Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

The Sensorites

archangelwho

[1]Mar 23, 2012
    • level: 18

As with many Doctor Who fans, especially those in the U.S.A. rather you are a fan of the new show or the original we have not seen many of the William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton stories until they were placed on VHS and then DVD. So when one of these come out on DVD it is like a new story to us. It gives us a chance to see something that we have only read about and for us older fans who never felt that we would ever get a chance to see them. To me that is worth the cost of the DVD. You younger fans should be thankful for the times you live in. Then there is the pleasure of watching it. Afterwards there are the DVD extras which I find myself watching more often than the story. I really enjoyed the Sensorites. I disagree with Toby Hadoke who state in the DVD extras "Looking for Peter" that the Sensorites did not show the good taste of being one of the stories wiped away. I think too often we judge TV and movies like we judge history, in todays terms. To be an honest judge of anything you have to take in the context of the times of the events.This story originally aired on 6-20 to 8-1-1964. As with all of (Got to go to a birthday dinner Will finish) (I'm back. Got in much later than we had plan.) the Doctor Who at the time the production staff was short on time to get the story completed and well short on the money needed to do it right even for the 1960s. Then there was the 1960 technology. The main storylne is great and there are several underlining stories which keep you alert. But even on the DVD commentary they stated that this was a story not remember fondly by the fans. I guess a different time?The "Looking for Peter"story is nice and sad. With so manyof those who has brought us Doctor Who have gone it is nice that they are not forgotten. The part I liked the best about the DVDsare the audio commentaries. For this one as nice as it would have been to hear more from Ms. Ford and Mr. Russell I'm gald that they were able to get so many from the story in. By changing them in and out as they did we are able to hear from them all without them running over each other or having one or two dominant the time. At the end you are left feeling good as if old friends have dropped by for a chat. I wish William Hartnell had lived long enough to see to see what Doctor Who has become and how much the fans still love him and his Doctor. I pray that he, Jacqueline Hill, Peter Newman and all of the rest who has left us are at peace and know how much they are loved and missed. Oh, by the way, I was one of those who never knew that Hartnell had a wig on. Great job Ms. Markham!

Edited on 03/24/2012 6:50am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wildhoney66

[2]Mar 23, 2012
    • level: 13

well i agree it is a great story. this is one of the serial's i own on dvd actually. & though i haven't gotten around to watch it yet. i did watch some of the extra's. & i do agree that it is an under rated serial. though the costumes aren't one of the shows best i mean of the aliens. it is a great story.

actually i'm kinda surprised they haven't also for the dvd's anyways. colorized some of them. ya know like how they add CGI to some of the serials. but they still give you the option to watch the original which i like. i myself watch the CGI version over the original version really cause that's how the director & writer wanted this or that serial to actually look, but the budget either wasn't there or the technology wasn't there either.

anyways, this one is a bit like "The Keys of Marinus" which is another one of my favorites. but when i talk about it online to people. that's NOT always a favorite to them. so to each their own i guess ya know? he he.

pferreira86

[3]Mar 25, 2012
    • level: 17

archangelwho wrote:

As with many Doctor Who fans, especially those in the U.S.A. rather you are a fan of the new show or the original we have not seen many of the William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton stories until they were placed on VHS and then DVD. So when one of these come out on DVD it is like a new story to us. It gives us a chance to see something that we have only read about and for us older fans who never felt that we would ever get a chance to see them. To me that is worth the cost of the DVD. You younger fans should be thankful for the times you live in. Then there is the pleasure of watching it. Afterwards there are the DVD extras which I find myself watching more often than the story. I really enjoyed the Sensorites. I disagree with Toby Hadoke who state in the DVD extras "Looking for Peter" that the Sensorites did not show the good taste of being one of the stories wiped away. I think too often we judge TV and movies like we judge history, in todays terms. To be an honest judge of anything you have to take in the context of the times of the events.This story originally aired on 6-20 to 8-1-1964. As with all of (Got to go to a birthday dinner Will finish) (I'm back. Got in much later than we had plan.) the Doctor Who at the time the production staff was short on time to get the story completed and well short on the money needed to do it right even for the 1960s. Then there was the 1960 technology. The main storylne is great and there are several underlining stories which keep you alert. But even on the DVD commentary they stated that this was a story not remember fondly by the fans. I guess a different time?The "Looking for Peter"story is nice and sad. With so manyof those who has brought us Doctor Who have gone it is nice that they are not forgotten. The part I liked the best about the DVDsare the audio commentaries. For this one as nice as it would have been to hear more from Ms. Ford and Mr. Russell I'm gald that they were able to get so many from the story in. By changing them in and out as they did we are able to hear from them all without them running over each other or having one or two dominant the time. At the end you are left feeling good as if old friends have dropped by for a chat. I wish William Hartnell had lived long enough to see to see what Doctor Who has become and how much the fans still love him and his Doctor. I pray that he, Jacqueline Hill, Peter Newman and all of the rest who has left us are at peace and know how much they are loved and missed. Oh, by the way, I was one of those who never knew that Hartnell had a wig on. Great job Ms. Markham!

