TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Interesting Similarities

dragon22a

[21]Jan 30, 2010
    • level: 32
    Wolfram and Hart was similar to Rossum. They both gave off public disguises as altruistic companies while hiding their true darker nature. The LA dollhouse rebelled just as Angel and his crew rebelled against the larger global Wolfram and Hart.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TwistedConverse

[22]Jan 31, 2010
    • level: 23
    Lady_Lancaster wrote:
    TwistedConverse wrote:
    Haha I miss Angel . It was so cancelled too early ... it seems that 75% of Joss shows are.

Do you really think "Angel" was cancelled too early? I thought it had had it's day and that Season 5 was pretty much proof of that. Just my opinion though.

I thought S5 was pretty crap a lot of the time but the last 7 episodes showed it could still be incredible and the whole idea of S6 "L.A. in Hell" would have just been epic.

wordlessdan

[23]Jan 31, 2010
    • level: 3

^Season 6 wouldn't have been in hell per se. I remember either DeKnight or Fury saying that W&H would have sent the team to a desert in the middle of nowhere. Don't know how that could work, but my memory may just be playing tricks on me. Season 5 had a few weak episodes here and there, but it never hit the lows that every season of a Whedon show hits at least once. Well, except Why We Fight, now that I remember.

In response to Dollhouse/Angel similarities, I remember a panel where Whedon was asked why he always wrote shows about evil corporations. I hope I'm allowed to link... Edit: I guess I'm not, but it's on youtube under "Dollhouse Panel 7 of 7"

Edited on 01/31/2010 3:40pm

dragon22a

[24]Jan 31, 2010
    • level: 32
    Season 6 would have probably been similar to how it was in the comics but as Joss has said, they were able to put visuals in the comic that they just did not have the budget for in the series. Season 5 had its flaws with a few filler episodes but ones like Hole in the world still stand out.

thetruesora

[25]Jan 31, 2010
    • level: 22
    season 6 would of been affected a bit by if certain actors/actresses didn't want to return (I heard that was Joss' plan by doing that ending).

The_Dude14

[26]Jan 31, 2010
    • level: 7

I could have been convinced that Angel had run its course before "A Hole in the World" but Illyria was a game changer with so much untapped potential and Season 5 from there was kinda amazing from there until they had to rush out a conclusion... which they did well.

Few things about Season 5, its a lot like Season 1, IMO. The entire status quo had changed and, a lot like Season 1, it took them some time to find their footing.

There's also the network interference. In getting the 5th season, the network wanted more episodic, less arc (coming off Season 4, where if you don't watch episodes in order, you would be seriously lost, with few exceptions). They wanted the concept of the show to be clearly stated (and I do believe the term "belly of the beast" was used in, like, at least once in the first 12 episodes or so) (It did lead to a really fun "gray area" line from Angel in an episode).

And I think from watching Dollhouse, as well, that, bless him, Joss is much better with the arc than he is with episodic (although, Firefly seemed to moving along nicely with an episodic format... but I don't need to go down that road. That road leads to the Dark Side)

Lady_Lancaster

[27]Feb 1, 2010
    • level: 41
    Peterb3291 wrote:
    Lady_Lancaster wrote:
    I also wish Joss would stop recycling his actors and bringing them into show after show after show. Don't get me wrong, I love to see the old faces in his new shows but a lot of people can only remember them for the long-running role that they played and can't differentiate between characters and shows very easily. For example, to some people, Eliza will always be Faith and so, therefore, she can never be Echo while they still think of her that way. Same with Amy as Fred/Claire/Whisky. She will just always be Fred and that's that. A lot of fans can't make the switch because the actors get typecast when they play long roles. It might be better for Joss's next effort if he found some new blood to work with to avoid the dreaded typecasting which, unfortunately happens to so many actors who play a single character for a long time.

I agree but remember it was Eliza's contract

I'm not just talking about Eliza though, there were heaps of other Whedon alumni from other shows and maybe that wasn't necessary, given that they are so firmly entrenched as other characters in the minds of so many viewers.

historylover20

[28]Feb 1, 2010
    • level: 28

Like Alan Tudyk = Wash

Summer Glau = River

Eliza Dushku = Faith

Alexis Denisof = Westley Wyndam-Pryce

Joss Whedon has said on a commentary that he loves casting the same people over and over again. And it shows. That's good and that's bad at the same time.

