TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

Which companion would you pick to replace Sarah Jane in the Sarah Jane Adventure

archangelwho

[1]May 8, 2012
    • level: 18

Has to be one where the actor who played the companion is still alive. I would think Jamie, Zoe, Jo Grant or maybe Ace if she has gotten over blowing up everything. 2005 I think Donna would be a great choice. The Doctor could find a way to restore her and be his hand picked choice to carry on the fight.

Edited on 05/08/2012 12:30pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dcpgaus

[2]May 10, 2012
    • level: 16
    Very hard to answer this question - considering that Lis is no longer with us. Maybe they should leave the series alone.

archangelwho

[3]May 11, 2012

dcpgaus wrote:
    Very hard to answer this question - considering that Lis is no longer with us. Maybe they should leave the series alone.

The thing is that there is so little good sci-fi these days and even less that you can watch with your kids. All of my kids, ages 4, 7, 9 are sci-fi fans. I hate that we lost one of the few shows that we could watch together.

pferreira86

[4]May 20, 2012

archangelwho wrote:

dcpgaus wrote:

The thing is that there is so little good sci-fi these days and even less that you can watch with your kids. All of my kids, ages 4, 7, 9 are sci-fi fans. I hate that we lost one of the few shows that we could watch together.

Shows rarely do well when the lead actor is replaced.

dcpgaus

[5]May 28, 2012
    • level: 16
    In Australia, they've shown the 'School Reunion' Doctor Who episode again with David, Billie and Lis. Again it shows how Lis could turn average lines and make them great. Her performance in this story was amazing. I like to remember her this way - and not by being replaced in her tv show.

archangelwho

[6]May 29, 2012

dcpgaus wrote:
    In Australia, they've shown the 'School Reunion' Doctor Who episode again with David, Billie and Lis. Again it shows how Lis could turn average lines and make them great. Her performance in this story was amazing. I like to remember her this way - and not by being replaced in her tv show.

I understand.There is a part of me that hate it that I'm even thinking about replacing her. Disloyal even. But I keep going back to the lack of sci-fi that I can watch with my children. I guess I'm thnking more about myself.

pferreira86

[7]Jun 5, 2012

archangelwho wrote:

dcpgaus wrote:

I understand.There is a part of me that hate it that I'm even thinking about replacing her. Disloyal even. But I keep going back to the lack of sci-fi that I can watch with my children. I guess I'm thnking more about myself.

Perhaps the lack of sci-fi you speak of isn't something Doctor Who should have to make up for. I think more original sci-fi should be created. The 1990s was good at that.

archangelwho

[8]Jun 5, 2012

[/QUOTE]Perhaps the lack of sci-fi you speak of isn't something Doctor Who should have to make up for. I think more original sci-fi should be created. The 1990s was good at that.

[/QUOTE] I feel sci-fi is going the way of Westerns. If those who are not already doing them don't then noone will. Just check out theSYFY network.

pferreira86

[9]Jun 10, 2012

archangelwho wrote:

Perhaps the lack of sci-fi you speak of isn't something Doctor Who should have to make up for. I think more original sci-fi should be created. The 1990s was good at that.

[/QUOTE] I feel sci-fi is going the way of Westerns. If those who are not already doing them don't then noone will. Just check out theSYFY network.

[/QUOTE]I think sci-fi in the classic sense is disappearing which is incredibly sad. I think from that we can all see why the SYFY Channel changed their name from the Sci-Fi Channel. They don't do sci-fi any more! Ha, ha!Sealed

archangelwho

[10]Jun 11, 2012

pferreira86 wrote:

archangelwho wrote:

I feel sci-fi is going the way of Westerns. If those who are not already doing them don't then noone will. Just check out theSYFY network.

[/QUOTE]I think sci-fi in the classic sense is disappearing which is incredibly sad. I think from that we can all see why the SYFY Channel changed their name from the Sci-Fi Channel. They don't do sci-fi any more! Ha, ha!Sealed

[/QUOTE] Agree abd saden by it. I had had so much hope when it started and look where it has become. Cry

pferreira86

[11]Jun 17, 2012

archangelwho wrote:

pferreira86 wrote:

archangelwho wrote:

I feel sci-fi is going the way of Westerns. If those who are not already doing them don't then noone will. Just check out theSYFY network.

I think sci-fi in the classic sense is disappearing which is incredibly sad. I think from that we can all see why the SYFY Channel changed their name from the Sci-Fi Channel. They don't do sci-fi any more! Ha, ha!Sealed

[/QUOTE] Agree abd saden by it. I had had so much hope when it started and look where it has become. Cry

[/QUOTE]Why even call themselves the SYFY Channel? That immediately raises expectations the channel shows sci-fi. But I don't feel Doctor Who needs more spin-offs to fill the drought of sci-fi at the moment. Its up to other networks to take the gamble. We can only hope that the success of Doctor Who in the USA will inspire other networks to create other shows in the same style.

Edited on 06/17/2012 2:55pm

archangelwho

[12]Jun 18, 2012

But you have to wonder if the others know how. There have been great shows like Firefly and very good shows like Space Above and Beyond on major networks that did not make it pass the first season.

pferreira86

[13]Jun 25, 2012

archangelwho wrote:

But you have to wonder if the others know how. There have been great shows like Firefly and very good shows like Space Above and Beyond on major networks that did not make it pass the first season.

I think the problem at the moment and the reason for a lack of sci-fi is that reality TV, crime series and supernatural series are seen as 'safe' shows for viewing figures so networks will invest money into those types of things. Why risk the money on something different?

archangelwho

[14]Jun 26, 2012

pferreira86 wrote:

archangelwho wrote:

I think the problem at the moment and the reason for a lack of sci-fi is that reality TV, crime series and supernatural series are seen as 'safe' shows for viewing figures so networks will invest money into those types of things. Why risk the money on something different?

There is also the high cost. Fans today will not put up with low budget shows like Doctor Who, Star Terk and Lost in Space as we did in the past. I guess every thing goes in cycles. I just hope that I around and can enjoyit when (if) sci-fi returns.

pferreira86

[15]Jul 2, 2012

archangelwho wrote:

pferreira86 wrote:

archangelwho wrote:

There is also the high cost. Fans today will not put up with low budget shows like Doctor Who, Star Terk and Lost in Space as we did in the past. I guess every thing goes in cycles. I just hope that I around and can enjoyit when (if) sci-fi returns.

Yes, all those shows you mentioned were brought back as big budget movies, with mixed results.