Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

The Pilot vs the first Episode

archangelwho

[1]May 13, 2012
    • level: 18

On the DVD you able to watch them back to back. Each time it seem that I notice someone new. Rather it is Susan's clothing or the set up in the TARDIS. I can understand them toneing the Doctor down a lot. There is a post where someone stated that they feel the Doctor during his 1st regeneration(sp) was a jerk. I wonder what they would think if they watched the Pilot. I'm gald they changed the part where he call Susan a "stupid child". And they say his 6th regeneration was mean? What wish they had kept was the ink spots with Susan. They could have built on that. Overall I liked the 1st Episode better and unsure for the time if they had left the pilot as is if it would have caught on with the Doctor being somean especially told his granddaughter.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pferreira86

[2]May 20, 2012
    • level: 17

archangelwho wrote:

On the DVD you able to watch them back to back. Each time it seem that I notice someone new. Rather it is Susan's clothing or the set up in the TARDIS. I can understand them toneing the Doctor down a lot. There is a post where someone stated that they feel the Doctor during his 1st regeneration(sp) was a jerk. I wonder what they would think if they watched the Pilot. I'm gald they changed the part where he call Susan a "stupid child". And they say his 6th regeneration was mean? What wish they had kept was the ink spots with Susan. They could have built on that. Overall I liked the 1st Episode better and unsure for the time if they had left the pilot as is if it would have caught on with the Doctor being somean especially told his granddaughter.

Yes the pilot like it's characters is very, very alien.

wildhoney66

[3]May 20, 2012
    • level: 13

i do like they changed him from being an even angyier old fart to the lovable grandfather. yes he was still a grumpy old fart in the one that aired. but NOT NEARLY as bad. he did later thankfully become a guy we can grow & love. the original pilot has it's plus & minus as well.

so honestly other than him being meaner i dunno which one i like better.

archangelwho

[4]Jul 15, 2012

I took one of the TRDIS cups I got for Father Day to church and it lead to alot of questions. My pastor wife had never heard of Doctor Who, along with some others. There was one other who had watched Tom Baker. My pastor wife likes old tv shows and some sci-fi so she wanted to teast Doctor Who out. I gave her the Pilot and the 1st 3 episodes. With the not so great relationship between the Doctor and Ian & Barbara I have started to think that I should have started off somewhere else. Did I make a mistake?

pferreira86

[5]Jul 22, 2012

Well it's difficult to judge where to start a potential new fan. If I didn't start with the DVD of Genesis of the Daleks I probably wouldn't have a good impression of the original series. People who say start with Remembrance of the Daleks are totally wrong as the sheer awesomeness of that story should be saved until one is properly ready!Wink

archangelwho

[6]Jul 23, 2012

She stated that it was hard to watch due to how mean the Doctor was but she gald ahe did because she knows how it started. She did enjoy watching the pilotand the 1st back to back. She is readyfor the next set and want them in order. May be on our way to a new fan? My Sunday School teacher want them next. May be two new fans?

wildhoney66

[7]Sep 9, 2012

i bought the 1st set today at FYE of all places. i had no idea that company was even STILL AROUND! so i looked it up. and now i have the whole 1st season on dvd cept of course 'Reign of terror' i count marco polo cause it's got a 30 minute recon, next up season 2!

wildhoney66

[8]Sep 13, 2012

i picked up some more "Who" the 1st one is course 'Planet of the giants' this was last night in fact. well that one. "Spearhead from Space"

and ""The Greatest Show in the galaxy' that one i actually haven't seen yet. my hope that at some point i'll own the entire series on dvd. not counting the lost episodes of course. i now have 25 cases and if you count the double disc one where it's got

'the space musuem' and 'The Chase' i got #27 serials on dvd now. i've bought 13 who releases this year. and 11 of them are ones that came out this year in fact. i'm about to put on part 4 i think of serial #2 "The Daleks"

how many do you have?

archangelwho

[9]Sep 21, 2012

Each DVD/audio = one full story #1 16 DVDs 9 audios of lost stories #2 7 DVDs 2 audios of lost stories

#3 18 DVDs#4 34 DVDs1audios new story #5 20 DVDs 1 audios new story #6 11 DVDs #7 11 DVDs #8 1 DVD

1 audio with #5, #6 & # 7 in it. I have all of the 2005 but thecurrent one which has not been released. I aslo have K-9 and Company and all 5 seasons of Sarah Jane on DVDs and Curse of Fatal Death on VHS. As far as I know it has not been released on DVD.

