Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

The Mind of Evil

archangelwho

[1]Jun 21, 2013
    • level: 18

When the Doctor was question about his certification as a scientist he stated that "I have been a scientist for thousands of...." He then cut it off and walked away. He stated it out of irritation which ususally mean a person is stating a fact. Does this mena that the Doctor is much older than the ages given or is this a throw away line used once and forgotten thus nolnger part of the storyline?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wildhoney66

[2]Jun 22, 2013
    • level: 13

it's been awhile since i last saw it. but i think it was a throway line cause he's what 900 something in the current series. i forget the actual age though. but this is just a guess on my part.

archangelwho

[3]Jun 22, 2013

Some where in season 7 part 2 he gives his age as 1,000 and something. So today storeline places him just over 1,000 years old. If what I read about a Timelord can go 900 years per regeneration if he does not do something to get his body killed the Doctor has shorten his life by around 8,900 years because of the life he chose.

pferreira86

[4]Jun 23, 2013
    • level: 17

I think The Doctor was exaggerating. The production team hadn't sorted out at that point how old was The Doctor or how many lives he'd previously had, see The Brain of Morbius so understand what I mean.

archangelwho

[5]Jun 23, 2013

Most shows can develop over time with little real problems, Andy Griffith, Friends are examples of shows that story lines about characters change a great deal. With shows like Doctor Who it does make it hard at times but again allow for some great debates.

dcpgaus

[6]Jul 23, 2013
    • level: 16
    I tihink its a case that new writers don't check what older writers wrote and all of sudden, there is inconsistency. This seems to happen a lot more in the new series, which says things one way, only to contradict it later on. Thats why I don't worry too much about what goes on in the new series...just go along for the ride if you can...

archangelwho

[7]Jul 23, 2013

dcpgaus wrote:
    I tihink its a case that new writers don't check what older writers wrote and all of sudden, there is inconsistency. This seems to happen a lot more in the new series, which says things one way, only to contradict it later on. Thats why I don't worry too much about what goes on in the new series...just go along for the ride if you can...
    That does seem to be the best veiw to take.

wildhoney66

[8]Jul 30, 2013

you can't blame the current writers for doing that cause it's not all their fault. the thing is for the current show it may be their fault. but if you look at the original show than you have how many writers? at least 30 ? i'm just throwing a number out there by the way, perhaps less? that like you said don't keep notes on what has already been said. Tom Baker's Doctor said he was middle aged i forget in what serial by time lords standards.

and that was years ago. i think with the original show yes the number for rengerations was set at 12. don't get me wrong and that made sense for the original show. but with the current show there as far as i know not a handbook out there put out by the BBC saying that he can only have 12 regenerations. if they decide to make him a last time lord like they have done with the current show.

there is no doubt the time lords my guess gave him something to keep their race going. so the show can go on longer and also so he can live longer than the normal time lord. no age limit has ever been set. and besides the way i look at the time lords is this, doesn't some of them if they are able to at least in the original show able to get more rengenerations? a certain number? my guess the time lords gave the doctor something

that we haven't seen yet. or if we ever will. that said we know you love to help people and we can't stop you from doing so, we've tried and failed many times. but if you help us in this time war to END IT, if you agree we will give you unlimted regenerations. and he agreed after thinking about it long & hard i'm sure. that's not anywhere i've read that's just something i just thought of and guessed at.

archangelwho

[9]Jul 31, 2013

That would mean that the Time Lords agreed to be sent to the Void which may or may not be true. From the statements that the Doctor had made I do not believe that to be case. You can feel great guilt at times from doing the right thing so it could have been something that needed to be done and that the Time Lords gave themselves up using the Doctor one last time.

wildhoney66

[10]Jul 31, 2013

it's just a theory that's all man. i am curious if that was the case though?

archangelwho

[11]Aug 1, 2013

It would make a great storyline the TimeLords was always using the Doctor and what could have been the greatest thing that they would ask/demand of the Doctor than becoming the alone. It would also allow the option that would allow the return of the Time Lords. I like it.

wildhoney66

[12]Aug 4, 2013

thank you. it's also the ONLY way that i can think of that Steven Moffat can do if he wants to get rid of the regeneration problem that hasn't been addressed yet. but if John Hurt is the doctor, that would make the 12th doctor the 13th doctor wouldn't it? so if that's true that to me anways,

avoiding it wouldn't it? at least as far as i know, unless in the 50th they will maybe address it ?