We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Cast Your Own Dolls!

Vesper-Lynd

[1]Sep 8, 2009
    • level: 18

Well, you can't exactly give the character a personality or anything like that, but we DO have the rest of the alphabet to give an actor to! Who knows? You might even predict future cast members. (It's just a little game. Be nice.)

Bravo- Emmy Rossum

Charlie- David Anders

Delta

Foxtrot- Rachel Nichols

Golf

Hotel

India- Kristen Bell

Juliet- Alyson Hannigan

Kilo

Lima- Sierra Boggess

November (2.0?)

Oscar

Papa

Quebec-

Romeo

Uniform

X-Ray

Yankee

Zulu

* Also keep in mind the guy from Echoes signed on.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

PiperPrueLover4

[2]Sep 8, 2009
    Where did you get these names from? People said something about the Active names being a thing to do with the military, so is this like a pre-set universal list of names?

Also, I don't think Alyson Hannigan would make a good Doll, as much as I love her.
    Edited on 09/08/2009 6:47pm

lazyjay

[3]Sep 8, 2009
    • level: 30
    PiperPrueLover4 wrote:
    Where did you get these names from? People said something about the Active names being a thing to do with the military, so is this like a pre-set universal list of names?

NATO phonetic alphabet

michael_LB92

[4]Sep 9, 2009
    • level: 24
    I'd love to see Kristen Bell in Dollhouse. I think she'd be awesome.

I reckon it'd be interesting to see an "older" or "younger" version of the Dolls. Like, Courteney Cox Arquette (who isn't very old, but she's not in her 20's like almost all the dolls we've seen) and that little girl in Epitaph One. I reckon it would make the Dollhouse darker.

Plus, it's not like every client would be about sex. Surely they could use people from all ages, and clients would also be after people from other ages.

Oh, and Maggie Grace (Shannon from LOST, the daughter from TAKEN). She's awesome.

buffyTVSrox

[5]Sep 9, 2009
    • level: 33
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    I reckon it'd be interesting to see an "older" or "younger" version of the Dolls. Like, Courteney Cox Arquette (who isn't very old, but she's not in her 20's like almost all the dolls we've seen) and that little girl in Epitaph One. I reckon it would make the Dollhouse darker.

I agree that there should be a few dolls who are a little older. I disagree on having children dolls. Joss has already stated regarding child dolls, "We couldn't and shouldn't go there." You could say, "Oh, they're never used for sex", but first of all, "Epitaph One" showed us that all those little lines the Dollhouse put in place that they cannot cross eventually do get crossed. Second of all, there's been the philosophical issue through the show so far of, "When you make someone a doll, you wipe all they are... aren't you effectively killing them?" From what I've heard, about 80% of the people watching the show are convinced enough as it is that the Dollhouse is evil and just wrong. It doesn't need children being wiped clean and manipulated at the whim of clients to make it darker.
    Besides, also as seen in "Epitaph One", Adelle may be okay with what she does now, but there are lines she will not cross, and I think using the children like that would be one of those lines. Even if there weren't all those moral issues with using children (and robbing them of part of their childhood), children can't legally sign contracts (at least in America) because they're not seen as mature and understanding enough to enter into a legal arrangement. Adelle is held together by rationalizations, one of them being that the dolls are volunteers and that makes it more okay.

It just wouldn't work, it's repulsive (and unnecessarily so), and it doesn't really have a place in the plot and would therefore just distract from it.

Save it for Special Victims Unit: Dollhouse.

Anyway, rant over now...

And maybe it was just the character of Shannon, but Maggie Grace is annoying and I'm unconvinced of her acting abilities.

Vesper-Lynd

[6]Sep 9, 2009
    PiperPrueLover4 wrote:
    Also, I don't think Alyson Hannigan would make a good Doll, as much as I love her.
    I just think she'd be absolutely adorable in doll mode.

PiperPrueLover4

[7]Sep 9, 2009
    LOL

"Hello Papa"

"Did I fall asleep?"

or

"Hello Hotel"

"Did I fall asleep?"

That's hilarious, you can't make that up.

michael_LB92

[8]Sep 9, 2009
    buffyTVSrox wrote:
    You could say, "Oh, they're never used for sex", but first of all, "Epitaph One" showed us that all those little lines the Dollhouse put in place that they cannot cross eventually do get crossed. [...] Second of all, there's been the philosophical issue through the show so far of, "When you make someone a doll, you wipe all they are... aren't you effectively killing them?" From what I've heard, about 80% of the people watching the show are convinced enough as it is that the Dollhouse is evil and just wrong. It doesn't need children being wiped clean and manipulated at the whim of clients to make it darker.

