Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Fox might not even air season (series?) finale?!?

grailwolf

[21]Apr 10, 2009
    • level: 55
    From what I can gather the official word is that the show is not canceled and that dropping this episode has nothing to do with their decision. According to Felicia Day and Jed Whedon (via Twitter) it will appear on the DVD. No word on whether it will be available on iTunes or any other online venues.

It seems to have happened like this (I'm repeating some things that were mentioned above, so apologies):
    Fox ordered 13 episodes, then Joss decided to scrap the original pilot. This left them one short. Joss created a new 13th episode that would be out of continuity to serve as a sort of endcap for the season (or series, if it came to that). For various reasons, Fox decided not to air this episode. There are too many conflicting theories about why this happened to even hazard a guess. The end result is that we will wind up with the original story arc that Joss planned for the season, minus a final "filler" episode. Certainly this does suck, but it really isn't an end of the world situation. We get the whole story and we'll be able to see Felicia and the rest of the awesomeness that would have been episode 13 on the DVD.

Oh, and any fans of the show that weren't planning on buying the DVD anyway, shame on you! Seriously, buying the DVDs (if you can afford it) is probably the best way to support the show if you aren't a Nielsen family. Please do consider it if at all possible.

PS: Remember that it is okay to get mad, but posts that contain profanity that isn't completely blocked out, flames toward anyone (including networks), or offensive imagery will be moderated and/or deleted. As an example, if the word "meat" was profanity, then you should type it as "****" not as "m****", "m**t", "m3@t", etc. (more details in the links in my sig). Better yet, just don't include profanity at all! Thanks.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

michael_LB92

[22]Apr 10, 2009
    • level: 24
    ***** *****! I'm so ****** *****. If I ever ****** see those ***** I'm gonna ****** ***** ***** the **** ****** ****** *****.

Who's with me!?

grailwolf

[23]Apr 10, 2009
    Must... not... show... amusement...
    Must... not... encourage... off-topicness...

(hey, it's a word... now)

Looks like lazyjay and I crossed the streams a bit. Good summary, Jason. Looking at it I realize that I should have been a bit more clear. My little summary is a combination of what I've heard and my own guesses. Jason is totally right that no good explanation of why has officially been released. And, frankly, knowing how Fox operates I doubt we'll ever get an official statement from them. We may well hear something from Joss or some of the other folks who are involved.

Oh, and since twitter keeps being mentioned, I should say that I have an account. Take a wild guess at my twitter name. I dare you.

I'm almost never on right now because of domestic chaos, but my wife is an avid tweeter (heatherwelliver) and she keeps me up to date. Feel free to add either of us (just tell her you're from Tv.com and you know me).

___Mr_Nasty___

[24]Apr 10, 2009
    • level: 24
    Meat!

shadowysea07

[25]Apr 10, 2009
    • level: 25

___Mr_Nasty___

what an epic post i it says it all about how you feel towards fox not airing the entire 13 eps. i honestly could care less as long as fox orders another season. this show is good and gets decent ratings so there is no reason to cancel it. if they didn't want it why did they order it in the first place. i'm sure usa would of loved to add this to their channel with all the sexy violence and the possibility of it being as big as buffy.

Edited on 04/10/2009 6:57am

grailwolf

[26]Apr 10, 2009
    Mr. N - You scalawag! shadowysea07 - Well, so far they say they're not canceling it. There are even rumors afloat that they are leaning toward a second season, so hope springs eternal.

SVU_Obsessed

[27]Apr 10, 2009
    • level: 22
    michael_LB92 wrote:
    ***** *****! I'm so ****** *****. If I ever ****** see those ***** I'm gonna ****** ***** ***** the **** ****** ****** *****.

Who's with me!?

Why Michael you've made me blush with your harsh words and expletives. Who knew you had such a mouth on you.

I started a Twitter account, but really had nothing interesting to say, don't even remember the name I chose for myself. But FOX has twitter?? The loop is just so so far away.

toxic_boy21

[28]Apr 10, 2009
    • level: 13
    Woahh now I don't know how I feel about this anymore .. I mean, considering there may not BE a Season 2, I guess I'd prefer them to finish it off with a season finale-ish conclusion. But it's still gonna bug me that there's just another (APOCALYPTIC) episode floating around until the DVD... weird that Joss did that.

