Dog Whisperer Forums

National Geographic Wild (ended 2012)

Just Curious

lkoong2004

[1]Nov 7, 2006
    • level: 7
    When did everyone start watching the show and what makes you come back to it?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lamirona

[2]Nov 24, 2006
    • level: 5

It was recommended to me by friends who know me well enough to know that I'd love it since it is about dogs.  I keep watching it because I love to see the difference that can be made in a dog by utilizing these very common sense methods and thinking.  There is a lot of controversy about Cesar's methods, but I think his success and the fact that people talk about his show demonstrates that it works and has saved a lot of dogs.

lamirona

UndeniablyNikki

[3]Jan 18, 2007
    I don't know, I think I started watching about a year ago. I think it was after South Park spoofed him, but I just heard about it. I didn't see the South Park episode until after I started watching Cesar. My parents were watching it so that's how I discovered the show.

I like it because it's funny at times, as well as informative. I like his methods because I used to study Psychology. He uses Classical and Operant Conditioning, and these methods are basic and make sense. I also like seeing the different kinds of dogs that people have.

hfenton

[4]Jan 27, 2007

i started to watch it about a year ago. after my dog ran away, he was very aggressive, and i wanted to know how to make him not bite and bark at people. to bad i never found him or saw him again. and when i first watched the show it was by accident. i was gonna just watch it to pick on it. but then i found out i liked it alot. i like to see Ceaser handle the cases and see how he can make the dog behave in such a short time being with them. some cases i've seen were kind off pointless though. 

Siegeanderson

[5]Mar 23, 2007
    • level: 3

I had been watching it for the entertainment.  Little did I know that I would be using it to rescue and then successfully rehabilitate a red-zone feral dog that was about to be put down by animal control. 

I had been trying his techniques on my two  dogs that I had been humanizing for about 12 years.  With the rescue dog I HAD to use Cesar's way 24/7 or not succeed!  What a difference using Cesar's way made!

Those two old dogs have passed on now ,and every rescue that is brought in, is introduced and socialized using Cesar's techniques. Several foster dogs have been re-homed.  Every dog I have worked with, has been about to be put down becuase it was deemed - unfixable!  What a legacy he leaves!

OmegaWolf747

[6]Nov 7, 2007
    • level: 2
    I just stumbled across it back when I still had my Comcast Digital cable and thought it was so cool.

YourMomma59

[7]Mar 7, 2008
    • level: 11

lkoong2004 wrote:
    When did everyone start watching the show and what makes you come back to it?

I did it by accident. I had to have a copy of Season 3 for another reason and got bored one day and decided to watch it (I'm a cat person). I love Cesar's passion for dogs. After catching up (started with Season 3, then watched 2 and 1), I realized I could use it on my cat. I was amazed that it worked!

The cat had started to get under my feet when I was feeding her and I have some balance issues. I started using Cesar's techniques on making sure the cat was calm submissive (the cat doesn't actually get submissive - more calm and I don't give a hoot...she is a cat after all) before I did the whole food thing which included picking up her dish and washing it, getting her supplement smashed up in the food and finally putting it on the floor. I also started making her be calm submissive after setting down the food. She learned not to approach the dish until I told her it was ok.

I used the bite thing on her neck when she started to claw the furniture. That was the biggest surprise for me! That whole fingers on the neck thing really worked on my cat who clawed whatever she wanted to. Kitten has a ways to go and I do have to reinforce when she gets too excited, but I love the change in her. She is able to have more respect now, but we're still so close that she'll crawl up into my lap and lay herself over my shoulder like a baby when its appropriate.

froggysfriend

[8]Aug 22, 2008
    • level: 15

I came across this show when we got our HD TV - National Geographic is one of the new channels that came in our HD package and I stumbled across Cesar one day.

I don't have any pets whatsoever - OK well I do have some stuffed friemds I just enjoy the show, and I think that Cesar's techniques - being the calm assertive pack leader - can work with human interactions also.

Edited on 08/22/2008 8:43am

MajLorne

[9]Sep 25, 2008
    • level: 21
    Maybe 2 years ago and to be honest I really liked the first 3 seasons, but the recent ones I haven't watched much of them. My personal favs are the episodes about german shepherds. [I just find that kind of dog adorable, don't have one, but one day hope to have one.]

spongebobs1fan

[10]Feb 14, 2009
    • level: 21
    I saw it when I was 5