Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

The 12th Doctor

archangelwho

[1]Aug 4, 2013
    • level: 18

Peter Capald 55 years old, the same age as Willian Hartnell when he was casted for the role. Hartnell looked much older but it made have been the B/W TV. Best known for his role as the foul-mouther spin-doctor Malcolm Tucker in the BBC show "THe Thick of It". Don't know him, never heard of him but agian I had not ever herad of any of them but Davison before they became the Doctor. A wait and see as always.

Edited on 08/04/2013 2:18pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wildhoney66

[2]Aug 4, 2013
    • level: 13

i know you've been a DW fan a hell of a LOT longer than i have man. but i had never heard of any of the guys that played him since the current show started, so i can't complain on if they are good or bad actors. as for our lovely 1st doctor i don't think it was b&w man,

i think it was for one the wig he wore, and how he walked, and how he was in short written as an old man. you believed it. and plus WH who was ill as you know at the time he did the show so he no doubt looked even older. than we had Pat T. who was all over the place he he.

55 wow i didn't expect them to pick a guy that age. i'm not saying it's old it's not. but after having the last few be young guys, never thought they'd pick a guy who's in his mid 50's! he he. i looked up his bio on IMDB and i've never seen him in anything at all. so i dunno how good or bad he is as an actor. but we shall soon find out i guess. with Tennant i can at least say i saw him in Harry Potter. though his character was bigger in the book. and the mannerisms's that DT played as Barty Crouch Jr. wasn't in the book that was added for the film and it fit i think very well.

anyways i'm like you curious but from what wikipedia says if the info is correct. we won't see him as the new doctor until August of next year!

dcpgaus

[3]Aug 5, 2013
    • level: 16

Gosh, I didn't know he was that old. I think its great that the producers are trying different options for the Doctor - but will the audience accept an older actor in the role. Surely his connection with Clara will be more like father/daughter. I'm not saying its bad - but its different from the past. Here's hoping the audience takes him on.

Edited on 08/05/2013 10:37am

pferreira86

[4]Aug 5, 2013
    • level: 17

archangelwho wrote:

Peter Capald 55 years old, the same age as Willian Hartnell when he was casted for the role. Hartnell looked much older but it made have been the B/W TV. Best known for his role as the foul-mouther spin-doctor Malcolm Tucker in the BBC show "THe Thick of It". Don't know him, never heard of him but agian I had not ever herad of any of them but Davison before they became the Doctor. A wait and see as always.

He's been in Torchwood and Doctor Who before. I still remember that OTT bit in Children of the Earth where he shouts at his child "JUST SHUT UP!". I just find that bit really funny because it's so bad. But I do think he'll be a good Doctor.

archangelwho

[5]Aug 6, 2013

dcpgaus wrote:

Gosh, I didn't know he was that old. I think its great that the producers are trying different options for the Doctor - but will the audience accept an older actor in the role. Surely his connection with Clara will be more like father/daughter. I'm not saying its bad - but its different from the past. Here's hoping the audience takes him on.

I hope so. I for one are tired of these love sick puppies Doctor. The whole Rose storyline was a big mistake and took away from Rose, who was a great cpmpanion, and the Doctor. It may be good for the Doctor and fill the lost of family that he has developed.

wildhoney66

[6]Aug 6, 2013
    • level: 13

the soap opera stuff doesn't bother me, yes the guy in real life is 55 but the character is far older than 55 years old. so if they do choose to go that route, it wouldn't be that much of a stretch cause let's face it any woman is younger than the doctor. he he.

though since we still have River, i dunno for how long i wonder if that will be the case anyways?

archangelwho

[7]Aug 7, 2013

I think they ended River at the end of season 7 part 2 but not sure. I cannot give it word for word but it seems that the Doctor was keeping her alive and she asked him to release her whichhe did and then she was gone. The storyline was so unreal that it allows for anything to happen.