I'm not so much interested in making the show darker, but seeing the potential of the Dollhouse and what it could be used for. Of course the rules could be broken and something really sick could happen; except that that isn't what I'm interested in.
    The Dollhouse is this place where people can be "anything you want" so long as "anything you want" is aged 25 years old. Children could be used for so many other things; like in episode 6 (the grieving husband) for parents who lost their children, or used to be uber-unsuspecting spies, or a whole lot of other things. Of course it's unhumane, but the whole concept of the Dollhouse already is.
    buffyTVSrox wrote:
    Besides, also as seen in "Epitaph One", Adelle may be okay with what she does now, but there are lines she will not cross, and I think using the children like that would be one of those lines.

But also seen in Epitaph One, Adelle can easily be controlled by the Rossum Corp. If it doesn't happen in her Dollhouse, it'll just happen in others.

buffyTVSrox wrote:
    [...]children can't legally sign contracts (at least in America) because they're not seen as mature and understanding enough to enter into a legal arrangement. Adelle is held together by rationalizations, one of them being that the dolls are volunteers and that makes it more okay.

Firstly, the Dollhouse is hardly even legal. Secondly, who says their parents aren't signing them away? Who knows if they've been brought up from a terrible home and the Dollhouse is actually better for them? Maybe they'd like their terrible childhood to be over.

buffyTVSrox wrote:
    It just wouldn't work

I disagree.

buffyTVSrox wrote:
    it's repulsive

Agree.

buffyTVSrox wrote:
    and it doesn't really have a place in the plot and would therefore just distract from it.

I wouldn't recommend they use it if it couldn't be used in the plot, but besides that I don't see why they shouldn't.
    Of course it's disgusting, but the Dollhouse already is.
    The Dollhouse aims at human trafficking; they give rich people exactly what (or who) they want, when they want, for lots and lots of money. Using children is definitely a disturbing idea, but the whole concept of Dollhose is completely disturbing. And it's not like it's not that realistic for such a place.

buffyTVSrox

[9]Sep 9, 2009
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    Of course it's disgusting, but the Dollhouse already is.

It's a whole new level. There's a difference. A big one. If you can't see that, I don't think there's anything I can do to help you.

lazyjay

[10]Sep 9, 2009
    • level: 30
    There's a HUGE difference between missing 5 years of childhood compared to 5 years of young-adulthood.

Plus, slavery, terrible as it is in any form, is 1000 times more revolting when applied to children. I don't think I could stomach Dollhouse with children.
    Edited on 09/09/2009 8:59pm

michael_LB92

[11]Sep 10, 2009

I can see how it's more disgusting, and of course it would affect a child if they were a 5-year-old stuck in a 10-year-olds body. But the Dollhouse steals peoples' bodies forever (by 2019 anyway). I doubt Rossum would care at all if they were using children as Actives.

I'm not saying "Oh, yeah, let's brain-wipe kids as well!"... well, I sort of am. But I'm not saying it in a "look how cool it would be!" way.

I'm just saying it's an interesting, yet still repulsive, concept that could be used to further the story (for e.g. the Rossum Corp. suggests using children as well, which adds to the corruptness of the Dollhouse, which encourages Adelle to fight against them). I realise it's a really disturbing concept.

And those kids would be seriously f*cked up.

I'm just saying it could be used, it would be interesting, and it could strengthen the show depending on how they use it.

Perhaps we'll just agree to disagree?

(Please note: I do realise how gross the thought is. But sometimes to strengthen a plot, or stress a point of view, or get a message across, shows/films go this dark, heavy and disturbing. Like I said, I'd only want to see it used if it progressed the show further, and the show was aware of how dark it was getting.)

Edited on 09/10/2009 2:13am

buffyTVSrox

[12]Sep 10, 2009
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    I'm just saying it's an interesting, yet still repulsive, concept that could be used to further the story (for e.g. the Rossum Corp. suggests using children as well, which adds to the corruptness of the Dollhouse, which encourages Adelle to fight against them). I realise it's a really disturbing concept.

Okay, so you're now saying they should be added if it would further the plot. And I don't see how it could. We already know the Dollhouse is repulsive and wrong, obviously corrupt already (they're writing the laws to make killing people and stealing their bodies legal, come on), and we already know Adelle draws the line when Rossum decides it can keep bodies permanently. Having child dolls isn't necessary, so all it would acheive is to make many of the viewers sticking with the show say, "This is too sick to watch". I somewhat understand where you're coming from with the Dollhouse truly providing what everyone wants, but if we wanna get really into that, they'll have to have animal dolls, too, for people who want a dog with the personality of their old dog, or for people who enjoy having, er, "special" relationships with some animals. And then when Echo is walking through the Dollhouse there can be groups of kids walking to lunch and a bunch of cats serenely trotting towards the pet spa behind and in front of her. All it is is a distraction, since it wouldn't tell us anything we don't already know, and it doesn't propel the plot in a way other things couldn't. It's not particularly interesting other than in its repulsiveness, and it doesn't have much to do with the main characters as anything other than a meaningless plot device.
    It seems you have a big yearn for the show to show how much darker it can get, but maybe the spa setting made you forget that it's already terribly dark. We've got prostitution, the fact that the prostitutes in this case are programmed to choose their clients and don't do it of their natural free will, making it equivalent to rape, you have the fact that the dolls are left blank and defenseless allowing access to people like Sierra's former scumbag handler to more directly rape them, also leaving them defenseless against physical attack like Alpha, you have issues of morality with wiping people and how similar that is to killing them, you have the slavery issue, you have an evil company achieving pretty much world domination, stealing people's bodies permanently for the rich to have eternal life, and you have the end of the world where loved ones can be turned into psychotic aimless killers by walking past a radio or can simply be wiped blank, where little girls get tossed out of their bodies and replaced, and with pretty much everything else gone to total hell.