I don't think Toby Hadoke said he didn't like the story, just that it's not seen by fans as one of the really enjoyable ones. You have to understand that since the original broadcast of that story and also with it's release on VHS the fans over time have developed a fan opinion on what are good Doctor Who stories and which aren't. DW Magazine does polls on this and I think since the new series with the stories coming out on DVD those opinions have changed somewhat. Hadoke is offering the general fan opinion, not his own.

wildhoney66

[4]Mar 25, 2012

i understand that. but we each have our favorites as well. like i don't mind 'The Space Musuem" it's not a favorite of mine but i don't think it's THAT bad. while others can't stand it. & the 3rd "Doctor" though isn't my favorite & in some serials he's really unlikable regardless that he's stranded

on earth. & others love his time the best. but out of all of his time 'Inferno" is my favorite one. a lot of the time it's cause that's when it's they started watching the show. or if they are newer fans discovering the show their 1st doctor they ever watch is say the 3rd doctor. my 1st doctor is the 9th doctor but he isn't my favorite one really only cause he wasn't on the show long enough.

but i do agree with you on another thing as well. some of the lesser known ones that people didn't used to like like this one. they now like as they get older. pretty much in the way that the song 'Code of Silence" by 'Billy Joel" i HATED with a freaking passion as a kid. really only cause "Cindy Lauper" who i like, her 80's stuff anyways, yet she feels out of place on a "Billy Joel" song it wasn't until i was a freshman in high school years later that i was having girl trouble. & once i listened to the lyrics & could relate to it than i started to oddly love the song.

i think that has happens a LOT when it comes to some of the serials that we didn't used to love. there are already some 1st doctor serials that took me quite a few watches to enjoy more. & some i prolly won't ever like such as 'The Aztecs" some people love that one. but i just can't. though the audio commentary is a fun listen to. much more so than the actual serial. & "Marco Polo" pretty much bores me, it's over long as well.

another serial that it took me forever to like is "THe Power of the Daleks" i think it is? ya know the 12 part serial. it took me forever to like that one. cuz it's just so damn loooooooooooong! & sometimes it can drag on a bit. well anyways this my theory anyways. as for "Toby" i think you said his name is? he didn't say he didn't like the serial like you said. he said fans

pferreira86

[5]Apr 9, 2012

Yes exactly, to each his own I believe is the saying.

dcpgaus

[6]Apr 10, 2012
    • level: 16
    I just wish that somebody with some money could arrange for some of the older stories to get a "make-over". Fix all the bad special-effects and fake-looking monsters and background scenery! I was watching the 'Kinda' story with Doctor No. 5. Gosh the snake was awful looking - so plastic and unreal. And there are so many stories where the gun shoots one way and doesn't hit the target properly. And in the 'Timeflight' with the Master/Doctor No. 5 the monsters are so badly constructed and the actors can hardly move in their costumes. All these things could be fixed and the audience would enjoy the story more. I like the Aztecs - I'm talking about the book - its a good story and Barbara has a great role in it.

pferreira86

[7]Apr 10, 2012

dcpgaus wrote:
    I just wish that somebody with some money could arrange for some of the older stories to get a "make-over". Fix all the bad special-effects and fake-looking monsters and background scenery! I was watching the 'Kinda' story with Doctor No. 5. Gosh the snake was awful looking - so plastic and unreal. And there are so many stories where the gun shoots one way and doesn't hit the target properly. And in the 'Timeflight' with the Master/Doctor No. 5 the monsters are so badly constructed and the actors can hardly move in their costumes. All these things could be fixed and the audience would enjoy the story more. I like the Aztecs - I'm talking about the book - its a good story and Barbara has a great role in it.
    ...well thank goodness for the DVD CGI options. The snake looked great in Kinda now, more realistic!Wink

archangelwho

[8]Apr 14, 2012

dcpgaus wrote:

As we get closer to the Doctor's 14th life there is a lot of back and fore as to had to keep the show going. I had suggested as an option to redo the older ones. Keep he storyline the same and even the lines. Keep the cast make up the same and just do it with updated tech. This would also allow us who never got a chance to see the lost ones to see them and a way to show those stoies that were never completed or not done at all.

