TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

Two races of Cybermen

archangelwho

[1]Jan 12, 2011
    • level: 18

In Doctor Who 1963 the Cybermen from from the planet of Telos or Mundas. On Doctor Who 2005 they are from an alternative earth. I wonder how they would react if they every met?

Edited on 01/12/2011 1:29pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

archangelwho

[2]Jan 28, 2011
    nomad-70 posted:
    In The Next Doctor it was indicated that some of the Cybus Cybermen from Doomsday had escaped the void and fallen through cracks in time. What if some had fallen back in time to Mondas and been the basis of the creation of the original race of Cybermen.

It's unlikely to ever be shown on screen but would provide a way to reconcile the two different races into one.
    I like this idea but would still like to see a Cyberman war. What you think?

archangelwho

[3]Apr 13, 2011

To me the old Cybermen are more believable. (I'm not talking about their looks, It is the storyline.)The new ones are just nip, cut and tuck and you have a Cybermen. The old ones was a combination of drugs and surgery. It was a long, detail process that even had some rejections. Yes, the old special effects looked cheap and fake. Yes, the pictures were poor which added the the cheap look. Yes the new ones have the flash entertainment that today fams seem to want/need. The old ones developed a storyline with details. The new ones rushed though. Give me the slower stories with a real life lie storyline over nip, cut, tuck and flash anytime.

pferreira86

[6]Apr 17, 2011

In Earthshock youcould actually see their mouths implying they were once human.

Edited on 04/17/2011 9:51am

archangelwho

[7]Jun 22, 2013

In the season 7 part 2 story "Nightmare in Silver it look to me that these Cybermen are the ones from Mondas/Telos and not the ones from the parallel Earth. It also seem to be the way the new team is closing the book on the Mondas Cybermen leaving only the parallel Earht ones left.

pferreira86

[8]Jun 23, 2013

archangelwho wrote:

In the season 7 part 2 story "Nightmare in Silver it look to me that these Cybermen are the ones from Mondas/Telos and not the ones from the parallel Earth. It also seem to be the way the new team is closing the book on the Mondas Cybermen leaving only the parallel Earht ones left.

Those are definitely supposed to be the original Cybermen, definitely.

archangelwho

[9]Jun 23, 2013

So does this leave us with only one race of Cybermen or will we ever see a show down between the two races?

pferreira86

[10]Jun 30, 2013

Depends on the producer in charge.

archangelwho

[11]Jul 14, 2013

And if the Cybus Cybermen are all locked in the void could this be the end of the Cybermen over all?

archangelwho

[12]Jul 18, 2013

Do you think the fans will ever become tired of the Daleks and Cybermem being killed off/locked away just to return? This is a carry over from the 1963 show and to be honest it is getting old for me. Yet, other than that one very poor story with Tennamt the Time Lords don't seem to be able to get out. I miss having the Time Lords around in the role they played in the1963 show.

dcpgaus

[13]Jul 22, 2013
    • level: 16

I find most stories with Daleks and Cybermen boring. Its got to do with the "character" of these creatures. Daleks want to exterminate and Cyberman think they're the most logicial. Thats all they do in most episodes. And I miss seeing facial expressions on actors - this adds something to the stories. The better stories for the Daleks has a human character as their mouthpiece. When Davros was introduced in "Genesis', it definitely added to the story and gave the Doctor somebody to have a conversation with.

I always liked the Timelords in the earlier series. They don't interfere but then use the Doctor whenever they want. I like the duplicity! The couple of earlier stories set on Gallifrey were good, especially the 'Deadly Assassin'. I liked the continuation of characters/events in the 'Five Doctors' and 'Arc'. But the Timelords with Tennant was a poor story - not helped with the return of a crazy Master. It would be great to see a story with Susan, Romana or even Leela. Yes, the Timelords are all supposed to be dead/gone, but the Master reappeared - why not have an excuse for the others to show up. The new series just keeps making up reasons as they go along, so I say go for it completely!

Edited on 07/22/2013 10:18am