#7 Greatest Show in the Galaxy & #1 Planet of the Giants has been ordered and on the way.

Edited on 09/21/2012 6:48pm

ChipsTheButler

[10]Sep 30, 2012
    • level: 9
    OK

archangelwho

[11]Dec 21, 2012

archangelwho wrote:

She stated that it was hard to watch due to how mean the Doctor was but she gald ahe did because she knows how it started. She did enjoy watching the pilotand the 1st back to back. She is readyfor the next set and want them in order. May be on our way to a new fan? My Sunday School teacher want them next. May be two new fans?

She did not care for the 1st Doctor after ep 1-3 and 5-7. I gave her Tom Baker;s 1-3 but no go. My Sunday School teacher watch 1-3 of the 1st Doctor and he also was a no go. Oh well not everyone has level of taste needed to enjoy Doctor Who.

wildhoney66

[12]Dec 21, 2012

honestly i didn't like the 1st doctor at 1st either man. but that didn't stop me from watching the show and he later on became a lovable character. and funny thing is my aunt who's also a who fan. well i gave her some of the 1st doctor a couple years back and she doesn't like the 1st doctor either. well tell her that may be how the chracter started out as a grumpy old man. but that's cause he was for a long period of time traveling with himself and with his grand daughter and when he did start helping people and the companions stood up to him in that 2 parter

he later on did come to respect them and treat them as equals. it just took a couple serials to do that. give her the last serial to watch with Susan

i'm to lazy and tired to look up which one that one is. serial no.10 oh 'the dalek invasion of earth. it came to me slowly but surely it came to me. he he

dcpgaus

[13]Jan 6, 2013
    • level: 16
    I just saw the first story on tv. The First Doctor is quite annoying, he takes forever to open the Tardis door and prove to Ian that they have left his timezone. Ian - too - is quite stupid, saying over and over again that "it cant be real" nonsense. Barbara is a better character for a first impression, quite willing to accept what she can see - and Susan is ok (although she goes hysterical quite early in the piece!). I think Doctor Who is very fortunate that the next story is with the Daleks, because the first story just isn't that strong or interesting for the general viewer. By the way, the picture quality is very poor with some static and smudges - is this fixed up for dvd ?

pferreira86

[14]Jan 6, 2013

dcpgaus wrote:
    I just saw the first story on tv. The First Doctor is quite annoying, he takes forever to open the Tardis door and prove to Ian that they have left his timezone. Ian - too - is quite stupid, saying over and over again that "it cant be real" nonsense. Barbara is a better character for a first impression, quite willing to accept what she can see - and Susan is ok (although she goes hysterical quite early in the piece!). I think Doctor Who is very fortunate that the next story is with the Daleks, because the first story just isn't that strong or interesting for the general viewer. By the way, the picture quality is very poor with some static and smudges - is this fixed up for dvd ?
    The DVD will have the best quality so yes.

archangelwho

[15]Jan 6, 2013

I have it on DVD and I'm surpise how well the picture andsoundiareon the older stories.

wildhoney66

[16]Jan 7, 2013

actually i think their reactions are realistic. everyone who has ever walked into the tardis act differently. and for (1963) when no one else but the doctor and Susan has walked into it. i have no problems on his reactions. barbra is a woman of science so she can believe it better.

and i don't think Ian is an idiot cause if you watch him as the show progressed he's quite smart. both of them are. and yes the doctor is quite grumpy at first. but as the show goes on in the 1st few serials he does learn to respect them and treats them a bit better.

by the time say 5th or 6th serial you can tell they by than do care about each other. though the doctor doesn't show it like he does now. it's a totally different show. than it later became.

archangelwho

[17]Jan 12, 2013

I guess you can say the Docotr has mellow with age. The problem at times it has gotten to the point of being just silly and even sad. There are times with I miss the old Doctor.