Doctor Who (1963) Forums

BBC (ended 1989)

Which companion(s) do you feel took a major role in events?

archangelwho

[1]Jan 14, 2012
    • level: 18

Can be one over all or broken down per Doctor.

1st. Ian followed closely by Steven2nd Jamie 3rd Liz Shaw 4th Leela 5th Nyssa 6th Peri 7th Ace 8th None 9th Rose (only companion)

10th Donna 11th Rory

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wildhoney66

[2]Jan 14, 2012
    • level: 13

i dunno honestly, i haven't seen the whole series yet. i'm only on 'Carnival Of Monsters' which isn't not that great so far. i'm only on Episode #2 mind you.

pferreira86

[3]Jan 15, 2012
    • level: 17

Don't worry, things kick into high gear for the next story Frontier in Space.

wildhoney66

[4]Jan 16, 2012

yes "Carnival of monsters" was Terrible. i am now on 'Frontier in Space" having so far only watched Part 1. & i LOVED IT! things well actually happend. i gotta say though i do love the charcter Joe. this companion unlike many of the ones that they had in the past. & the future after (1973) didn't really have a brain. but Joe is one smart woman.

it's kinda like the companion "Zoe" who also love. in short a strong character.

dcpgaus

[5]Jan 20, 2012
    • level: 16

I thought Sarah usually had an important role in some stories. I'll never forget her in 'Brain of Morbius' - where she is blind but overhears that Solon and Cordo are planning to have the Doctor killed - and she tries to help by escaping. Most people would just sit in a corner and cry about being blind - but blind Sarah (some would say that she is crazy) tries to find the Doctor on a foreign planet to stop him being killed! In another story 'Pyramid of Mars', Sarah is given the job to shoot at the pyramid and blow it up - a job that usually would fall to the Doctor. And who can forget Sarah's speech to the Doctor about killing the new Daleks before they terrorize the world in 'Genesis'. This was an incredible speech and one that has hardly ever been bettered.

Of course, in the new series, Rose started the trend of the companion being heavily involved in most stories.

Edited on 01/20/2012 5:36am

wildhoney66

[6]Jan 21, 2012

i agree with on all accounts. i haven't seen that many from her time on the show to be honest. as for the current version. i don't know why & i''ve said this numerous times people STILL call it the NEW show. it's been on since (2005) for god's sake. just call it the current version.

when that goes off the air at some point & we get another 'Doctor Who" show what's this one current version going to be called "Classic Who" ?

anyways sorry that just bugs me that's all. there are i think nearly 100 episodes now of the current version. i hardly think anything is new about it anymore. we have gone through countless companions already. & we are on our 3rd Doctor so far.

anyways i love the new show. i also love the old one as well. for me i don't really think either is better than the other cause sometimes i'm in the mood to watch the current version. & sometimes i feel like watching an old serial from the classic era. plus i like how in the new show the companions are more part of the show than some of the companions were in the old show. going back to "Ian & Barbra" the era of the 1st doctor while we didn't have arcs with them in it. we did have character development. & Ian went from being a teacher to some kind of hero.

& that's just that era of the show. on the current show "Rory" went from being a useless character that i didn't like. who really didn't do anything. to a hero in a way. & is a strong character. the idea of a married couple in the Tardis is a nice one actually. it's different. i think in either shows some will love certain era's of it more than others. some prefer "Rose" & some love "Donna" in short people have different tastes. & even on the original show we had weak companions & strong ones as well. i'm on the "Planet of the Daleks" now with the 3rd Doctor. &

"Jo" is a Strong Character. the one before that i thought was a terrible companion. & she really as i've said here in the past didn't really feel like an assistant at all. or companion whatever ya want to call it? & Jo Does. & so does "Sarah Jane' as well. who doesn't love her?

BeauJesse

[7]Apr 25, 2012
    • level: 1

Ace & Seventh Doctor

main reasons?

1.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtUMnn0-4zw

&

2.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F_U2BM7sbY

I'd like to see her come back

archangelwho

[8]Apr 27, 2012

BeauJesse wrote:

Ace & Seventh Doctor

main reasons?

1.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtUMnn0-4zw

&

2.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F_U2BM7sbY

I'd like to see her come back

She would have been a good one to replace Sarah Jane on the Sarah Jane Adventures.

pferreira86

[9]Apr 29, 2012

Ha, probably not a good idea. Ace wasn't exactly a pacifist like Sarah Jane. Seeing a show with kids being taught the artistic expression of blowing things up would raise some chuckles but I don't think the BBC would want to promote that ideology or spend all that money just so I could have a laugh. It would be amusing though.

archangelwho

[10]May 1, 2012

pferreira86 wrote:

Ha, probably not a good idea. Ace wasn't exactly a pacifist like Sarah Jane. Seeing a show with kids being taught the artistic expression of blowing things up would raise some chuckles but I don't think the BBC would want to promote that ideology or spend all that money just so I could have a laugh. It would be amusing though.

After her time with the Doctor and her growing older she may have ease up some.

pferreira86

[11]May 6, 2012

archangelwho wrote:

pferreira86 wrote:

After her time with the Doctor and her growing older she may have ease up some.

Y'know in the Virgin New Adventures Series books Ace eventually becomes some freedom fighter who always carries a weapon around to shoot things. No joke, Sophie Aldred even did photos for the novel covers in the new look Ace. I've always thought it a terrible idea and hope that if Sophie Aldred returned to Who that her character wasn't written that way. It goes against the whole point of her character growth.