Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

The Reign of Terror on DVD

archangelwho

[1]Feb 7, 2013
    • level: 18

Just got my BBCAmericaShop winter 2013 in the mail. They have animated the two lost episodes. As great of news this is I wish they would put out a list of the ones that they are going to animate. I could use my limited money on CDs of new stories. I have the Reign of Terror on CD.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wildhoney66

[2]Feb 7, 2013
    • level: 13

we've talked about this before man. i believe they are doing serials that have more say found episodes than ones without it. i believe on IMDB board they said that the new company they have now has a budget enough for 2 episodes to animate. plus i also believe they are seeing how they sell as well. i am curious about one thing though how is "Spearhead from space' going to look on blu-ray when that comes out later this year?

yes i have that on dvd i bought when it was released again last year. but i'll get it on blu-ray. hell it's the only one that'll ever be put on blu-ray cause of how it was shot i guess. i dunno if that's a good or a bad thing to be honest.

pferreira86

[3]Feb 10, 2013
    • level: 17

wildhoney66 wrote:

i am curious about one thing though how is "Spearhead from space' going to look on blu-ray when that comes out later this year?

Huh? In HD.

wildhoney66

[4]Feb 10, 2013

yeah i think it's the only serial that was shot that way. in short they used a different camera for that particular serial and it's the only one that is capable of being put on blu-ray and looking good. from my understanding

TheOldBill

[5]Feb 14, 2013
    • level: 94

I'm disappointed with the animation done for The Reign of Terror The animated episodes on The Invasion felt completely authentic, like a shot for shot recreation of the missing episodes. On RoT, the rapid cutting between viewpoints (camera angles) and repeated close ups make each animated episode look quite unlike the surviving episodes on the release (or, indeed, any BBC production from the 1960s). I'd only just rewatched the Loose Cannon recon of RoT, and I don't think the animation adds anything.

According to the official website, the forthcoming releases of Galaxy Four and The Ice Warriors will feature recons of the missing episodes, which leaves The Tenth Planet as the only as-yet unreleased DVD that could be considered for the animation treatment.

pferreira86

[6]Feb 17, 2013

I find it kind of odd that the story with only one episode missing hasn't been animated yet. The Reign of Terror seems to have got good reviews for it's animation so I guess it's down to personal preference and will have to watch it myself soon.

pferreira86

[7]Feb 17, 2013

wildhoney66 wrote:

yeah i think it's the only serial that was shot that way. in short they used a different camera for that particular serial and it's the only one that is capable of being put on blu-ray and looking good. from my understanding

It was all shot on 16mm film. The only difference is that they shot the whole story on this film instead of the usual mixture film/video tape.

wildhoney66

[8]Feb 18, 2013

right, i haven't gotten this one yet on dvd. but i plan too. as for say 'The Tenth Planet' for example not being on dvd yet it's suppose to come out later this year at some point. i've said this often enough i wonder what they are going to do once all the epsiodes that can be annimated be on dvd. there's only a certain number of serials that are left if ya think about it.

from like i said my understanding they only are able to get the budget for this new company to do 2 episodes at the most. for the longer serials i'm guessing we i dunno will have to wait i'm guessing.

pferreira86

[9]Feb 24, 2013

wildhoney66 wrote:

right, i haven't gotten this one yet on dvd. but i plan too. as for say 'The Tenth Planet' for example not being on dvd yet it's suppose to come out later this year at some point. i've said this often enough i wonder what they are going to do once all the epsiodes that can be annimated be on dvd. there's only a certain number of serials that are left if ya think about it.

Yes news just in The Tenth Planet is getting it's lost episode animated!Cool

archangelwho

[10]Feb 27, 2013

Just ordered a copy from BBCAmericaShop today along with Shada which also has been animated. I know we have covered this before but my mind, whichwas never at the top of the class, is not what it use to be. Can some give me a list of 1. any others that will be animated2. any that could be animated later 3. Which DVD will the two newly found episodes be placed? Thanks and forgive someone in need of regeneration.

pferreira86

[11]Mar 3, 2013

archangelwho wrote:

Just ordered a copy from BBCAmericaShop today along with Shada which also has been animated. I know we have covered this before but my mind, whichwas never at the top of the class, is not what it use to be. Can some give me a list of 1. any others that will be animated2. any that could be animated later 3. Which DVD will the two newly found episodes be placed? Thanks and forgive someone in need of regeneration.

