of the Daleks DVD. From what I've heard JNT is criticised pretty much all the way through.

[/QUOTE] Talk about putting things off I just got around to checking this out, or at least I don't remember checking it out until last week. I could not find the "Come in Number 5" documentary. I did listen to the Commentary and they did make a few remarks anout JNT both postive and negative. I wish that they had gone into more detail about the issue(s) that they felt was the cost of some of JNT behaviors.

pferreira86

[79]Jun 10, 2013

archangelwho wrote:

It would take some effort to bring him back. It was the working environment (having to put up with John Barrowman everyday) that made him leave in the first place. Also I know from previous posts you've always wanted that JNT documentary. What ever you do don't watch the 'Come in Number 5' documentary on the Resurrection of the Daleks DVD. From what I've heard JNT is criticised pretty much all the way through.

[/QUOTE] Talk about putting things off I just got around to checking this out, or at least I don't remember checking it out until last week. I could not find the "Come in Number 5" documentary. I did listen to the Commentary and they did make a few remarks anout JNT both postive and negative. I wish that they had gone into more detail about the issue(s) that they felt was the cost of some of JNT behaviors.

[/QUOTE]The documentary is on the Resurrection of the Daleks Special Edition DVD and is hosted by David Tennent.

archangelwho

[80]Jun 11, 2013

pferreira86 wrote:

archangelwho wrote:

Talk about putting things off I just got around to checking this out, or at least I don't remember checking it out until last week. I could not find the "Come in Number 5" documentary. I did listen to the Commentary and they did make a few remarks anout JNT both postive and negative. I wish that they had gone into more detail about the issue(s) that they felt was the cost of some of JNT behaviors.

[/QUOTE]The documentary is on the Resurrection of the Daleks Special Edition DVD and is hosted by David Tennent.

[/QUOTE] Those *&^%@#!!! Special Edition. They just keep coming up with ways for us to spend our money on the same product. VHS, DVD, Blue Ray, Special Editon. What is next. I have almost comlpete the Doctor Who DVDs. I don't know if I want to start over but I really like the extras.