archangelwho

[8]Aug 7, 2013

Rather you like the new Doctor or not the fans must support him or it will be as it was when Tom Baker left and we will see an end of the show. As long as we fans support the show there will be other Doctors. They will get around the 12 regenerations somehow. Some will like them, some will not but there will always be another one. As fans our job is to support the show and keep the production tean on line with the storyline as best as we can. Capald has a major job ahead of him and we the fans can help him. For now the best we as fans can do is pray for him.

dcpgaus

[9]Aug 8, 2013
    wildhoney66 wrote:

the soap opera stuff doesn't bother me, yes the guy in real life is 55 but the character is far older than 55 years old. so if they do choose to go that route, it wouldn't be that much of a stretch cause let's face it any woman is younger than the doctor. he he.

though since we still have River, i dunno for how long i wonder if that will be the case anyways?

I have to say that the Doctor/Rose "romance" probably brought in a new audience to Doctor Who and made it so popular. I don't mind this aspect so much but I didn't like it when it continued on with Martha. They really should have changed direction with her. WIth Donna, it was much better - she was more critical of the Doctor. But then they started the Doctor-Amy-Rory triangle. While I'm sure most of the audience liked this, I didn't at all. In one story Amy is for the Doctor, then she's for Rory, and so on. Too inconsistent and very unlikely.

pferreira86

[10]Aug 12, 2013
    • level: 17

dcpgaus wrote:
    wildhoney66 wrote:

I have to say that the Doctor/Rose "romance" probably brought in a new audience to Doctor Who and made it so popular. I don't mind this aspect so much but I didn't like it when it continued on with Martha. They really should have changed direction with her. WIth Donna, it was much better - she was more critical of the Doctor. But then they started the Doctor-Amy-Rory triangle. While I'm sure most of the audience liked this, I didn't at all. In one story Amy is for the Doctor, then she's for Rory, and so on. Too inconsistent and very unlikely.
    I think the problem with the Rose storyline is not what they did with Martha but the fact that they wouldn't let Rose go and kept bringing her back or referencing her every episode. I guess the fans liked that so I'm in the minority.Foot in mouth

archangelwho

[11]Aug 18, 2013

pferreira86 wrote:

dcpgaus wrote:
    wildhoney66 wrote:

I think the problem with the Rose storyline is not what they did with Martha but the fact that they wouldn't let Rose go and kept bringing her back or referencing her every episode. I guess the fans liked that so I'm in the minority.Foot in mouth

Count me in that minority. I have found fans that was also fans of the 1963 show mostly did not care for the Doctor/Rose romance where fans of the 2005 show only mostly liked the romance.

dcpgaus

[12]Nov 29, 2013
    After what we saw in the latest doctor who story ' day of the doctor' and hurt being a doctor BEFORE chris/david/matt, doesn't this make capaldi the 13th doctor ?

steamheaduk

[13]Nov 29, 2013
    • level: 19

dcpgaus wrote:
    After what we saw in the latest doctor who story ' day of the doctor' and hurt being a doctor BEFORE chris/david/matt, doesn't this make capaldi the 13th doctor ?

From the nomenclature point of view, he's still the 12th Doctor. The point of "Night of the Doctor" was to show us that the 8th Doctor was abandoning the name Doctor for the good of the Universe, by becoming a Warrior, with the War Doctor's first line being "Doctor no more". So from a naming perspective you have 1st to 8th Doctor, then War Doctor who gets rehabilitated just before regeneration to become the 9th Doctor (now happy to use the name again). So it that perspective he's still the 12th.

From the regeneration perspective it is a LOT more interesting. In Mawdryn Undead (5th Doctor story in season 20), it was made very clear that the 12 regeneration limit is imposed by the amount of energy he carries within him NOT the amount of time he actually physically changes form. In Journey's End when Ten fixed himself, there was a very definite line in there that the remaining energy was diverted into a suitable receptacle (the hand) which in turn regenerated into the Meta Crisis Doctor.

So in terms of the number of packets of regeneration energy used, the 8th Doctor used regeneration 8 to get to War Doctor, then War to 9 used regeneration 9, 9 to 10 used regeneration 10, 10 to Meta used regeneration 11, and 10 to 11 used regeneration 12. So the Time of the Doctor promises to be a quite interesting episode.