Dog Whisperer Forums

National Geographic Wild (ended 2012)

Has Cesar ever met his match?

cherrytree34

[1]Oct 1, 2007
    • level: 13
    I know sometimes that in the previews before the show, they try to make it sound like the dog is too far gone for Cesar to help, but has there ever been an episode in which Cesar really said he couldn't do anything? If there was, what was the problem?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

OmegaWolf747

[2]Nov 7, 2007
    • level: 2
    In his book, Cesar's Way, he mentioned two pit bulls he wasn't able to help because they had been abused too badly.

goku262002

[3]Jan 9, 2009
    • level: 5
    i think Season 4 Episode 5 "reggie" was a lost cause. they wanted to tame her but she wouldn't so ill Cesar could do was just neuter her.

dizzyun

[4]Jul 7, 2009
    • level: 3
    goku262002 wrote:
    i think Season 4 Episode 5 "reggie" was a lost cause. they wanted to tame her but she wouldn't so ill Cesar could do was just neuter her.

agree!

Siegeanderson

[5]Aug 28, 2009

Hi Cherry,

Where Cesar has problems - without exception, is when the dog's owner doesnt have the skill, determination or commitment to continue the solution that Cesar implimented to change that dog's behavior.

In the early days, for example, there was a story about two agressive minpins. When Cesar went back to do the followup story, he found out the owners had simply made the decision to euthanize one of the minpins without contacting Cesar for additional help. There is a more recent story where another owner clearly affirms that Cesar did change the behavior - Cotton. The owner however admits to an inability to sustain that pattern needed by the owner, so she had his teeth filed down.

Many times now, Cesar offer a "trade down" change out the owners more challenging dog for one from his pack that has been turned into a good dog.

snakeboy69

[6]Oct 10, 2009
    Cotton's owner should have rather given the dog to someone willing to put in the effort to get the correct result. Filing down the dogs teeth is animal cruelty in my opinion and I have ZERO tolerance for it.

Trident

[7]Nov 30, 2010
    • level: 4

I've read somewhere that during his entire career Cesar has known only three dogs he couldn't help.

When it comes to 'the only sollution' being neutering a dog, i don't think it's really accurate, as to my knowledge Cesar always recommends spaying or neutering your dog anyway, regardless of whether it's the problem.

ssjain

[8]Dec 12, 2010
    • level: 35

Spaying and neutering is a good idea (provided the owner is not going to breed the dog), both medically and can help when working with behavior issues. It takes the influence of hormones out of the training equation.

-Joshua-

[9]Dec 15, 2013
    • level: 4
    Yes. There was a dog he couldn't get to eat. Turns out later in the show they said the dog died from something medical. I think it was a tumor on the spine or something like that. I thought that was weird because Cesar took the dog to a vet, but they didn't find anything wrong.