Tenth Planet (confirmed)

Ice Warriors (confirmed)

Underwater Menace (perhaps)

Galaxy 4 (perhaps)

wildhoney66

[12]Mar 3, 2013

Galaxy 4 at the moment is going to be on 'the aztecs' dvd which i thought you knew?

archangelwho

[13]Mar 9, 2013

wildhoney66 wrote:

Galaxy 4 at the moment is going to be on 'the aztecs' dvd which i thought you knew?

That I knew but just wanted it comfrim. What about the other one? There was two found about the same time?

archangelwho

[14]Mar 9, 2013

pferreira86 wrote:

archangelwho wrote:

Tenth Planet (confirmed)

Ice Warriors (confirmed)

Underwater Menace (perhaps)

Galaxy 4 (perhaps)

Do they have release dates?

PS Thanks a lot. This site hasone, if not, the most informative group of posters on tvcom

Edited on 03/10/2013 11:05am

wildhoney66

[15]Mar 9, 2013

i had thought you knew what was going to come out? underwater menace i think comes out later this year. that's i believe going to be an offical release kinda how like 'The Reign of Terror' was. and since most of that one does in fact exist it makes sense for them to do this. i think that comes out in September but i'm NOT 100% sure. check out tv shows on dvd. or hell even somewhere on here i believe they are posted. or on IMDB D.Who board they are there too.

wildhoney66

[16]Mar 14, 2013

i bought this last night and also "Shada' as well i just haven't watched them yet. i also bought "Smallville' seasons 1-3 on dvd. now that's a show i haven't watched in years! i watched that show when it 1st came out. saw the entire 1st season than i missed some of the 2nd season and lost track of what's going on so it's been a long time since i last saw it. i watched the 1st episode

and it was a pretty good Pilot. better than i remembered to be honest. anyways as for doctor who going back on topic i now have 40 releases of the show so far. and not counting "Marco Polo' i FINALLY have the entire 1st season of Doctor Who on dvd! and all the well with the exception of the Lost collection i now have all the 1st doctor serials that are released so far. yes i know "The Aztec's is coming out this year but that isn't out yet. also i found it odd that the case for 'Shada' is a clear case instead of the normal black. i don't care either way but it just caught me by surprise that's all

archangelwho

[17]Mar 16, 2013

wildhoney66 wrote:

i bought this last night and also "Shada' as well i just haven't watched them yet. i also bought "Smallville' seasons 1-3 on dvd. now that's a show i haven't watched in years! i watched that show when it 1st came out. saw the entire 1st season than i missed some of the 2nd season and lost track of what's going on so it's been a long time since i last saw it. i watched the 1st episode

and it was a pretty good Pilot. better than i remembered to be honest. anyways as for doctor who going back on topic i now have 40 releases of the show so far. and not counting "Marco Polo' i FINALLY have the entire 1st season of Doctor Who on dvd! and all the well with the exception of the Lost collection i now have all the 1st doctor serials that are released so far. yes i know "The Aztec's is coming out this year but that isn't out yet. also i found it odd that the case for 'Shada' is a clear case instead of the normal black. i don't care either way but it just caught me by surprise that's all

I got my Shada in the mail today and when I open the package my 1st response was that they had sent me the wrong DVD until I pulled it out. Maybe it is clear due to have 3 discs? The Reign of Terror, which I got last week< is black. I tt think I caught up on all of the releases not counting the special editions that have came out. One DVD per story is all my budget can handle.

pferreira86

[18]Mar 17, 2013

wildhoney66 wrote:

Smallville?! (quickly raises fingers into a cross position).Yell

wildhoney66

[19]Mar 17, 2013

well i'm glad i wasn't the only one who thought it was odd. by the release date i see 'The Aztec's SE came out on the 12th ok that's one i will buy cause it's got the recently found episode "Airlock" i believe.

so you like dislike smallville?

pferreira86

[20]Mar 24, 2013

wildhoney66 wrote:

so you like dislike smallville?

Like the plague.Surprised

However I did watch every single episode...why...why?