Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

The most under appreciative companion(s)

archangelwho

[1]Jul 1, 2013
    • level: 18

I checked back as far as 16 pages and did not see this question so I hope it has not already been asked.

It would be easy to say Katarina and Sara Kingdom because of the short time they were with the Doctor but both had an impack before they die. They along with Hary Sullivan seems to be the most forgotten 3. Adric and Mel seem to be the most disliked. I know it is hard to judge some due to the lost episodes but as fans we should try to get to know all of the companions as well as we can.While listening to the audios I would have to say it is Ben and Polly with Ben even being more so. We must remember they were the first companions to go though a regeneration and had a major role with keeping the show going as the change from Hartnell to Troughton set in.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pferreira86

[2]Jul 7, 2013
    • level: 17

Poor Adric...and Kamelion.Tongue out

dcpgaus

[3]Jul 9, 2013
    • level: 16

pferreira86 wrote:

Yes poor Kamelion. In one story, forgotten for many, then reappears - only to die! Another is Dodo. Does anyone remember her ? A hurried replacement for Vicki (I think) - and then quickly dispatched in the 'War Machines' story - without even a goodbye scene. Still can't get over that one. Even Kamelion, Adric, Katrina and Sara all get time in the sun with a good death scene!

Edited on 07/09/2013 10:03am

archangelwho

[4]Jul 9, 2013

dcpgaus wrote:

pferreira86 wrote:

Yes poor Kamelion. In one story, forgotten for many, then reappears - only to die! Another is Dodo. Does anyone remember her ? A hurried replacement for Vicki (I think) - and then quickly dispatched in the 'War Machines' story - without even a goodbye scene. Still can't get over that one. Even Kamelion, Adric, Katrina and Sara all get time in the sun with a good death scene!

I rememebr Dodo but she is one I do forget about. Not even sure how many of her stories I have seen. I don't know how she came or went. I do remember that that someone said something about a dodo and the 3rd Doctor stated that he use to have one with him for a time.

archangelwho

[5]Jul 15, 2013

Rewatched Genesis of the Daleks & Revenge of the Cybermen over the weekend. Talk about a rateing winner. Daleks and Cybermen back to back. March-May which covers one of the two big rating sweep times that ad rates are set for the next year. Wonder if the same is true in the UK and what was the rating for those two stories? At last that this is a side note. From the times I watched them before I knew the Doctor did not really care for Harry Sullivan but it seem to go even further. The Doctor does not appreciate any thing Dr. Sullivan does. I need to rewatch the rest of his stories but my guess is that he is the less appreciative companion by the Doctor.

dcpgaus

[6]Jul 22, 2013
    archangelwho wrote:

Rewatched Genesis of the Daleks & Revenge of the Cybermen over the weekend. Talk about a rateing winner. Daleks and Cybermen back to back. March-May which covers one of the two big rating sweep times that ad rates are set for the next year. Wonder if the same is true in the UK and what was the rating for those two stories? At last that this is a side note. From the times I watched them before I knew the Doctor did not really care for Harry Sullivan but it seem to go even further. The Doctor does not appreciate any thing Dr. Sullivan does. I need to rewatch the rest of his stories but my guess is that he is the less appreciative companion by the Doctor.

Genesis was amazing when I saw it. The Doctor has some incredible scenes as does Davros and Sarah-Jane. I liked Revenge too. Probably had something to do with the complex storyline between humans, Vogans, Cybermen and a traitor. Poor Harry. I think when Tom was cast as the Doctor, the reason for Harry being around (ie be involved in fights, stunts) disappeared. I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. I would have written him out after the 'Sontaran' story. The dynamic between Tom and Lis was great - and they didn't need another companion.

dcpgaus

[7]Jul 22, 2013
    Back to the companion thread...What about Mel. Was there ever a companion that didn't look like they belonged on this show ? Poor Mel didn't even get a proper story to introduce her - and then disappeared with Glitz (a very unlikely solution that was).

archangelwho

[8]Jul 22, 2013

If there was ever a filler companion Mel was it. Unsure how she was done but it seem to me that she was picked because they felt they needed a companion and just picked her until a better idea came along. I have never liked the way she seem to have been treated by the production team or the fans and the fans should be better.

dcpgaus

[9]Jul 23, 2013
    I don't have a problem with Bonnie. Unfortunately for her, Mel wasn't written properly. Sometimes she was written as a dummy (the Rani impersonating Mel was a good example), other times she wanted the Doctor to do aerobics((!!!) and her clothes didn't work on the show at all. But she did have a very good scene when she said goodbye to the Doctor.

archangelwho

[10]Jul 27, 2013

Watching Planet of Fire for the first time it seem. I thought I had watched all of Davison's. This one I did not remember. I guess I would have to make 2 lists. B/W Ben & Polly. Color Kamelion. I just for get him and only remember one other that he was in. I guess I need to rewatch the Davison and see if I have missed others. It is nice when you find a new old Doctor Who.

dcpgaus

[11]Jul 28, 2013
    archangelwho wrote:

Watching Planet of Fire for the first time it seem. I thought I had watched all of Davison's. This one I did not remember. I guess I would have to make 2 lists. B/W Ben & Polly. Color Kamelion. I just for get him and only remember one other that he was in. I guess I need to rewatch the Davison and see if I have missed others. It is nice when you find a new old Doctor Who.

