Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Do You Think Boyd was Plan A?

The_Dude14

[1]Jan 19, 2010
    • level: 7

Now that Boyd's angle is all said and done, for the most part, do you believe that "Boyd is the head of Rossum" plot twist was their primary plan for the character and for the head of Rossum? In Angel, the original plan for Season 4 was for Cordelia to be the big bad, but her pregnancy forced the plans to be changed and Jasmine was born. There's also rumors that there were ideas to bring back Doyle in some capacity, I believe as another big bad, but, of course, reality interfered with any plan on that front.

Along those lines, do you believe that Boyd being the head of Rossum was their primary plan, or a contingency plan when reality prevented whatever their Plan A was?

Having had time to digest this last episode and rewatching much of Season 1, I believe that it was a contingency plan. If Evil Boyd had been better executed, I might believe that it was Plan A, but Evil Boyd just didn't work, IMO. I'm not sure it was possible for Evil Boyd to live up to the shock value, but Evil Boyd just didn't even have any consistency with Boyd prior to that episode. Even the first hint that Boyd might not be all that good and pure in Sierra's episode had much more consistency with the Boyd we knew than with Evil Boyd. I believe they had a different fate in mind for Boyd even when they wrote Epitaph One. I believe that Boyd being the big bad of Rossum was only brought about because of the premature end to the series altering their original plans.

It just doesn't add up. Boyd's backstory, as we knew it, is that he was some kind of ex-law enforcement recruited into the Dollhouse after the Alpha incident. Now its pretty clear that Dollhouse's background checks are highly overrated and can be fooled, it happened alot. However, there are several instances where Boyd displays characteristics that identify a law enforcement background, characteristics (such as his analysis of the wounds of Echo's previous handler, his analysis of Senator Perrin, which matches Ballard's) that I don't think an unbalanced, evil CEO of an evil organization would have or be able to fake so well. And seeing the Evil Boyd of the last episode, does it really seem like he is capable of maintaining the illusion of Boyd as completely as he does, able to fool two government agents, one of whom (Dominic) that would actually be looking for someone just like Boyd?

When it comes down to it, something about Evil Boyd just doesn't work for me and my mind is rejecting it. Whedon shows don't do this. Even when things don't work, like Kennedy, I still accept them. Even when the Circle of the Black Thorns pops up out of nowhere in the last two episodes, I don't reject the concept, but I just cannot accept that their original plan for Boyd was this.

Personally, I think that their original plan for the head of Rossum was to bring back a familar Whedonverse face and put them in the role, as that seemed to be one of the recurring themes of the show. In my head, I just keep seeing Anthony Stewart Head.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

thetruesora

[2]Jan 20, 2010
    • level: 22
    What I would of loved is David Boreanaz to be the head of Rossum and then he shows some vampire teeth just as he's killed at the end of Epitaph 2 as a mindscrew to the audience. XD

Just kidding about the vampire bit but I reckon he'd of been amazing as the head of Rossum.

historylover20

[3]Jan 20, 2010
    • level: 28

I agree with the OP. I think Boyd was something that was pulled out because they have to wrap it up. Because it doesn't really fit.

Kat

michael_LB92

[4]Jan 20, 2010
    • level: 24
    I honestly don't know. I see how it doesn't add up. But I also see that the writers only knew about the cancellation when they were writing the final three episodes. So they didn't have lots of time to explain it.

Lady_Lancaster

[5]Jan 20, 2010
    • level: 41
    It's an interesting theory, perhaps he was or it may well have been, as has already been suggested something the writers needed to do to have some kind of 'conclusion' for the character.

AnilThornberry

[6]Jan 20, 2010
    • level: 19
    It felt so out of place. Joss probably planned a whole lot of things for 5 seasons, he just decided to use the best ones last minute.

