Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

The Sensorites

archangelwho

[21]May 21, 2012
    • level: 18

[/QUOTE]Well thankfully we're lucky the BBC doesn't do ads.Wink

[/QUOTE] SurprisedReally?!! SurprisedHow unAmerican. Hi-hoTongue outLaughing

[/QUOTE]That my friend is what it's like to live in the UK. None of this BBC America rubbish, chopping up episodes and running ads.Wink

[/QUOTE] The sad part is it seem that BBC America has become more America and little BBC unless what is shown is the average BBC show. I keep looking for the old BBC shows we use to get on ETV. Now that I have Netflix I don't have to look. Most of the old BBC shows are there. Sorry about getting off subjectSurprised

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wildhoney66

[22]May 21, 2012
    • level: 13

oh i don't mind. as for "BBC America" they aren't that bad when it comes to commericals compared to say CBS. damn that channel puts a LOT of those on! they aren't the only channel of course. but that's the channel i watch the MOST to be honest.

archangelwho

[23]May 26, 2012
    • level: 18

I had the audio commentary for The Keys of Marinus on while I closed down my room for the summer. Carole Ann Ford refered to The Sensorites over and over as the one show where she felt that she had a real part.

wildhoney66

[24]May 26, 2012

she's right if ya really think about it. she does have a pretty big part in it. because if you look at the other ones she's in, well this is the only where we they rely on her. the other ones she's like ok grandfather. or she's being rescued or gets captured. hell even in her last serial she's pretty much a secondary character. & her being asked to stay there kind of comes out of nowhere. so does her romance with the young man.

& her talking to the doctor what in the last 5 or 10 minutes.

pferreira86

[25]May 27, 2012
    • level: 17

wildhoney66 wrote:

they have to show some commericals i'm sure. i can't see the current show being 25 minutes either way. 35 minutes yes. if no ads are there. but regardless isn't the current show longer?

In the UK the BBC doesn't do ads. Well of course it advertises or previews upcoming BBC made shows but it doesn't run ads external to the BBC like car ads, sport ads, etc. It makes it's money from TV licence fees we have to pay every year so we get full 45 minute Doctor Who with no interruptions. It's always been like that. ITV on the other hand does run ads. BBC is the only network that doesn't do this practice.

Edited on 05/27/2012 11:21am
    Edited 2 total times.

wildhoney66

[26]May 27, 2012

it'd sure as hell be nice if america also did that practice as well. while BBC america does do them it's not like i said as bad as some channels. it would be fantastic to be honest if they cut back on the ads! i'd rather see a longer episode to this or that show. than the non stop as you call them ads.

pferreira86

[27]Jun 5, 2012

wildhoney66 wrote:

it'd sure as hell be nice if america also did that practice as well. while BBC america does do them it's not like i said as bad as some channels. it would be fantastic to be honest if they cut back on the ads! i'd rather see a longer episode to this or that show. than the non stop as you call them ads.

As you probably know the reason networks run so many commercials is because that's where they get their revenue from.

wildhoney66

[28]Jun 7, 2012

oh i know that. but i don't think they will be losing money hence the station will close down if they cut back on the commericals. the fans of whatever will be happier. & no one will be getting as pissed off when they put a commerical every damn 5 seconds! at least that's how it feels sometimes.

pferreira86

[29]Jun 10, 2012

I remember when Season 2 of TV series 24 first aired, I believe it was America where this happened in which there was this huge uproar as the season premiere was lengthened by about 15 minutes so that the shows car manufacture Ford could show commercials. At the time reading about that amazed me!

wildhoney66

[30]Jun 10, 2012

why am i NOT surprised? these companies ARE NOT going to go broke if they cut back on commericals. it's terrible man how the started out back in the 50's to having shows be 55 or 56 minutes well ok maybe not that long. but they were over 50 minutes long. at least 52 or 53 minutes. look at some of the old "Perry Mason" shows from the 50's man. that was cut down down at some point.

i dunno which decade to about 45 minutes. ok. now it's down to at least 42 minutes sometimes don't you think that's really stupid ? or is this just me?

pferreira86

[31]Jun 17, 2012

wildhoney66 wrote:

why am i NOT surprised? these companies ARE NOT going to go broke if they cut back on commericals. it's terrible man how the started out back in the 50's to having shows be 55 or 56 minutes well ok maybe not that long. but they were over 50 minutes long. at least 52 or 53 minutes. look at some of the old "Perry Mason" shows from the 50's man. that was cut down down at some point.

i dunno which decade to about 45 minutes. ok. now it's down to at least 42 minutes sometimes don't you think that's really stupid ? or is this just me?

I know shows in the 90s ran for 45 minutes. I think that's come down to 40 minutes perhaps? That might explain why fewer TV shows today have TV intros. It's a dying breed which needs to be continued otherwise what gets you into the mood to watch a TV series?

wildhoney66

[32]Jun 17, 2012

i noticed that as well. my dad who can fall asleep on the drop of a hat. he's always been like that. he may be 61 now but he's always been able to fall asleep pretty damn fast. anyways when he watches some tv show any tv show that's on say CBS he'll fall asleep at times during the commericals & won't wake back up. his excuse? i get bored watching these damn commericals. as for me if i'm not taping it,

i as we call it in my family flix. it's a different term for channel surfing. but it's the same thing. i don't if anyone else uses it. but nobody i know uses it as far as i know. one thing i DO miss is growing up there would be some funny ass commericals every now & than that'd have me in stiches from laughing so much.

now all of them are stupid commericals like that one for i think T-mobile that was on not to long ago that THANKFULLY stopped airing where this mother & daughter were picking a phone up. the girl who was about 18 was moving 4 miles away from their house. & the entire commericals was them crying about it. like i said a stupid commerical. i have seen some funny ones from the UK but i don't know how bad theirs have got either.