Jazzman13

[29]Apr 10, 2009
    • level: 4
    If anyone's curious, here are Tim Minear's thoughts on the matter:

"Okay. So maybe I can help clarify this somewhat. Because we scrapped the original pilot -- and in fact cannibalized some of its parts for other eps -- we really ended up with 12 episodes. But the studio makes DVD and other deals based on the original 13 number. So we created a standalone kind of coda episode. Which is the mythical new episode 13. The network had already paid for 13 episodes, and this included the one they agreed to let us scrap for parts. It does not include the one we made to bring the number back up to 13 for the studio side and its obligations. We always knew it would be for the DVD for sure, but we also think Fox should air it because it's awesome."

I take this to mean it was never decided whether this 13th episode would ever air (until recently). The big epic finale feeling show will air, and the DVDs are out in July (as I understand it) so there's not a huge wait for the "coda" episode. It'll be a little taste of new Dollhouse in the middle of the summer (when TV is at its crappiest).

I believe this actually works in favour of the show. The reason for the 13th episode is a little convoluted to explain to the general viewing public in a 30 second promo, and undecided viewers are better off seeing an epic finale type episode and being left feeling they want more, than seeing an epilogue type episode and feeling underwhelmed (note: I imagine it's awesome -- Tim Minear said so himself -- but not all episodes FEEL like finales).
    Edited on 04/10/2009 2:20pm

TwistedConverse

[30]Apr 10, 2009
    • level: 23
    If they give us a second season, I think it's safe to say I will forgive them.

Plus, it makes the DVD more exciting .

SVU_Obsessed

[31]Apr 10, 2009
    TwistedConverse wrote:
    If they give us a second season, I think it's safe to say I will forgive them.

Plus, it makes the DVD more exciting .

Yeah I won't think twice about them not airing the 13th episode if they give Dollhouse a second season.

Kadodian

[32]Apr 11, 2009
    Buying it on DVD for sure even though I can watch them online over and over again. Just trying to help as much as I could. I hate the fact that they are doing this to Dollhouse ! After everything they did with Firfely !!! WTF ?!

Kadodian

[33]Apr 11, 2009
    What's even more depressing is they are not going to air two episodes of Prison Break. Somebody needs to give Fox a good a$$ kicking !!! Dollhouse might get cancelled ! Firefly got cancelled and now two episodes that we will not see unless bought on DVD for Prison Break ! GRRRR ARGGGG !

buffyTVSrox

[34]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 33
    spikemaniac wrote:
    The way I see it, "Epitaph One" is kind of like Buffy's Season 4 "Restless", in that it's standalone, and while awesome, has nothing much to do with the season, and probably just made to fill up the 13 episodes, when Joss scrapped the original pilot episode "Echo". Before that, "Omega" was the intended season finale.

That's what it seems like to me, too. It's good in that the "finale" still airs, but bad in that "Restless" was one of my favorite episodes of anything ever and I'm sure "Epitaph One" would have provided much amazingness.

I'll be eagerly anticipating the DVD release (even more than before) now, though.

SVU_Obsessed

[35]Apr 11, 2009
    Is the dvd set going to be released in June or July?

buffyTVSrox

[36]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 33
    SVU_Obsessed wrote:
    Is the dvd set going to be released in June or July?

According to tvshowsondvd.com, July 28th.

SVU_Obsessed

[37]Apr 11, 2009
    Thanks, Doug!

jesccas82

[38]Apr 11, 2009
    • level: 4
    FOX SUCKS!

thetruesora

[39]Apr 11, 2009
    Epitath One was a stand alone episode to go on the DVD. Full explanation: http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2009/04/dollhouse-episode-13-only-on-dvd.html

SVU_Obsessed

[40]Apr 11, 2009
    thetruesora wrote:
    Epitath One was a stand alone episode to go on the DVD. Full explanation: http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2009/04/dollhouse-episode-13-only-on-dvd.html

It's already been explained, but thanks anyway