Eliza Dushku isn't that strong of an actress. A couple of reasons why--she's best at a certain type of role (Faith). The best imprints she played were when she was comfortably into the Faith-like roles. Also, her real-life personality tends to overshadow her characters. She's got a great personality, and she seems like such a neat, funny woman. But, it overtakes her characters.

So, when she mostly plays characters like Faith, it's hard to let Faith go.

Some people would argue that Summer Glau tends to only play mentally disturbed or emotionally stilted young women (she plays them well. Look at TSCC.) I think she's pretty good. She really isn't the same character twice.

Alexis Denisof was good as Sen. Daniel Perrin. In fact, it was a little jolting to hear him speak in his real accent and not a British accent.

But, Alan Tudyk is the man. But, let's face it--most of us know him as sweet Wash.

So, Joss sometimes needs to step out of his comfort zone and cast different actors in main parts. His viewers won't have baggage with them. They won't be easily identifiable as past characters. And look at who he can come up with once he casts new actors! I mean, Enver Gjokja was an amazing find!

Kat

thetruesora

[29]Feb 1, 2010
    Joss said in an interview between season one and two that he didn't want to just make roles for his old whedonverse actors and that he wouldn't make Summer crazy if she did appear in it. However, that seems to be what he ended up doing.

michael_LB92

[30]Feb 4, 2010
    • level: 24
    She wasn't crazy. Not River-crazy anyway. She was a little odd.

thetruesora

[31]Feb 5, 2010
    my point was that she still played a character with serious issues.

TwistedConverse

[32]Feb 5, 2010
    • level: 23
    wordlessdan wrote:

^Season 6 wouldn't have been in hell per se. I remember either DeKnight or Fury saying that W&H would have sent the team to a desert in the middle of nowhere. Don't know how that could work, but my memory may just be playing tricks on me. Season 5 had a few weak episodes here and there, but it never hit the lows that every season of a Whedon show hits at least once. Well, except Why We Fight, now that I remember.

Oh I totally disagree. IMO The Cautionary Tale Of Numero Cinco is by far the worst episode Joss has ever done, it's terrible, just abysmal. By far the lowest point in any Joss season.

The_Dude14

[33]Feb 5, 2010
    • level: 7
    TwistedConverse wrote:
    wordlessdan wrote:

Oh I totally disagree. IMO The Cautionary Tale Of Numero Cinco is by far the worst episode Joss has ever done, it's terrible, just abysmal. By far the lowest point in any Joss season.
    No love for el Diablo Robotico?

... Actually, I can understand that. That was the most entertaining part of that episode... and I actually like wrestling, too.

samanthadalco

[34]Feb 5, 2010
    • level: 1
    I personally started watching Dollhouse because of Joss whedon, I just love his work amoung many other things. Mainly because of the outstanding work he put in one of his GREATEST television series, "Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Also because Eliza Dushku was in it. But, at first the show wasnt what i excepted when i heard the name i thought it was some drama, and im not really into that stuff. I like love concepts but not teenybopper things So i searched the web trying to find as much information i could on the series i totally fell in love even before i started watching it just the whole concept of an underground brain washing place got my attention. But my favourite character out of the bunch was Topher, very cute, and hilarious I was so upset when i heard the show was cancell i honestly think FOX made a HUGE mistake.

spikemaniac

[35]Feb 5, 2010
    • level: 50
    TwistedConverse wrote:
    IMO The Cautionary Tale Of Numero Cinco is by far the worst episode Joss has ever done, it's terrible, just abysmal. By far the lowest point in any Joss season.

Yeah I loathed that episode.

wordlessdan

[36]Feb 6, 2010
    • level: 3
    Meh, it was funny, and revealed a little about Angel's stance in the season. I don't get the hate for it. Harm's Way and Unleashed sucked, now that I remember more of the episodes. But hey, seasons 1-4 of Angel all had bad episodes too. I certainly think the show had two more years of brilliance to go. Just like Dollhouse needed seven years.
    Edited on 02/06/2010 9:10am