Dollhouse Forums

FOX (ended 2010)

Is Joss Whedon being given a free pass?

TwistedConverse

[61]Apr 15, 2009
    • level: 23
    But surely Bella/Edward were nowhere near as annoying as Bangel?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

michael_LB92

[62]Apr 15, 2009
    • level: 24
    spikemaniac, I get what you mean. It's sort of like One Tree Hill. It's ridiculous, you wanna slap to death half the characters, and you really have no respect for the writing, but it's just so fun and addictive to get into.

I don't mind Bangel, because I actually like Buffy, and (in his own series) like Angel. I don't relate to or like Bella or Edward at all.

And mentioning Twilight in general again, part of what I hated most was the fact that the movie was essentially useless to me. I know it's about this vampire and girl falling in love, but I just didn't see the contraversy.

Then in the last 30 minutes they gave this dodgey little vampire storyline, which made no sense. There's 2 vampires against about the 7 of them, and they're all crapping themselves. Like they couldn't have taken those two out.

And yes, the other contraversy was that he was a vampire, but hey - at least they can do it, yeah?

Anyway, yeah, Joss Whedon... mm... free pass... yeah... hmm..

ebony_kunoichi

[63]Apr 15, 2009
    • level: 13

Twilight is good if your into that. I dont like my vampires sweet, romanantic and full of teen angst. That is boring to me, but the movie was alright.

As for Joss Whedon. I agree about the fanboys. Sci-fi draws fanboys like flies. I dont know why. It's either that or American Idol. I love sci-fi. I read the books, comics, magazines, and etc. but I dont spend my time trying to convince people that they should like this show or that show or why this certain creator is greatness Fanboys do that. There are some Whedon fans that do that too. Fanboys are like the religious zealots who try to convert you. They get deluted and defy reason at times. I'm not scared to say Firefly sucked, sorry thats my opinion. But the Whedon fans get all up in arms like you just told them that their momma is fat and ugly. Jeez.

I think fanboydom has to do with age and maturity. Most of the fanboys I know are young. I'm 32. I don't have time for that crap. I have better things to worry about other than some show getting cancelled. I get over it. I love Terminator and they are cancelling that, but why people want to sign petitions, and do survey's is beyond me. Things like tht rarely work. Dollhouse probably will be cancelled. People have to watch. I get tired of people blaming a network if their show gets cancelled due to low ratings. If it was that great then people would watch.

All in all people need something to be passionate for and I just don't get why fictional junk evokes such passion when there are real issues, people, beliefs, causes that really need attention. It's a waste of time and energy. This is what is wrong with America. Our focus is in the wrong place. Has anyone seen the movie Idiocracy? I swear we are headed down that road!

DrRosenRosen

[64]Apr 15, 2009
    • level: 2

ebony_kunoichi wrote:

I just don't get why fictional junk evokes such passion when there are real issues, people, beliefs, causes that really need attention. It's a waste of time and energy. This is what is wrong with America. Our focus is in the wrong place. Has anyone seen the movie Idiocracy? I swear we are headed down that road!

I agree. I don't really understand why such a great effort is being put forth by great minds in this world to produce "large number[s] of scholarly books, articles, dissertations, websites, and colloquy about Whedon's work". Seems like a colossal waste of time considering all of the useful scholarly work that can be done. Can't people just be done with a show after watching it and b.s.'ing about it around the water cooler for a few minutes? Why do we need college liberal arts courses devoted to the subject? Sci fi and fantasy geeks for some reason need to immerse themselves in the stuff. Must be the same disorder that causes them to deify fiction writers like Whedon.

Jigsawj

[65]Apr 16, 2009
    • level: 2
    Let me preface this post with the following statement: "My words and statements below in no way refer to any one person or group in particular, but rather to certain mindsets. If you feel that these remarks are directed at you, please be assured that they are not, and take a step back and a deep breath an realize these words are from only a faceless stranger whom you will never likely encounter again, either online or in real life, and one who has no influence on you or your thoughts."

It always strikes me as silly when people rail against "fanboyism" to the extent that their "anti-fanboy" statements seem to take on a fanatical quality that is nigh on fanboyish in their anti-devotion (read as "dislike"). It's almost like homophobic closet cases.

I admit it freely, I'm a fanboy of chocolate. If Baskin-Robbin's decided to cancel chocolate ice-cream, I would jump and and down screaming about it and sign any number of petitions to try to make them change their minds. I wouldn't care if some people like vanilla better, or if they like chocolate but not enough to make a fuss, they don't have any reason to call my actions into question. They have the right, but not the reason. The difference lies in being able to see beyond themselves and to realize that they are not the center of the universe. They have every right to criticize chocolate lovers, but common decency would lead them to, at best, leaving it alone and at worst, criticizing chocolate, but never criticize the chocolate lover.

My take on it is... sure maybe some people's tastes are just f'ing wrong, but who is anyone to say their own are better? Attack the object of obsession all you want. Don't attack the people who obsess.

This applies to *all* who try to push their views on others, either pro or anti any particular subject. I highly respect people who can talk about their own views and disagree with the view of others without denigrating those views. Others, not so much.

This had been the Passive-aggressive hour with your host, Jigsaw. Please join us next week for a look into the strange world of albino-tiger-steak lovers.

moatilliatta85

[66]Apr 16, 2009
    • level: 6
    To get the focus away from Twilight and back into this series, I will say this: I went as far as to look forward to this show only because it was Whedon's creation and nothing else. The premise itself reminded me too much of Dark Angel for me to care that much about it. Even after I heard negative criticism directed at it before it aired, I gave it the benefit of the doubt. Then the horrendous pilot episode hit and I lost all interest. What pulled me back in was the promise that after ep 6, it would be more Whedon-like. I guess the past 4 eps have been a little better but nothing mind blowing. Some animated shows have a better way to build up intrigue than this does. This is what leads me to believe that some people follow it blindly no matter what, when they say that it's the best show out right now, and that they've been obsessed since the pilot. Really? Are your standards that low? And some even claim that Eliza acts wonderfully in this. Serious?
    Overrated though it may be, Lost runs laps around DH. You wanna see how suspense is built? Watch Fringe. Want Sci-Fi? Again, Fringe. Want funny? Watch almost anything else. And no, I'm not an Abrams fanboy. I actually like Whedon's other stuff.

mattgus

[67]Apr 17, 2009
    • level: 14
    i like his stuff,but it took awhile to get use to buffy. angel and firefly were immediate...i am disapointed with dollhouse...but is it his fault...so much we don't know

Bloodbath_87

[68]Apr 19, 2009
    • level: 16
    Frenz9 wrote:
    DrRosenRosen wrote:
    Eliza's hotness but not her acting I believe is carrying it right now.

I think that Eliza is doing a great job acting, love every personality she has played in the show

She plays this character just like every other one she's ever done.

TwistedConverse

[69]Apr 19, 2009
    • level: 23

Bloodbath_87 wrote:
    Frenz9 wrote:
    DrRosenRosen wrote:
    I think that Eliza is doing a great job acting, love every personality she has played in the show

Yes she plays Echo and Faith exactly the same, it's impossible to tell the difference.

michael_LB92

[70]Apr 19, 2009
    • level: 24
    TwistedConverse wrote:

Bloodbath_87 wrote:
    Frenz9 wrote:
    DrRosenRosen wrote:

Yes she plays Echo and Faith exactly the same, it's impossible to tell the difference.

SVU_Obsessed

[71]Apr 19, 2009
    • level: 22
    Woops, I think some sarcasm dripped on me, be careful with that stuff Twisted