wildhoney66

[9]Apr 15, 2012

if they did that, fans would give them HELL over it. because they'd bitch about them changing the show when it wasn't needed. oh i'm NOT saying all the fans would do this, but a great number would. so that's why when they DO add the CGI on some serials i love how they give you the option to watch either version. plus i think that keeps the fans who want the show to stay like it is happy.

which is prolly why nobody's ever done anything you suggested.

pferreira86

[10]Apr 22, 2012

archangelwho wrote:

dcpgaus wrote:

As we get closer to the Doctor's 14th life there is a lot of back and fore as to had to keep the show going. I had suggested as an option to redo the older ones. Keep he storyline the same and even the lines. Keep the cast make up the same and just do it with updated tech. This would also allow us who never got a chance to see the lost ones to see them and a way to show those stoies that were never completed or not done at all.

I don't see a reason to remake Doctor Who stories. It's understandable that the series has become a Marvel/DC comics universe which might need to be reset but the fans would never allow it. Look at the recent reaction to David Yates comments on remaking Doctor Who as a movie. There was an uproar and it probably wasn't too much of a problem back in 1965 when the Peter Cushing movies was made as the series was still fairly new. However, the series today has so many types of fans remaking stories the way Marvel or DC have I don't think would be allowed.

archangelwho

[11]Apr 27, 2012

pferreira86 wrote:

archangelwho wrote:

dcpgaus wrote:

I don't see a reason to remake Doctor Who stories. It's understandable that the series has become a Marvel/DC comics universe which might need to be reset but the fans would never allow it. Look at the recent reaction to David Yates comments on remaking Doctor Who as a movie. There was an uproar and it probably wasn't too much of a problem back in 1965 when the Peter Cushing movies was made as the series was still fairly new. However, the series today has so many types of fans remaking stories the way Marvel or DC have I don't think would be allowed.

What if we used to term redo rather than remake. Same line, same type of cast but changing but the tech and the amount of money. The stories are not changed even one word.

archangelwho

[12]Apr 27, 2012

pferreira86 wrote:

archangelwho wrote:

dcpgaus wrote:

What if we use the term redo rather than remake. Nothing changes. Not one word, not one scene. Same type of cast. Same settings. Just better tech and more money.

sistakia33

[13]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 1

I've yet to see a do-over of a series keep to the original script. Way too many people want to put their own ideas in and then you end up with junk.

pferreira86

[14]Apr 29, 2012

The old format of 25 minute episodes could never work in today's television. Audience attention span is at an all time low at the moment.Foot in mouth

archangelwho

[15]May 1, 2012

pferreira86 wrote:

The old format of 25 minute episodes could never work in today's television. Audience attention span is at an all time low at the moment.Foot in mouth

I agree that the audience of today would not make it 4 weeks to find out the ending. Maybe two 50 minute episodes that way it would only take two weeks. Unsure how you would run all of the ads.

pferreira86

[16]May 6, 2012

archangelwho wrote:

pferreira86 wrote:

I agree that the audience of today would not make it 4 weeks to find out the ending. Maybe two 50 minute episodes that way it would only take two weeks. Unsure how you would run all of the ads.

Well thankfully we're lucky the BBC doesn't do ads.Wink

archangelwho

[17]May 8, 2012

pferreira86 wrote:

archangelwho wrote:

pferreira86 wrote:

SurprisedReally?!! SurprisedHow unAmerican. Hi-hoTongue outLaughing

wildhoney66

[18]May 10, 2012

i thought the BBC showed commericals? if they do only air some & NOT like america, that honestly wouldn't surprise me that ONLY america shows to many damn commericals. by the way guys. i bought 2 more dvd's of "Doctor Who" the ones that i got are "The Three Doctors" & one of my personal favorites "The Tomb of the Cybermen" so now that's 2 "Patrick Troughtan" serials i own on dvd! the other being "War Games"

yea i know he's also in 'The Three Doctors" but it's in the 3rd Doctors era. both are the NEW Special Editions that just came out. not to long ago.

pferreira86

[19]May 20, 2012

archangelwho wrote:

pferreira86 wrote:

archangelwho wrote:

pferreira86 wrote:

SurprisedReally?!! SurprisedHow unAmerican. Hi-hoTongue outLaughing

That my friend is what it's like to live in the UK. None of this BBC America rubbish, chopping up episodes and running ads.Wink

wildhoney66

[20]May 20, 2012

they have to show some commericals i'm sure. i can't see the current show being 25 minutes either way. 35 minutes yes. if no ads are there. but regardless isn't the current show longer?