Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Dollhouse: Official Season 1 DVD

AnilThornberry

[1]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 19

Wow, look at this! It's too exciting. I hope its released during summer time and hopefully the price will be lowered. I mean $35 dolars for only 13 episodes? GEEZZ!!!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Dollhouse-Season-1-Bluray/11631

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TwistedConverse

[2]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 23
    I'm so getting it.

michael_LB92

[3]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 24
    Ew. Blu-ray.

I'll definitely pre-order it once it's available (officially). Good to hear they'll be featuring the original Pilot though.

SVU_Obsessed

[4]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 22
    Wow they are really coming out with dvd sets fast nowadays. Used to you had to wait years after a season aired to get it on dvd. But I'm not complaining

michael_LB92

[5]Apr 8, 2009
    I know, right? I think they try to release them before they come back with the new season these days.

SVU_Obsessed

[6]Apr 8, 2009
    Maybe they figure the sales will be greater if they sell the season on dvd right after the season airs instead of waiting until people forget about it? I just reread your post Michael and am I detecting a hint of positivity regarding a second season of a certain show?

michael_LB92

[7]Apr 8, 2009
    Well, Joss' shows are known for making a killing in DVD sales. Maybe FOX is counting on the shows DVD success to make money. But, also DVDs usually come out a bit before the show begins on TV again, so people who missed it can catch up.

SVU_Obsessed

[8]Apr 8, 2009
    I must say Michael that I have not seen you use so many smiley faces than you have now in the half hour that you've been on here.

But I'm assuming the dvd set isn't only coming out in Blu-Ray....is it? I still love my regular ol' dvd player and don't feel like shelling out the dough for a Blu-Ray player.

michael_LB92

[9]Apr 8, 2009
    I seriously doubt that. IMO, Blu-ray won't stick around long. They'll probably have something else, like little USB sticks that have episodes of shows on them instead.

And yeah, I'm dishing out the smiley faces today.

michael_LB92

[10]Apr 8, 2009
    Oh, I forgot to answer your question.

I'm 99.9% sure they wouldn't only release it on Blu-ray. Half the population wouldn't have Blu-ray yet. I don't wanna make the switch either, unless it actually is here to stay. It sounds unlikely though.

SVU_Obsessed

[11]Apr 8, 2009
    I remember they used to have the Blu-Ray dvd and the High-Def dvd, but they scrapped the latter. I'm kind of hoping the Blu-Ray hoopla will go away because I'm afraid regular dvds are going to start being phased out and I'm gonna have to spend $30 on a movie that I could have easily spent $15-$20 on.

This is my favorite face ----> , it makes me smile.

spikemaniac

[12]Apr 9, 2009
    • level: 50
    I'll definitely be getting the DVD, mainly coz I've made it a habit of buying anything Joss, minus comics. I even ordered the Dr Horrible DVD. Plus, I would just love to rewatch this show.

lazyjay

[13]Apr 9, 2009
    • level: 30
    {off topic}
    spikemaniac wrote:
    I even ordered the Dr Horrible DVD.

Yay! "Commentary!" is a big pile of funny. I wish they'd release the songs as a soundtrack so I could listen when I'm not home.
    {/off topic}

spikemaniac wrote:
    I'll definitely be getting the DVD, mainly coz I've made it a habit of buying anything Joss, minus comics.

I'll be getting the DVD or, if there's some compelling reason, the Blu-ray. Blu-ray is visually awesome if you have a HD TV, otherwise it's not much else that great. (grammar nazis, go to town on this. I'll be ready with my parasites [make of that what you will])

spikemaniac

[14]Apr 10, 2009
    • level: 50
    If you give me your email address, I'd be happy to email you the mp3s of the Commentary songs

I'm considering getting Blu-ray too, but I don't want to have to then keep buying Blu-rays and everything. We already have like 10 remote controls.

lazyjay

[15]Apr 10, 2009
    • level: 30
    Thanks but I think I can make due. I've heard of a service which can turn Youtube videos into MP3 files.

***SPOILER***
    OMG, 10 (exaggerated I'm sure) remotes? I have trouble keeping up with 3!

It's getting harder and harder to stay on topic.

grailwolf

[16]Apr 10, 2009
    • level: 55
    I've mentioned it elsewhere, but I should say something here as well. If you're a fan of the show and you want to show your support, please consider buying the DVDs if you can afford them. In fact, buy whatever you can manage. Downloading from iTunes, purchasing DVDs (regular or BluRay), and buying other related merchandise are the only real ways that you can directly support the show if you aren't a Nielsen family.

And to get in on the remote discussion: I've managed to pare down to five remotes myself. TV, TiVo, Comcast, HD DVD (yeah, I was one of the suckers who went with the better technology instead of the winner), and an XBox 360 controller. I include the last one because we use it so often to watch media (DVDs and direct video from Netflix and other sources). I've gotten rid of my VCR (who really needs one when you have TiVo?) and my tuner bit the dust, so we've gone from six to five (the VCR remote was replaced by the TiVo remote). Luckily I can almost always get by with just the TiVo remote and the XBox controller. I set the TiVo remote to work with the TV so it can adjust input and volume, and that's about all I need.

As for the format issue, I suspect that Blu-Ray will stick around for a while (especially now that the players are dropping in price) but I suspect that they wasted too much time with the format war. Now the public doesn't really trust them and a new technology will probably come along before Blu-Ray can establish any sort of real market share. I suspect, in fact, that we may be moving away from physical media altogether as the home computer and media center continue to merge. Pretty soon we'll be downloading everything in HD and keeping it on our hard drive, burning to our own media, or just keeping it on an external server. Netflix and the other "on demand" video services have proven that the model works, so maybe we won't own any of the content at all. We'll just pay monthly access fees and that will let us watch/listen to whatever we want whenever we want to.

Just a thought.

SVU_Obsessed

[17]Apr 10, 2009
    It's not that I don't want to support the show, I just can't really afford to buy it at the moment seeing as how I haven't had a job for a few months because of classes. I could always use the gas money my mom transfers to my account (humiliating I know) but the last time I spent the gas money on something that wasn't gas-like, I ended up stranded on the side of the interstate and that is fun for no one.

grailwolf

[18]Apr 10, 2009
    Hey, all the good TV in the world isn't worth it if you have to miss it because you're walking home from the interstate. We've all done the poor student thing (rather: most of us either have or will) so we all get it. But if you have time to write some emails you can still support the show. If you think it's worth supporting just send a note to Fox, and if you have the time you can also send one to your local Fox affiliate and maybe even to one or two of the companies you see advertising on Dollhouse. Hey, you can even mention that the reduced commercial interruption caused you to watch their ads more often because you aren't bothering to fast forward for a 60-second commercial break. There are all sorts of things you can do, and they all help.

SVU_Obsessed

[19]Apr 10, 2009
    You wouldn't happen to have the email addresses of any of those companies you mentioned do you?

grailwolf

[20]Apr 10, 2009
    Not offhand, but just go to Fox.com and you should be able to find contact info there. For the local affiliate, listen for them to identify the station (often before the news) and search on that. For example, in my area the Fox affiliate is WTTG, Fox 5. And if I had thought about it, I should have made a list of the advertisers, but I haven't yet. I'll try to go through my recordings and do that. Unless, that is, someone else feels like tackling that one.