How dark do you want it? 'Cause I'm sure Joss could arrange for someone to be beating puppies to death in the background of every shot.

Oh, wait, you only wanted it if it would further the plot. Well, they could come up with a storyline about how Adelle only ever felt truly loved by the little schnauzer puppy she had as a girl, and it could compel her to take a more active role in standing up for good. Oh, and we could have children being molested in alleys by Actives to push Boyd over the edge to where he can no longer do the job. That could be what puts him on the run! See, the darkness could be really good if used to further the plot!

Yeah, sometimes taking it to the next level propels the plot. However, Dollhouse is already on such a dark level and the plot already has propulsion.
    Edited on 09/10/2009 5:15am

michael_LB92

[13]Sep 10, 2009
    OK then, Doug. Whatever. You're right. I'm wrong.

buffyTVSrox

[14]Sep 10, 2009
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    OK then, Doug. Whatever. You're right. I'm wrong.

That's all I needed to hear.
    Ever.

If the Dollhouse did have some dolls who were a teeny bit older, Gillian Anderson would make a great and versatile doll, I think.

Ginnifer Goodwin (Margie from Big Love) would fit the role of November really well. If she didn't already have work and Miracle couldn't have done it, I would have picked her for the part.

I'm not sure how she'd work with all the imprints, but I'd definitely be interested in seeing Zooey Deschanel as an Active, and I can totally see her all brainwashed.

Claudia Black is a very versatile actress, so I think she wouldn't be bad at all dealing with being different people each week.

___Mr_Nasty___

[15]Sep 10, 2009
    Bravo - Richard Brooks
    Charlie - Kristin Bell
    Delta - Brittany Snow
    Foxtrot - Amy Adams
    Golf - Grumpy, the dwarf
    Hotel - Jewel Staite
    India - Alona Tal
    Juliet - Mickey Rourke
    Kilo - Sam from Echoes
    Lima - Rachel McAdams
    Oscar - Aaron Douglas
    Papa - Father Christmas
    Quebec - Grace Park
    Romeo - Bob Dole
    Uniform - The Bellboy
    X-Ray - Jack Skellington
    Yankee - Spider, the cat
    Zulu - Barack Obama (as himself)

buffyTVSrox

[16]Sep 10, 2009
    ___Mr_Nasty___ wrote:
    Papa - Father Christmas
    Romeo - Bob Dole
    Uniform - The Bellboy
    X-Ray - Jack Skellington
    Yankee - Spider, the cat
    Zulu - Barack Obama (as himself)

Nice choices.
    I get most of them (even if you didn't call Father Christmas by his name, Tim), but I'm not quite sure why Spider should be Yankee. Your reasoning? Oh, and if Bob Dole were on Dollhouse I'd never watch any show ever again. I'd just watch the Bob Dole scenes alone, in private where I could fully enjoy all that Dole.

___Mr_Nasty___

[17]Sep 10, 2009
    buffyTVSrox wrote:
    I get most of them (even if you didn't call Father Christmas by his name, Tim), but I'm not quite sure why Spider should be Yankee. Your reasoning?

Just responding to your "request" that their be animals in the Dollhouse too. I guess you might have preferred the Christmas Turtle.

buffyTVSrox

[18]Sep 10, 2009
    ___Mr_Nasty___ wrote:
    Just responding to your "request" that there be animals in the Dollhouse too. I guess you might have preferred the Christmas Turtle.

Definitely. Have you seen Spider? He's so ugly! If he were on Dollhouse people who watched it would have their eyes burn out and vomit uncontrollably, and eventually they'd all stop watching it and it'd get canceled.
    Just ask Holly.

___Mr_Nasty___

[19]Sep 10, 2009
    buffyTVSrox wrote:
    Definitely. Have you seen Spider? He's so ugly! If he were on Dollhouse people who watched it would have their eyes burn out and vomit uncontrollably, and eventually they'd all stop watching it and it'd get canceled.
    Just ask Holly.

Poor Spider.

alwaysobsessed

[20]Sep 10, 2009
    • level: 22
    Papa should be a professional monkeydoll