Doctor Who (1963)

The Time Warrior, Part One

Aired Saturday 5:15 PM Dec 15, 1973 on BBC

• Mr Potato Head!

British research scientists are disappearing, and an intrepid young journalist sets off to investigate... My favourite companion had left the show: how would Sarah Jane Smith shape up? Very well, as it happens, although the magic of the relationship between Pertwee and Manning was lost, and it wouldn't be until next season that the strongest of all Doctor-companion relationship would be established. We get to meet the Sontaran Linx, a design aesthetic so memorable that it was stolen by Star Trek: Voyager 20 years later. We also learn the name of the Doctor's home planet, Gallifrey, for the first time.
  • Season 11 of Doctor Who has a new look with the famous diamond Doctor Who logo. This seqence leads up to the Tom Baker era of Doctor Who. The Time Warrior is a classic four-part adventure in its own right. It also introduces Elisabeth Sladen as Sarh Ja

The Time Warrior is a exciting four-part adventure. The Doctor travels to London in the past to defeat the Sontarans. Sarah Jane Smith travels with the Doctor, and discovers that he is a Time Lord, and a good friend, as well as a good man. The Doctor and Sarah continued their adventures after Jon Pertwee regenerated into Tom Baker. The adventures were awesome in Doctor Who, and that is one reason I love Doctor Who. Long live the Doctor and his companions and friends and enemies alike. Doctor Who is a true classic. Doctor Who is a great program. Great.
  • Tells you a lot about the relationship the doc has with his companions. This is the first Sarah Jane one and you can see the doctor's grudging respect for her. Also a good historic scenario.

I absolutely love this episode. The doc works out that Sarah Jane is pretending to be her aunt Lavinia by tell her that she is far too young to have written her thesis. Irongron and his men are also fantastic, great acting performances from the whole cast. The Sontarans are also introduced here - a militaristic race of clones who live for the war they are having with the Rutans. Landing in 11th century England, they give Irongron weapons far ahead of his time and hope to leave Earth and continue the war. I know this is only the first episode but it is, in my opinion totally pivotal.