Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

Teacher work day & Doctor Who

archangelwho

[1]Dec 31, 2012
    • level: 18

I have another teacher work day which means 7 and half hours of paperwork and some setting up class projects. Since I'm going to be in the room all day without students as part of my weekly notes I let the parents know if they need/want to talk to me about anything they are welcome to drop by or call. Also with the note I let them know that I will be showing Doctor Who in my classroom. This time it will be Season 7 part 1. I need something in the background while I complete the paperwork. (Anyone thinking about becoming a teacherbe sure thatyou understand thatit is more about the paper work than the students these days.) I have yet to have a parent come by. Unsure if it is the Doctor or me.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wildhoney66

[2]Dec 31, 2012
    • level: 13

i dunno honestly man.it's funny that you would put that in a note. it could just mean that parents aren't as involved as they once were maybe?

archangelwho

[3]Jan 1, 2013

wildhoney66 wrote:

i dunno honestly man.it's funny that you would put that in a note. it could just mean that parents aren't as involved as they once were maybe?

I post this 1. for just something fun and different. If you had not niticed both Doctor Who forums are almost dead. Something need to be doen to try to get things moving. 2. Part of the fun of these type is not only posting about the show but how the show interact with our lives. 3. You are right about parents today and this allowed me a way to vent so a little. There are a few parents at and school and even a few students who are Doctor Who fans.

wildhoney66

[4]Jan 3, 2013

i think you mistunderstood me man, it doesn't bother me that you posted about that here. i found it rather funny actually. what i meant is you said you left that in a note home to the parents. that is what i found odd cause i've never heard of anyone doing that before in my life. as for doctor who fans not everyone is a fan. there are more fans today than there was say 10 years ago. i read somewhere recently that with each convention it was always the same 800 people every year, and when the current show premired it jumped from 800 people to 10,000 fans!

as for teachers, by the sound of the way you love your job please let me add that i don't include you, but i listen to internet radio and they said that by today's teachers most of them don't care either how the kids learn. by the way you talk it doesn't sound like you are part of this ratio which is a good thing. they were talking about a poll that was done my guess a couple years back and it pretty much showed that kids are dumber these days than they used to be.

one of the questions was who was the president and nobody knew! of the kids that were asked. that's how uniformed these kids were! my point is that in some schools it's parents and the teachers to blame as well. well i'm not saying all teachers but some.

archangelwho

[5]Jan 4, 2013

Per the note home to my parents I have a reputation of at best being eccentic (which I did not a poor person could be) at best and at worst odd. A reputation that I have to work hard at to maintain. It is part of the reason I think that I have been able to maintain such good relationships with both the parents of mine students and my co-workers. As the senior (in years at the school) teacher I'm the go too for most things but my co-workers are never sure what they going to get when they ask. The parents veiws seems to behe may be eccentic/odd but he seems to know the students , their needs and the best plan to get there. So it works for me. I get things done and help a lot of people and I know whenany of my co-wokers need help or have a question they feel that they can always come to me.I'm also not not brother by being asked to lead a committee, write grants, no one questions me when I refuse things like Teacher of the Year. That just Arch being Arch.

wildhoney66

[6]Jan 4, 2013

well it sounds like you are one of the good teachers by the sound of it. when i was in school i had decent teachers and some of them weren't that great. but they weren't terrible. my point is any school i went to none of them had any teacher of the year award that was granted to them like a lot of schools gets.

nor do i think that any of them that i had anyways were good enough to get that either. i wasn't one of those lucky guys who grew up with a certain teacher as a mentor that would have actually been nice to be honest. but i didn't have that.

pferreira86

[7]Jan 6, 2013
    • level: 17

archangelwho wrote:

I have another teacher work day which means 7 and half hours of paperwork and some setting up class projects. Since I'm going to be in the room all day without students as part of my weekly notes I let the parents know if they need/want to talk to me about anything they are welcome to drop by or call. Also with the note I let them know that I will be showing Doctor Who in my classroom. This time it will be Season 7 part 1. I need something in the background while I complete the paperwork. (Anyone thinking about becoming a teacherbe sure thatyou understand thatit is more about the paper work than the students these days.) I have yet to have a parent come by. Unsure if it is the Doctor or me.

Not everyone has the same enthusiasm towards Doctor Who that you do unfortunately, sad I know but true.Wink

archangelwho

[8]Jan 6, 2013

If I can get it approved for my science lessons over the next few weeks I'm going to show "The Science of Doctor Who" from season 7 part 1. It is not like the old days where you can just show anything. You really have to justify it. I got last year Christmas special approved.

wildhoney66

[9]Jan 6, 2013

honestly that doesn't surprise me at all man. NOT one bit. the reason is prolly cause they have some stupid parents who if you show the right thing to kids they over think about it and it ends up kinda like in the original film 'The Music Man' where Mayor Shinn's wife makes a big deal over certain books at the libary. and though that film takes place in the early 20th century. that's how it feels to me like the world is going back to on certain things. they want their kids to be innocent as long as possible. yet they fail to realize that while there's nothing wrong in having your kid be innocent that doesn't mean the kid will stay that way.

in short the kid can't live in your world where nothing happens cause that's not the way the world works. bad stuff does indeed happen and nobody has control of it most of the time. and kids have to be ready for the real world. and they will get their asses kicked if they aren't prepared for it. or least aware that bad stuff happens at least. in short you can only protect your kids only so much. the real world is a scary place and these kids have to know this and at least try to be able to live in it. but from what i hear parents don't do that anymore.

please by all means correct me if i'm wrong man

archangelwho

[10]Jan 12, 2013

It is true that the real world has no place in education and many times facts has no place in education. On the bright side I did it the Doctor Who approved for use in my class.

wildhoney66

[11]Jan 12, 2013

NICE! man NICE! i have since taken a break myself from watching "Doctor Who' and a break from "Grey's Anatomy' which i had been watching as well. i got up to season 6 on that. and now i'm watching "The X-files' on episode 2 of season 1 so far. anyways as for Dr. Who.

what did you think about the x-mas episode anyways.

archangelwho

[12]Jan 20, 2013

Last years was one of the best stories of Doctor Who over all. I have yet to see this year, Netflix, and will have to wait for season 7 part 2 DVD set unless I can find it on line somewhere.

wildhoney66

[13]Jan 29, 2013

oh you can find it online pretty easy i'm sure. really you liked that as i call it the lion, the witch and the wardrobe mess that they did in (2011) ?

though i loved this years x-mas special it did have flaws such as taking far to long for anything to really happen. it was good when things got going but it takes awhile. and in short it has it's ups and downs. by the way i learned today that the 2nd half comes back on March 30th! i wondered when they were bringing it back? does anyone know if they will air next season later this year or next year ?