Sugar2U

[7]Jan 21, 2010
    • level: 9
    I said this before.. the only time I thought maybe he could be evil is when the other head of security was put into the addic. It seemed like maybe he was set up which would set Boyd up to be head of security. However, after that he seemed like he cared for Echo. Which was explained. He did care for Echo and Dewitt and Topher in his own strange ways.. Plus we dont know anything about the head of Rossum. The brains seemed to be Clyde. The security seemed to be Boyd. He could have been ex police or army. I dont know if we will ever know what Joss truly had in mind ( unless he tells us ) BUT the more I think about it the more Boyd could have been a plan A.

KingofIPirates

[8]Jan 21, 2010
    • level: 32
    historylover20 wrote:

I agree with the OP. I think Boyd was something that was pulled out because they have to wrap it up. Because it doesn't really fit.

Kat

I agree as well, the reason why it was such a shock was not only because it was so out of character but it's not entirely logical for Boyd to go through all that when they're far simpler means of carrying out his goal; which is why they had to make him a little crazy as well to help justify his decision.
    Edited on 01/21/2010 12:43pm

LeytonTLA

[9]Jan 22, 2010
    • level: 16
    I agree, it could not have been plan A and if it was they didnt really do it very well cos usually they show stuff through out the seasons little hints and stuff, i just cant believe it was him they should make an alternate episode with someone else at the helm and not boyd lol i was like wait boyd ... no ... what the ... how the ... but he cant ...BOYD its just horrible

ArlovskiFTW

[10]Jan 28, 2010
    • level: 9
    He's always been oddly aloof and mysterious. Everyone in the dollhouse had questionable morality, Boyd included. What wouldn't have made any sense would be if Boyd really was just some really nice, fatherly, excop. It would have been far fetched to think someone like that would have ever been placed in such an important position within the dollhouse. Back in the very first episode, it was clear Boyd was not all good and had his secrets. Sure it might not have been plan A, but the Boyd that you people think existed certainly wasn't the plan for the character.

tv_lover066

[11]Feb 1, 2010
    • level: 12

Funny little story: I never knew the show had been cancelled (severe deprivation from internet) so when i was watching the final couple of episodes i was like "What the hell!" Everything felt rushed and strange, so i was like omg omg has it been cancelled and sadly it had . Was Boyd Plan A? Possibly, because he was one of the most likeable characters and who would have seen it coming? Had dollhouse been given more time then if it were plan A then it would've been executed better.

But it didnt feel right, he was always questionning the morality of the house but grrrrr now i dont know because the more i think about it the more conflicted my arguments become.

We needed more time!

Rachwhut

[12]Feb 24, 2010
    • level: 6

Under the circumstances, I think that it was brilliant. My heart dropped as soon as I realised that Boyd was the bad guy, and I think it takes some real genius writing to have that effect.

LaurenHaddow0

[13]Jun 14, 2010
    • level: 1
    I was very suprised and shocked when i first saw the episode where we find out it the co-founder was Boyd, but watching back the first season, i can see how the whole storyline does make sense. He put himself there to keep Echo safe and so that she would trust him with her life so that later she would as he had planned could save certain people that he wanted to save and nobody could suspect him of being the co-founder otherwise his plan would never been able to be fulfilled in his eyes. I dunno if it was planned or not, but i can see the sense in the storyline they were telling.

DeadMessenger82

[14]Aug 8, 2010
    • level: 12
    was it planned? was it not planned?

all i know is it made me really angry, and i felt really betrayed.
    it was obvious that the actor didn't know. but for a joss show that means nothing.

but seriously it was like saying;

"that's right, Giles created the hellmouth!"
    "the one that's been there for hundreds of years?"
    "THE VERY SAME!!!"

... "AND ANOTHER ONE IN CLEVELAND!!"

Phunner1416

[15]Jul 10, 2011
    • level: 11
    I knew it was going to be someone in the group, I was suspecting Ivy, especially how they got attacked as soon as Ivy left,
    As for the how did he get the training, him and Clyde met in college, maybe he was studying criminal behavior or something!

brain05

[16]Oct 5, 2011
    • level: 15

All I know is that twist kind of ruined the show for me. Kind of. I thought it ruined a character and made no sense whatsoever, given everything that he had done up to that point.