Kamelion wasn't in any other stories except for his first and last stories. I read somewhere (probably in the Planet of Fire novel) that his 'missing in action' explanation was that he just stayed in the Tardis and consumed knowledge from the computers. Poor Kamelion. Very boring - and so different from K9 who was also a robot.

archangelwho

[12]Aug 1, 2013

What was the thing with Kamelion? Was there a change is writters or was he just a mistake?

pferreira86

[13]Aug 5, 2013
    • level: 17

archangelwho wrote:

What was the thing with Kamelion? Was there a change is writters or was he just a mistake?

Kamelion appears first on screen in The King's Demons and then disappears until Planet of Fire where unlike the other dead companions mentioned did ask the Doctor to kill him off. However, he also appears in a deleted scene from The Awakening so it's worth watching that scene.

The problem with Kamelion if you haven't guessed yet is that the production team could never get the robot to move properly which made the Kamelion droid prop a nightmare to film with so that explains the gap in between his appearances.

archangelwho

[14]Aug 9, 2013

If you would like to get to know more about Wendy Podbury, (Victoria) and Anneke Wills (Polly) both do great interviews in The Lost TV Episodes sets. Wendy Podbury in collection 5 and Anneke Wills in collection 3.The other 3 sets (there 5 in all and they cover all of the lost episodes) have great interviews with Frazer Hines and Peter Purves.

dcpgaus

[15]Aug 22, 2013
    On one channel they are rerunning all of Tom Baker's stories. In the second story ' Ark in Space', it already illustrates that poor Harry Sullivan has little to do - except be a target for Sarah Jane's feminist stance. Poor guy...

archangelwho

[16]Aug 22, 2013

dcpgaus wrote:
    On one channel they are rerunning all of Tom Baker's stories. In the second story ' Ark in Space', it already illustrates that poor Harry Sullivan has little to do - except be a target for Sarah Jane's feminist stance. Poor guy...

And the Doctor's insults. He didn't even have K-9 to stand with him. I bet Jo would have stood with him.

archangelwho

[17]Oct 15, 2013

How much do you think time has on the way a companion is viewed? Is it a case my Doctor, my companion(s) are the best?

dcpgaus

[18]Oct 16, 2013
    archangelwho wrote:

How much do you think time has on the way a companion is viewed? Is it a case my Doctor, my companion(s) are the best?

I think its huge. Someone like Sarah Jane can start off as nosey and bossy - and then soften to become staunch, fearless and supportive in a crisis. Tegan's another one. While she did whinge a lot, you can see as the show goes along that she would do anything to help/save the Doctor. They were given time to develop. Ace is the best example - starting off as a typical teenager and growing to become a woman. Poor people like Mel never really had time to develop. In the new series, I think Donna also fits in this category. The first few stories had Donna being stupid on so many levels - and I wondered what the hell they were doing with this character. But she really developed as time went by - and you began to care for her as a companion. Her last scenes with her memory erased were very well done.

archangelwho

[19]Oct 18, 2013

What about those that time has forgotten. Even counting for thr missing stories Jamie and Sara Jane seem to be the only two from the first 3 Doctor's lives that get any respect and Sara Jane may have been helped by being with Tom Baker.

steamheaduk

[20]Oct 21, 2013
    • level: 19

archangelwho wrote:

What about those that time has forgotten. Even counting for thr missing stories Jamie and Sara Jane seem to be the only two from the first 3 Doctor's lives that get any respect and Sara Jane may have been helped by being with Tom Baker.

It's not surprising really, given that Jamie, Sarah, Ian and Barbara are the longest serving companions, and as such stand more chance of being somebody's "companion". Then roll into that Frazer and Liz's enhusiasm to still be associated with the role, then they're going to get the most "press".

Of course of the first 6 seasons, many episodes, until recently, are lost, many companions only stayed for a single season so missing stories make a big dent in their visibility. And then the likes of Katarina and Sarah Kingdom, both being killed off in the same season, are quite lucky to have any episodes of their tenure remaining at all (though a little bird tells me 3 episodes of Myth Makers are back).

Fortunately all is not lost as Big Finish are giving a lot of the early companions extra chances to reprise their roles.