Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

The most under appreciative actor(s) and/or actress(es)

archangelwho

[1]Jan 18, 2014
    • level: 18

Many times we as fans we project our feeling for a charactor on to the actor/actress. When we happen we do not always give these people their due. Some of these within the Doctor Who world from the reading I have done and interviews I have seen are Michael Craze & Polly Anneke. Now with Craze & Anneke it is some what understandable. Many of their stories are lost. I knew very little of them until I got the audio collections. They were there for the 1st regeneration. Now that we are starting the 2nd set of regeneration many fans may not understand how big this is. It had never been done any whhere but maybe soap operas. Without the work of Craze (RIP) & Anneke the show could have ended right then. The two worst cases or Matthew Waterhouse & Bonnie Langford. The terms I have read used to describe them range from sad to hate. This for someone who is playing a role of which many time he/she does not have a say in how the role is to be played. With Waterhouse Tom Baker, who is 1 or 2 on most fans lists as the best Doctor, was leaving. A new Doctor was coming on. An actor who at the time would be the youngest to play the Doctor. Waterhouse in now the senior cast member. The other two companions are are also new. And remenber Davison got off to a slow start spending much of his time being carried in what was left of the zero room. This was alot for someone so young yet the Doctor Who continue and I'm not sure if he was ever given his due for dealing with all of the events going on. Then there is Ms. Langford. Doctor Who has been taken off the air for 18 months and Colin Baker is on most fans lists (not mine) as the worst Doctor. JNT is making one bad decision after another. How many shows can take 18 months off and return? Also Peri (Nicola Peri) a favorite amoung fans was being replaced. Her charator just shows up without any story line. Then ther eis a change in Doctors. There should be songs of prasies sung about Ms. Langford. There are never any Doctor Who conventions in my area. If I ever get a chanc to meet Ms. Anneke, Mr. Waterhouse or Ms. Langford I will express my thanks to them for what they did for Doctor Who and we the fans.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dcpgaus

[2]Jan 23, 2014
    • level: 16
    What about Caroline Johns (Liz Shaw) ? I remember when she first appeared, I was pleasantly surprised. As much as I enjoy all the younger actors running around, asking silly questions and screaming, the older actors provide a bit of sensible relief. She carried on from Barbara all those years before I thought. And because she only appeared in a few stories, everyone forgets her.

archangelwho

[3]Jan 24, 2014

She is the forgotten companion of the 3rd Doctor. Again a new Doctor is always a big risk but not only for the actor who plays the Doctor but for the ones who plays the companion(s).

benbraysher1

[4]Feb 3, 2014
    • level: 2
    Loved Liz Shaw (RIP Caroline John), thought she was 5 years ahead of her time.

My other nomination for this thread is Peter Purves, was always excellent as Steven and a great foil for Hartnell, and even today is always good value in interviews and commentaries.

archangelwho

[5]Feb 7, 2014

benbraysher1 wrote:
    Loved Liz Shaw (RIP Caroline John), thought she was 5 years ahead of her time. My other nomination for this thread is Peter Purves, was always excellent as Steven and a great foil for Hartnell, and even today is always good value in interviews and commentaries.

Welcome to Doctor Who 1963. We really need some new posters. I hope you will check out of the others even if you have to go back a few pages. Yes, the more I see of Purves on the DVD extras and his stoies the more I like him. For someone who was force off the show, he did not want to go, and had so much trouble finding work afterward he is really very positive about the show and his time. He and C. Baker both have been great for the rebirth of Doctor Who and all of the new fans of the 1963 show.

pferreira86

[6]Feb 9, 2014
    • level: 17

archangelwho wrote:

benbraysher1 wrote:
    Loved Liz Shaw (RIP Caroline John), thought she was 5 years ahead of her time. My other nomination for this thread is Peter Purves, was always excellent as Steven and a great foil for Hartnell, and even today is always good value in interviews and commentaries.

Welcome to Doctor Who 1963. We really need some new posters. I hope you will check out of the others even if you have to go back a few pages. Yes, the more I see of Purves on the DVD extras and his stoies the more I like him. For someone who was force off the show, he did not want to go, and had so much trouble finding work afterward he is really very positive about the show and his time. He and C. Baker both have been great for the rebirth of Doctor Who and all of the new fans of the 1963 show.

Peter Purves was out of work for a while but he became well known again thanks to Blue Peter which he presented for something like ten years.